External Portable Hard drive

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions
lou Capeloto Contributing Member • Posts: 796
External Portable Hard drive

Hi

Looking for a good portable hard drive for mac
Also have a small netbook pc want to use it with for travel

In the past I bought several years back a WD 500gb hard drive and half the time it was recognized half the time not

Would like a good dependable 1tb solid portable hard drive

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

LC

-- hide signature --
 lou Capeloto's gear list:lou Capeloto's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
owenleve
owenleve Senior Member • Posts: 2,761
Re: External Portable Hard drive

Have had excellent results with drives from g-technologies. I have about 10 of their drives in various sizes from 500gb to 4tb. Only had issues with one of their desktop drives when the fan became lose and rubbed. They replaced the drive without question.

DO NOT BUY LACIE.
--

http://www.courtlevephoto.com
http://www.courtlevephotography.com

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,627

good results from OWC's Mini Elite w/ USB, FW and eSATA

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,760

I agree . . . I have 7 dead LaCie drives laying around my business that I need to throw out.

owenleve wrote:

DO NOT BUY LACIE.

Calroadbiker Junior Member • Posts: 40

knox wrote:

I agree . . . I have 7 dead LaCie drives laying around my business that I need to throw out.

If you're in a mood to get rid of them, send them to me! I can probably cobble together some working drives from all the parts. I'd sure appreciate it.

Paul

-- hide signature --

I got a camera. I take pictures.

tundracamper Senior Member • Posts: 1,818

owenleve wrote:

DO NOT BUY LACIE.

Guess I haven't been that unlucky. I have three of the large desktop drives that get moved occasionally. I also have something like 4 of the little USB powered rugged drives. They have been handled pretty roughly (including many miles in the back of a trailer). Never had a problem with any of them. The "rugged" drives have never once failed to boot, despite being plugged and unplugged all the time.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 5,934

I have one LaCie and I feel blessed that it's still running... The rest of my drives have all come from OWC, never a problem. These are great for travel:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

If you want it to work on both your Mac and with a PC netbook, you'll have to have a plan. For example you could leave it Mac formatted and use HFSExplorer on the netbook to read the files. Various approaches can be found on the web.

Noreen CT Regular Member • Posts: 199

I have an older Seagate that has not given me any trouble, but it is only 640 GB. Also have an even older and even smaller WD, but I don't like the way it appears in Finder. I use the 640 GB Seagate actively to off-load iPhoto libraries and iMovie files, and it is plugged in & unplugged often.

The computer is backed up to a 1TB drive but it is in the safe deposit box so I can't verify its brand. It doesn't see regular use other than periodic back-ups, so I can't say how it would hold up to regular use.

vdubreeze Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

I have stacks and stacks of bus powered portables. I love my WD Passports, even though I hate the company, because they were cheap for FW800 at the time and have worked fine for years. The rest span the OWC models generations, and since the SATA era I've never had a hiccup with one. I always say pick from an assortment of port configurations from there and just be done with it : ) Built well.

The LaCie portables work great because it's with continually supplying and resupplying faulty power supplies that LaCie shoots themselves. It isn't their portables that have been croaking over the years, but I still don't have any reason to pick one over OWC.

vdubreeze's gear list:vdubreeze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Warren Sam Cook
Warren Sam Cook Regular Member • Posts: 236
Just go to Costco and buy WD USB drives

One or two TB, dirt cheap; use as backup and recovery: I put a Dymo label on each one as they fill, then unplug them and keep them in a Tupperware container until (not if) they are needed for recovery of an older file. Put one in a bank vault! Even with a D800 it will take a little time for the drives to fill, so why not?
--
wcook

Noreen CT Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Just go to Costco and buy WD USB drives

Warren Sam Cook wrote:

One or two TB, dirt cheap; use as backup and recovery: I put a Dymo label on each one as they fill, then unplug them and keep them in a Tupperware container until (not if) they are needed for recovery of an older file. Put one in a bank vault! Even with a D800 it will take a little time for the drives to fill, so why not?
--
wcook

We put it in the safe deposit box b/c of the risk of house fire. A few years ago a neighbor lost most of the contents of his house to fire. I realized that we were storing the Time Capsule and back-up hard drives in the basement, where water would eventually flow if a fire needed to be extinguished. I need to be better about backing up to the drives.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads