E5 CF Card Error

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions
UncleLJ Contributing Member • Posts: 893
E5 CF Card Error

Due to being either home for 2 weeks, or at camp for 4 weeks, I keep an SD card and a CF card in my E5, usually using just one. Having come back in to camp, I was loading the pics from the SD card on to my computer, so went to switch to the CF card until I backed up the images.

Well, the camera now reads "Card Error". I could not even format the CF card. I have one other CF card here in camp and tried it..same message "Card Error". Again, cannot format. Both CF cards previously worked and they can both have files transferred and read on them while connected to the computer. So, most likely some problem with the camera? Please, no? SD cards work fine, though, it seems. Anyone else had this problem? Not exactly sure when it may have started and will not be able to try another CF card til I get home in 3+ weeks. Dread having to send the camera in, the grizzlies should be out soon

Not sure if I am really looking for an answer, just wondering if anyone has suffered the same issue. Even updated the firmware today.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated...or do I have to do the obvious? (If I want CF to work?
--
Lawrence "Uncle LJ" Sauter
http://lawrencejsauter.smugmug.com
http://ljsauter.zenfolio.com/

UncleLJ's gear list:UncleLJ's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevemikt Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: E5 CF Card Error

My E-5 just did the same thing. Of coarse it is 2 months out of warranty. The Card that showed the error works in all of my other cameras and readers.

egalvan Regular Member • Posts: 175

This has happened to others on this forum on just about all the Olympus DSLR's, it is usually bent pin or pins in the CF slot in the camera. Use flashlight to inspect the cf slot and check for bent or broken pins, if that is the case and you are very careful and very lucky you might be able to straighten the pin. Good Luck.
--
egalvan

egalvan's gear list:egalvan's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-5
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

Hi Lawrence.

It looks like a bent or pushed pin. You might have to push through with the SD card untill you can get it checked out.

I had a bad CF card that bent the pins in a camera and 2 X readers. I have also had a pin break off in the reader and stay in CF card fortunatley I felt resistance and stoped trying to insert it. I have also hear of somthing getting into the slot and not allowing the card to seat properly. Have a loo with a light. But if it's bent I can advise you from past experiance don't try and fix it.

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,389

I have a Maxwell 16 GB CF card that did the same thing. I replaced it with a Sandisk CF card and everything works fine. I then reformatted the faulty CF card from the card reader through my computer and put it back in the camera and reformatted the Maxwell CF card again; now everything works fine. I don't know what was going on but I will be carefull with the one that acted up.

Joe

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
OP UncleLJ Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Thank you, egalvan. I took a look and yes, definitely looks like a bent pin. Although I have nothing here that would aid me in doing a self repair. Appreciate the advise.

egalvan wrote:

This has happened to others on this forum on just about all the Olympus DSLR's, it is usually bent pin or pins in the CF slot in the camera. Use flashlight to inspect the cf slot and check for bent or broken pins, if that is the case and you are very careful and very lucky you might be able to straighten the pin. Good Luck.
--
egalvan

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
OP UncleLJ Contributing Member • Posts: 893

CollBaxter wrote:

Hi Lawrence.

It looks like a bent or pushed pin. You might have to push through with the SD card untill you can get it checked out.

Thanks Collin. Yes, is definitely a bent pin. I have nothing here to help me in trying to do a self repair, nor do I dare try...much too tiny a spot for me to screw around with. Thanks for the help.
BTW...tired of winter here, want me to send it your way?

I had a bad CF card that bent the pins in a camera and 2 X readers. I have also had a pin break off in the reader and stay in CF card fortunatley I felt resistance and stoped trying to insert it. I have also hear of somthing getting into the slot and not allowing the card to seat properly. Have a loo with a light. But if it's bent I can advise you from past experiance don't try and fix it.

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

-- hide signature --
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,694

Well, I have noticed a rash of 'Card Error' problems over the past 8-12 months with my E-5. It is currently about 15 months old. There are no bent pins inthe CF slot. I would be surprised if there were having owned and used several hundred CF based devices in the past 15 years and never having bent a pin to date.

The problem seems fairly consistent, although I have yet to find a common root cause. In every case the camera has for some reason created a file with non-ascii characters in the file name. This file cannot be deleted by my XP based PC. I can still cut and paste all of the good files off the card and seem to have never lost more than one image, if that. It does seem to me that it occurs mostly when using high speed sequential which I tend to use for action and even handheld macro shots. I thought it might be tied to hitting the 'play' button while the camera is still processing the last burst, but I am not certain. The one thing that seems to be common so far is that it has only occurred on my 16GB cards. These are multiple brands, Patriot, Duracell and Delkin Devices, at least two are UDMA. I use a variety of other card brands and sizes, mostly 8GB these days, of those I think only one is UDMA speced and I have not had that in the camera very often. I wonder if anyone else is seeing the issue with specific sizes or types of cards?

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Rich Z
Rich Z Veteran Member • Posts: 8,812

Lawrence, if you do have a bent pin, you might try a watch repair shop which does it's own work. I've done before, with mechanical camera problems and had good luck. I had an old Rokkor lens which had completely frozen up in storage, like Tin Man in Oz. He took it apart and reassembled it and it worked fine. Only $20, but 1972 bucks. Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,064

Do you format or erase the files on your E 5? Formatting in the camera should remove any files on the card. I have had no problems with 16gb cards in either slot.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
theotherguy Junior Member • Posts: 49

Having experienced the same thing with Kingston 32gig cards and other Mfg's cards, I became suspicious of the camera having a problem.

Kingston support requested that I format the card with the utility from their support site might helpthe issue and it does correct the problem for a several card cycles or more.

Mixing video and stills seems to compound the problem.

No bent or dirty pins, several cards used regularly, the larger the card the more it happens.

My E5 is one of the early ones, this started about a year after getting it. (2New, 20, Oct 2010)

Hope that helps.

EdD

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,694

I generally format them in the camera after the issue. I tend to reformat all my cards before any major photo expeditions as well. It is very inconsistent in occurrence which is why i am having a tough time doing a root cause analysis. In the past 6 months I would guess I have had this happen 3-4 times across all 3 16GB cards. These have probably been reformatted 6 times each in that period. I am just glad that I have not lost any photos so far. Still that is the longer term concern.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Darlene_Y Forum Member • Posts: 97

Hi, I just saw this thread tonight. I have problems with a Proflash 16gb card if I shoot in burst mode. I bought the card in January. I do a lot of water drop photography and find that if I have a long session the card just stops working flashing up card error. When I use a card reader to load the photos onto my laptop it will only load half the photos. I have to open the file itself and then ask lightroom to import new files only. That way I get the rest of the files.

I format the card before each use. Use it for only one project at a time. I have also had problems with not being able to delete certain files almost like they are locked. They come from the same card. I have no problems with my 8gb cards and I have cards from three different manufactures. The Proflash is the only one with this problem.

Darlene

darleneyoung.smugmug.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads