UWA suggestions - NOT fisheye

Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions
Wanganuilad
Wanganuilad Senior Member • Posts: 2,210
Re: Wide and sharp shooting it does...

My similar quest led to the Sigma 8-16.
No regrets at all. It is very solid, compact and tightly made.
The manual focus is even better than the DA I sold to get it.
I like the huge cap and the surface finish
As for the range, it is like I got the DA14 back and all the rest is a bonus.
Really liking the long end as well as the ridiculously wide 8

It seems to suit the K-5 with its profusion of megapixies,

did some garden shots with full sun and deep shade yesterday. Very happy with the sharp rich results with no chromatic issues at all.

The DA14 was quite a hard act to follow with its close focus goods, but the sigma gets just as close. I love how linear it is, offering tantalising architecture possibilities.

The only reason not to get this lens is the difficulty of using filters.

I say 'difficulty' rather than the usual 'no chance' as some enthusiasts are already hanging huge solutions off the front

Pete
--
K-5 some Len

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 13,945
Re: UWA suggestions - NOT fisheye

steveTQP wrote:

David, thanks for the advice on the Sigma 8-16, regading "decentered samples". Being into Pentax, I would be interested in the K-Mount version of the Sigma 8-16. I realize that buying ANY lens is a crapshoot, as I've had a few issues even with Pentax "Limited" versions, but by and large, I think Pentax Quality Control is not bad. Not ever owning a third-party lens like Sigma, I cannot speak to their Quality Control, but judging from the many glowing reviews of the 8-16, I remain hopeful that I would get a good copy, if I go that route.

I've owned a few Sigma lenses and never had any QC issues: ditto Pentax. I think the majority of lenses from any maker are good - the chances of getting a poor copy are probably pretty much the same from any but Leica.

I was debating on the Pentax 12-24 as well, but am intrigued by the extra 4mm of the Sigma! Thanks again.

Sigma 8-16 mounted on a tripod: first shot at 8mm, then zoomed in to 12mm and the zoomed image superimposed.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

cmeier Forum Member • Posts: 94

I am also looking for a rectilinear UWA and am almost set on the Samyang/Bower/Vivitar/Rokinon 14 (or 13 -- Vivitar's meters are longer). Have you considered it?

The IQ is probably not the very best, and has some distortion, but for me it will be more than enough.

And it's manual focus, of course, but at 14mm, it should be pretty difficult to miss focus.

I am particularly drawn to it because it is FF, and I sometimes still shoot film.

cmeier's gear list:cmeier's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Samsung D-Xenon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
steveTQP
steveTQP Regular Member • Posts: 207

Wow, Gerry! Thanks for your detailed post. I take it your recommend the 8-16 then. The difference between 8 and 12 is quite dramatic indeed! I think I shall enjoy the Sigma 8-16...now only must figure how to finance it!
Steve
--
Steve Solomon
steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
Azzy Regular Member • Posts: 283

Keep in mind that you won't be able to use normal filters for the 8-16mm, which is the main reason why I go the DA12-24mm instead.

Twong Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: There can be only one...

Totally agree. The 8-16 replaced a Sigma 10-20. Besides not being able to use filter, the next issue is the relatively slow aperture but not a deal breaker though. Here are some pictures taken just in the last two weeks in Spain.

newmikey wrote:

No, NOT Highlander! The 8-16mm!

It outperforms any of its sisters (the Sigma 10-20's) or neighbors (Sigma12-24, Tammy10-24 etc.) in both reach, sharpness and quality. The only contender is Pentax's own 12-24 which at least on paper seems to have better corner and edge performance but a lot less reach on the wide side.
--
http://newmikey.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/newmikey

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +18 more
Twong Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Samyang 14mm f2.8

The Samyang 14mm f2.8 is another option but it is not a zoom. It is optically excellent but MF only.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +18 more
hagla Regular Member • Posts: 123

I bought the Samyang 14/2.8 for UWA photos with my K-5 and I think this lens is quite a good performer, and I am happy with it, even if I'm really a zoom kind of guy and have become lazy and has adapted to what autofocus can do for me.
(In this photo I had by mistake set FL for SR to 35 mm, not the correct 15 mm)

-- hide signature --

Hans, one happy guy behind a Pentax camera
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hagla56
WSSA member #336PX

hagla's gear list:hagla's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-7 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax *ist DS +11 more
malcolmw Forum Member • Posts: 92

Another vote for the Sigma 8-16. The only negative I have is that Pentax refuses to register anything less than 10mm in EXIF. That means the excellent lens correction in Lightroom will not work on wide open shots.

CopCarSS
CopCarSS Senior Member • Posts: 1,967
A Forgotten Lens of Pentaxia

The DA 14mm f2.8 seems to get forgotten a lot these days. The DA 15mm, DA 12-24 and the various UWA zooms from third parties get a lot more love. That being said, I love my DA 14, and it's one of my most used lenses. It's recorded some very memorable images for me, too:

Because they're somewhat forgotten, they seem to go fairly cheaply on the used market. Don't let that fool you. It's a good lens, especially if you can stop it down a bit.

-- hide signature --

Chris
Denver, CO

CopCarSS's gear list:CopCarSS's gear list
Nikon D600 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
SRT201
OP SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,519
Re: A Forgotten Lens of Pentaxia

Great shots!
--

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

CopCarSS
CopCarSS Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

Thank you very much!
--
Chris
Denver, CO

CopCarSS's gear list:CopCarSS's gear list
Nikon D600 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
UtahManSir Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659

Very nice group! Strong argument for the lens!

Lloyd
--

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken

http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354

pentaxnut Regular Member • Posts: 332

Hmmmm....LBA alert....lol...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads