Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,630
D800 high ISO raw crops edited in LR

ISO 6400, Lum NR 10, color NR 25, sharpen 25

ISO 12800 LUM NR 10, color NR 25, sharpen 25

I am pretty pleased with these, confirms my intent to order this summer

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ohmydentist Senior Member • Posts: 1,933
Re: D800 high ISO raw crops edited in LR

I see, rely on pp techniques for keepers now?

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

nikoj Contributing Member • Posts: 789

ohmydentist wrote:

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

I don't see anything wrong with doing some PP to get the best out of an image.

nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
myshkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

Just another D800 hater. What a silly thing to say.

sandy b
OP sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,630

I don't know about you, but yes, I pretty much always PP, and certainly at high ISO. Cooked or not, these look good to me. good color, good detail and low noise. I also realize these are not low light tests, but i think for my needs the camera will be just fine. YMMV.

Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

sandy b wrote:

I don't know about you, but yes, I pretty much always PP, and certainly at high ISO. Cooked or not, these look good to me. good color, good detail and low noise. I also realize these are not low light tests, but i think for my needs the camera will be just fine. YMMV.

Just fine? Don't let the haters temper your enthusiasm. The D800 is going to be GREAT, and your PP in LR looks great. No need to explain anything to me, or most people here. We get it.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
sandy b
OP sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,630
One more, 25,600

This is getting to the point of academic interest only, but useable for web

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
You can get it a lot better

and I promise you, it prints great at A4 sized ( just did that). You do need to get the micro contrast up and put a bit more saturation in it, and tickle the luminance NR a bit more. Color noise works enough at 25 for me too.

Than increase the sharpening with a radius at 2, and details set to about 50. The noise is so low but you can still see the furr in goofy.

I do not like about these test scenes, because it doesn't contain the typical noise profile of a real low light scene. Noise will be distributed differently across the RGB channels and cleaning should be done per channel to get the best results. But ACR doesn't let you do that.

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

myshkin wrote:

Just another D800 hater. What a silly thing to say.

Hater or sour grapes syndrome.

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
For 3000 euro diff, you have a lot of RAM and SSD

Look at it this way, D800 will be a good compromise to save on a D4 for ISO up to 12.800.

For the difference in cost, you could get a very fast pc with lots of RAM and SSD disks to make PP going painless

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Zlik Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: For 3000 euro diff, you have a lot of RAM and SSD

Dominique Dierick wrote:

Look at it this way, D800 will be a good compromise to save on a D4 for ISO up to 12.800.

For the difference in cost, you could get a very fast pc with lots of RAM and SSD disks to make PP going painless

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Exactly. I sold my D3s for $4,3k and with that amount I can get a new D800 + grip + some RAM and HDDs for my PC.

O_O Junior Member • Posts: 32

ohmydentist wrote:

rely on pp techniques is much better than in-camera NR.

Tom FX Regular Member • Posts: 122
So you think those are good?

They look awesome thank you for sharing, I didn't think I could get any more excited!

Now where's my pills?

Regards
Tom

Peter Gregg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,749
Raw MUST be procesed!

All files out of EVERY digital camera must be processed.

Either the camera does it for you according to your settings inside the camera using the camera's computer, or you finish the picture in your own computer using a program of your choice.

To say otherwise is a position of ignorance about the entire digital camera procedure.

The amount of processing can be controlled, and that is why people will say what has happened to the file they are displaying. Or it can be disguised as a "spin" by saying "straight out the camera JPG file" and that means the camera processed it to the settings in it's menu.

You ALWAYS get the true ability of a camera sensor from a RAW file, and someone who posts a jpg from a raw file and tells you what has been done to the file is on the ball. The "straight out of the camera" jpg is a cop-out as it implies an untouched file - when it certainly is not. It is Nikon's (Canon's, Olympus' etc) interpretation of the file.

Many people feel they can do better than the camera manufacturer at processing a file. The manufacturer has an agenda, we may have a different agenda in mind and why we either re-tune the jpg settings in camera - or - shoot RAW and finish the file in the computer.

Peter

-- hide signature --

'Life is good - eternal life is better'

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5
reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

Many thanks for your efforts. After some PP, the ISO 6400 image looks very useable to me.

NektonFi Regular Member • Posts: 139

Here is my take with Lightroom 4 and D800 vs D4. Both at ISO 6400 with default LR settings, only D800 downsized to match D4 size:

D800 on the left.

Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109

NektonFi wrote:

D800 on the left.

D4 wins that battle.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,422
Re: Raw MUST be procesed!

Eternal life, mwah hah hah!

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,494

ohmydentist wrote:

Yes. It's called doing it properly.

John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,494

Biggs23 wrote:

NektonFi wrote:

D800 on the left.

D4 wins that battle.

But it's incredibly close.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads