B&H not an authorized Nikon dealer?

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions
OP Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: You've got to be kidding me

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods.

You've got to be kidding me. This is some serious allegation, partner.

Which is why he said:

darinb wrote:

That was the day I stopped shopping at my local camera store and stopped feeling guilty about it.

-- hide signature --
pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,868
Re: B&H not an authorized Nikon dealer?

True they do sell gray market but also Nikon USA. I was asking about matching on Nikon USA model not gray market. They insisted they were all gray market.

pyzon wrote:

aye dont want to be going there, B&H do sell grey but it's clearly labelled as such and you don't get the warranty card obviously, but they almost always have the US equivalent....

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

Robin Casady wrote:

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods.

Which is why he said:

darinb wrote:

That was the day I stopped shopping at my local camera store and stopped feeling guilty about it.

Unbelievable that one camera shop would bad-mouth another to drum up sales. That's a really quick way to lose customer loyalty for sure.

Harry Thomas Arnold Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Could explain why B&H does not seem to be shipping as much ...

Okay, As of yesterday, Friday 20120323, it does not appear that B&H is still authorized.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Corporate/Where-to-Buy/Nikon_Authorized_Dealers.pdf
--
hthomasa

Harry Thomas Arnold's gear list:Harry Thomas Arnold's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: I don't think you can be an authorized Nikon dealer & sell grey also.

pavi1 wrote:

True they do sell gray market but also Nikon USA.

My understanding was if you sell grey, Nikon will not allow you to be their authorised seller at the same time, we had that problem with an authorised Nikon dealer here in Perth, they started to sell grey and Nikon crossed them off its list.

http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

ScottnLaguna
ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 756

Makes sense to me. They don't want the competition. Maybe this is why B&H is not getting the new cameras. Noticed Best Buy in good standing.

ScottnLaguna's gear list:ScottnLaguna's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
OP Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

lanef wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

My understanding was if you sell grey, Nikon will not allow you to be their authorised seller at the same time, we had that problem with an authorised Nikon dealer here in Perth, they started to sell grey and Nikon crossed them off its list.

Is that policy set by Nikon Australia, or Nikon Corporation (株式会社ニコン Kabushiki-gaisha Nikon?)?

B&H has sold grey market for a very longtime, and they show up on older authorized dealer lists.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

Robin Casady wrote:

lanef wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Is that policy set by Nikon Australia, or Nikon Corporation (株式会社ニコン Kabushiki-gaisha Nikon?)?

B&H has sold grey market for a very longtime, and they show up on older authorized dealer lists.

I am talking from experience here, an authorised dealer I used to buy my stuff from who started to sell grey and when Nikon was aware of it, they stopped to supply that business with their stock; I had a long email communication with Nikon AU about it, but may be Nikon US does it differently, I don't know.

http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

SethG Senior Member • Posts: 1,128

darinb wrote:

About five years ago I was at our nearest brick and mortar store in Palo Alto trying hard to patronize local businesses. I was looking for a shoulder case but everything I wanted was (literally) twice the online price.

I brought it up to the salesperson in a friendly way, asking if there were any sales or discounts available as I'd really lie to give them some profit vs no profit. I mentioned B&H.

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods. All this while a second salesperson is listening, head nodding. He went on and on along these lines for a few minutes.

Well, it's true if by "fall" they mean "lifted and carefully transported at the loading docks" And if by "stolen" they mean "They get the lowest prices from the manufacturers because of their volume" so they're getting a steal from the distributor.

But...wow. That's all I have to say about those guys. Just...wow. I hope you weren't at K&S...
--

• Seth -

SethG's gear list:SethG's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
marty Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Yeah, it's a well-known fact . . .

Authorized Nikon Dealers as of Jan 9, 2012*

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Corporate/Where-to-Buy/Authorized_Dealers2011.pdf

They would have been taken off in the last few months. This is the latest I could find

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596

B&H is on the list of authorized Nikon dealers as of Jan 9, 2012.

However, on 2 newer lists (March 7, 2012 & March 23, 2012), they are no longer listed, at least under the name B&H.

This worries me. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
electric eel Regular Member • Posts: 134

Nikon and B&H work very very closely together. Many years ago there was legislation that leveled the playing field, it required that every retailer be given the same price by the distributor. And companies like Nikon had to play by the rules, kind of. A high volume store (where I was employed) did pay the same price as the smaller volume stores, except the company representative would walk in on occasion with a box of lenses as free goods.

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,638
BH rocks...

and will always sell Nikon with USA warranties...

Bob P.

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

Amazon is on the list as a NPD dealer. So is Best Buy. Walmart and Target are NID dealers. Rita Camera is also off the list.

Oddly, Adorama also still sells gray market Nikon and Canon stuff and they are on the list so it can't be that B&H got a slap-down by Nikon USA for gray market products.

Here's some stuff on gray market Nikon stuff off the Nikon USA site: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/~/what-is-gray-market%3F Pretty much SOL on getting gray market Nikon stuff fixed anywhere now as they tell you to "Send it to the gray market importer."

Mack

Event_shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
I bout my 800E from B&H and.....

Proof Nikon and B&H work hand in hand. If B&H wasn't authorized Nikon wouldn't give them the time of day, instead they are working as a team.

...because I'm NPS I paid B&H, and Nikon will drop ship to me directly. I got a note from Nikon..

Dear NPS Member,

We received your priority request for the D800E and are getting ready to ship cameras. In the case of B&H orders – these cameras will be drop shipped directly to you instead of the store.

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Re: I bout my 800E from B&H and.....

Event_shooter wrote:

Proof Nikon and B&H work hand in hand. If B&H wasn't authorized Nikon wouldn't give them the time of day, instead they are working as a team.

...because I'm NPS I paid B&H, and Nikon will drop ship to me directly. I got a note from Nikon..

Dear NPS Member,

We received your priority request for the D800E and are getting ready to ship cameras. In the case of B&H orders – these cameras will be drop shipped directly to you instead of the store.

Thanks for the info, Event_shooter.

Is it customary for Nikon to drop ship directly to NPS members, bypassing the retail outlet? -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
darinb Contributing Member • Posts: 547

Yes, exactly. Just to be clear, I never for a second believed the story. I'm sure it was just a few misguided employees.

I have dealt with B&H for years, including a return or two, and have had nothing but world class service and zero b.s.

-- hide signature --

Darin

Robin Casady wrote:

reginalddwight wrote:

darinb wrote:

Which is why he said:

darinb wrote:

--
Darin Boville

My photo site: http://www.darinboville.com
My new blog, A Bigger Camera: http://www.biggercamera.com

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224

Robin Casady wrote:

Nikon USA has this list of authorized Nikon dealers:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Corporate/Where-to-Buy/Nikon_Authorized_Dealers.pdf

I don't find B&H in there. Do they go by a different name? Did Nikon USA make a mistake? Or, did B&H lose their authorized status?

Well don't they sell "grey market imports" as well as Nikon US stock? That might have something to do with it

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more

iwannabesedated wrote:

B&H is on the list of authorized Nikon dealers as of Jan 9, 2012.

However, on 2 newer lists (March 7, 2012 & March 23, 2012), they are no longer listed, at least under the name B&H.

This worries me. -iwbs

Why? - maybe they just refuse to be bullied by Nikon US, which could be a good thing for their customers.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more

darinb wrote:

About five years ago I was at our nearest brick and mortar store in Palo Alto trying hard to patronize local businesses. I was looking for a shoulder case but everything I wanted was (literally) twice the online price.

I brought it up to the salesperson in a friendly way, asking if there were any sales or discounts available as I'd really lie to give them some profit vs no profit. I mentioned B&H.

He asked me if I knew how B&H got their stuff. I said, well, I guess they buy it from the manufacturer. He said, nope. They get it "from the boxes that fall off the backs of trucks." That is to say, it's all stolen goods. All this while a second salesperson is listening, head nodding. He went on and on along these lines for a few minutes.

That would have to be an awful lot of boxes falling off an awful lot of trucks.

Of course - it's another one of those conspiracies by the Teamsters Union

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads