Off Camera Mic for NEX-7 Video Suggestions Please

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions
Vaughn T.Winfree
Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Off Camera Mic for NEX-7 Video Suggestions Please

The audio on the NEX-7 does pick up a lot of background and wind noise, etc.

Was wondering what some have done to improve the audio quality for what is on the NEX cameras or what suggestions for off camera Mic to be used?

Perhaps a small boom directional mic for some things I would liek to do and even a wireless setup when wanting to place a mic on another person....Web site links welcome to look into what I could use.. What are some of you using with your nex off camera???
Thanks in advance...
--
Vaughn T. Winfree

'Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's
heaven on earth.' --Mark Twain

'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mauthbaux Junior Member • Posts: 33
I use a Zoom H1

I currently use a Zoom H1 for off-camera audio recording. It runs about $100USD, and is very capable. My experience with it suggest that it may not be as directional as you want though, so you may consider the Zoom H2n (about $200USD) which has various options for configuring its internal mics that allow for more directionality.

My reasons for needing it are a little different than yours though. I like to video live local bands, and the sound pressure levels at the shows were completely overwhelming the built-in mics.

mauthbaux's gear list:mauthbaux's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248
Re: I use a Zoom H1

I've been eyeing something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-07MKII-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004TE5HBU/

It's a TASCAM and it's one step above the lowest end models, but the mics are swivel-able (if that's a word).

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Vaughn T.Winfree
OP Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Re: I use a Zoom H1..Do they plug in....

Can you plug these into the camera to record audio right into the camera as well?
Or do you dub in a separate soundtrack from the recorder?
Vaughn

sean lancaster wrote:

I've been eyeing something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-07MKII-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004TE5HBU/

It's a TASCAM and it's one step above the lowest end models, but the mics are swivel-able (if that's a word).

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree

'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Gary H Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: Off Camera Mic for NEX-7 Video Suggestions Please

I use a Rhodes microphone, which was designed for this purpose.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 +20 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248
Re: I use a Zoom H1..Do they plug in....

I believe it can be plugged into the camera, but honestly I haven't checked because I have the NEX-5N and dubbing separately is my only option.

Vaughn T.Winfree wrote:

Can you plug these into the camera to record audio right into the camera as well?
Or do you dub in a separate soundtrack from the recorder?
Vaughn

sean lancaster wrote:

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
elithrar Regular Member • Posts: 110

Look at a Rode VideoPro ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744768-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_PRO_VideoMic_Pro_Compact_Shotgun.html ) for a good "all around" microphone. Mounts in the hot-shoe and has a 3.5mm jack so you can record directly into the NEX-7.

It's obviously not the only solution, but is quite popular and relatively compact. Otherwise, if you want to record off-camera, get a Zoom H4N.

-- hide signature --
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

get a Zoom H4N

or better a Zoom H1 for half price (less than 99$)

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,204
I'll be trying my Oly LS-10

Discontinued now but there are newer models. You can adjust the levels in the recorder.
--
tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +24 more
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: I'll be trying my Oly LS-10

I hope you are very good at audio, It can be a pain when it captures average sound.

I keep my Zoom H4n off camera and put the sony mic on the my Nex-5n, this way I have TWO sound tracks to pick the best from. I want Back up.

Food for thought, unless you have a fat mind!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
DouglasG
DouglasG Regular Member • Posts: 286

There´s several ways to record audio to the Nex 7, but you must know about the Nex AGC limitations.

-Rode VideoMic Pro (this is the option i prefer)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744768-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_PRO_VideoMic_Pro_Compact_Shotgun.html

-External recorder as Zoom or Tascan with a atenuator cable to the camera as the Sescom

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755857-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZMGH_MON_LN2MIC_ZMGHN_MON_Line_Out_to.html

-Audio adapter that disable the AGC and control of the audio levels, do you need a external mic to use with.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674344-REG/Beachtek_DXA_SLR_DXA_SLR_Active_Audio_Adapter.html

Cheers
--
Sony Nex FS100 | Sony Alpha 65 | Sony Nex 5n
MacPro 8-Core | Led Cinema 24" | 4TB | 14GB
Maya 2012 | Creative suite CS5.5 | ZBrush4r2

DouglasG's gear list:DouglasG's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha a7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Vaughn T.Winfree
OP Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036

Thanks for all of the great information...
--
Vaughn T. Winfree

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads