Wide angle Lens Suggestions?

Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions
Shinjitago New Member • Posts: 8
Wide angle Lens Suggestions?

Hello, I am looking for suggestions on a wide-angle(non-fisheye) Fast zoom lens, I take photography at really dark clubs/areas using a Nikon D5100 accompanied with a sb-700 flash with a Gary Fong(Clouded) attachment.

In general there is one Lens that looks absolutely amazing for what I am looking for but it costs about 2 grand and I'm not really looking to spend that much on a lens just yet

-- hide signature --

> http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2163/AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-f%252F2.8G-ED.html

I've been looking for a few weeks now, I typically use shutter lag with the standard Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 VR Lens.

I am looking to get more of a wider angle but still have a zoom capability while in "close corners" with people. I do not require it to be a nikon brand but atleast can work with AF.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Doug J Veteran Member • Posts: 9,625
Re: Wide angle Lens Suggestions?

You might try posting in the Nikon Lens forum, this one is for news. You'll get more replies & suggestions in the lens forum than here.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Shinjitago wrote:

Hello, I am looking for suggestions on a wide-angle(non-fisheye) Fast zoom lens, I take photography at really dark clubs/areas using a Nikon D5100 accompanied with a sb-700 flash with a Gary Fong(Clouded) attachment.

In general there is one Lens that looks absolutely amazing for what I am looking for but it costs about 2 grand and I'm not really looking to spend that much on a lens just yet

The lens you're looking at is an FX (full frame) lens, overkill on you camera, not to mention heavy, and very vulnerable with its bulging front element, that can't be protected by a filter. Normally, I don't use protective filters, but clubs are an exception. Here's a couple to consider...

• Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, about $700 new.

• Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, about $500 new.

• Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX, about $1000 used, if you shop around.

That Tokina 11-16 is the ultimate "in your face" lens. Pair it with a decent 16-50, 17-50, or 17-55, and you can do anything.

Oh, and like Doug says, the Nikon lens forum is a much better place to ask this...

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
OP Shinjitago New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Shinjitago wrote:

The lens you're looking at is an FX (full frame) lens, overkill on you camera, not to mention heavy, and very vulnerable with its bulging front element, that can't be protected by a filter. Normally, I don't use protective filters, but clubs are an exception. Here's a couple to consider...

• Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, about $500 new.

• Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX, about $1000 used, if you shop around.

That Tokina 11-16 is the ultimate "in your face" lens. Pair it with a decent 16-50, 17-50, or 17-55, and you can do anything.

Oh, and like Doug says, the Nikon lens forum is a much better place to ask this...

-- hide signature --

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

Ahh thats my fault, Im still kinda of new to the forums and was pretty tired when I posted this, The lens you provided are pretty useful and look like they can give it out pretty well for what im looking for. Thank you very much info and for the tips Joseph ^-^

Ryan

stasvolik Contributing Member • Posts: 570
Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

AFAIK, Tokina won't AF on D5100 - I'm not sure how important that is for club shooting in general and OP in particular. Maybe the new Sigma 10-20F/3.5 would fill the bill better - it's HSM lens after all and loses only half a stop to Tokina. It requires large filters (82mm IIRC), but protective filters are not as expensive as polarizers...

Shinjitago wrote:

.... Normally, I don't use protective filters, but clubs are an exception. Here's a couple to consider...

-- hide signature --

Comments and critiques are always welcome .

Cheers,
Stas.

stasvolik's gear list:stasvolik's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
Version that works on D5100 shipping soon...

stasvolik wrote:

AFAIK, Tokina won't AF on D5100

Good point.

Tokina is pretty slow with these things. I remember them announcing they're upgrading the lens with an internal motor so that it works on the Nikon D3100, D5100, etc.

I thought it would be out by now, but when I dug up the announcement, they say April.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/Tokina_AT-X_116_Pro_DX_II

I'm not sure how important that is for club shooting in general

You'd be surprised how important it is when you're doing those surreal "in your face" ultrawide shots at f2.8.

and OP in particular. Maybe the new Sigma 10-20F/3.5 would fill the bill better - it's HSM lens after all and loses only half a stop to Tokina. It requires large filters (82mm IIRC), but protective filters are not as expensive as polarizers...

Shinjitago wrote:

.... Normally, I don't use protective filters, but clubs are an exception. Here's a couple to consider...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Stas.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770

Shinjitago wrote:

-- hide signature --

> http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2163/AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-f%252F2.8G-ED.html

I've been looking for a few weeks now, I typically use shutter lag with the standard Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 VR Lens.

I am looking to get more of a wider angle but still have a zoom capability while in "close corners" with people. I do not require it to be a nikon brand but atleast can work with AF.

Because you shoot in dark clubs, it would probably be helpful to have a fast lens. Fast + wide angle is rare. Rarer still for DX.

As the other people have noted, Tokina has an 11-16 f2.8 lens due to start shipping real soon.

Zeiss has a 15mm f2.8 manual focus lens due out very soon which based on early testing seems to be very nice.

Alternately you could use the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye and de-fish the results later in software.

Another option is to use two lenses. 1 for very wide (but not very fast) and 1 for very fast (but not very wide)
For example, teaming the Nikon 10-24 with the Sigma 20mm f1.8

Ultimately for your type of photography, it would be easier with a Nikon d700 body. It needs less than half the light for the same results as the d5100. And because it is full-frame, lenses will be wider on it (assuming they are FX lenses).

For example, the 20mm f1.8 Sigma would give you the same angle of view and same light gathering as a 13mm f/1.0 lens on your d5100

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Jim_Ryder Regular Member • Posts: 489

The Tokina wide angle with auto focus motor is in stock at B&H :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

Re: Version that works on D5100 shipping soon...

Thanks, I missed it. I wonder how good Tokina's BIM is. Hopefully it's "full-blown" type, that allows full-time manual override.

... I remember them announcing they're upgrading the lens with an internal motor so that it works on the Nikon D3100, D5100, etc.

I thought it would be out by now, but when I dug up the announcement, they say April.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/Tokina_AT-X_116_Pro_DX_II

--

Cheers,
Stas.

Nikon Coolpix 5400 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
This is a link for the old, screw-driven version.

This link is for the original screw-driven lens:
"One-Touch Focus Clutch Mechanism" - from specs.

Jim_Ryder wrote:

The Tokina wide angle with auto focus motor is in stock at B&H :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Stas.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads