I love advanced, small cameras.

Have owned:
Canon S50, G7, G9, G11
Ricoh GX100, GX100
Pana LX1, LX5
Leica D-LUX 3, D-LUX 4, and Digilux 2
Sigma DP1, DP2
... and many others

Have tried: Samsung EX1/TL500, Olympus XZ1, G1X, and many, many others.

I recently asked B&H to send me an X10 to serve as an advanced small sensor zoom camera to compare with the Canon G1X for the purposes of a G1X review. Now I'm finding it very difficult to send the X10 back to B&H. In all my years of using fixed-lens zoom compacts, the X10 is the camera I was daydreaming about. Amazing combination of size, feel, build, controls, lens excellence, and sensor quality.

I keep telling myself that I won't buy the X10 because my money is already invested in Micro Four Thirds (and to a lesser extent Sony NEX). However, if I were looking for a small sensor fixed lens zoom camera, I would choose the X10 without hesitation. What an incredible little camera.

-- hide signature --
 Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +11 more
Wayne N. Forum Pro • Posts: 10,010
Re: Been trying out the X10...

Amin Sabet wrote:

However, if I were looking for a small sensor fixed lens zoom camera, I would choose the X10 without hesitation. What an incredible little camera.

Obviously you are aware of the orb issue, which seems to be a big enough issue that many have returned their X10's. I am surprised that it would not have caused you any hesitation. Or are you not concerned about it because Fuji has promised to address it? Just curious.

Thanks,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Amin Sabet
OP Amin Sabet Veteran Member • Posts: 6,763

Wayne N. wrote:

Obviously you are aware of the orb issue, which seems to be a big enough issue that many have returned their X10's. I am surprised that it would not have caused you any hesitation. Or are you not concerned about it because Fuji has promised to address it? Just curious.

Wayne, as I stated a few posts up, I don't want to express my full opinions about the orb issue in this forum because any opinion other than "it's defective, Fuji never should have released it, Fuji took too long to address it..." is met with a flurry of personal attacks and drama.

My opinion of this camera, taking everything into account, is expressed in the first post of this thread and would be exactly the same without any promise from Fuji to address anything.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +11 more
FrancoisXavier C Regular Member • Posts: 161

Amin Sabet wrote:

I love .........., ..... .......

.... .....:
.... ..., .., .., ...
..... .....: ........ ......, ....... ..., ..., ... ...., .... .......

........ ...... ... .. .. .... .. .. . ..... .. .. ........ .... ...... .... ...... .

. .... ....... ...... ...... ...... ... ... ... ....... .. ..... .. ...... ....... .. ..... .... ........ ....

.. . ...... ...... .... ..... ......., .. . .... ...... ... . .... ...... ..... .... .... ......, . ..... ..... > the X10 ........ ........... What an incredible little camera.

FrancoisXavier C's gear list:FrancoisXavier C's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX3000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Amin Sabet
As the thread starter, I will read the replies. However...

... if you hurl insults at me and then ask me a question, you should not expect an answer. I wasted far too much of my time arguing in these forums (long ago), and never again will I get into a discourse with some impolite stranger spitting venom.

-- hide signature --
Wayne N. Forum Pro • Posts: 10,010

Amin Sabet wrote:

Wayne N. wrote:

Wayne, as I stated a few posts up, I don't want to express my full opinions about the orb issue in this forum because any opinion other than "it's defective, Fuji never should have released it, Fuji took too long to address it..." is met with a flurry of personal attacks and drama.

My opinion of this camera, taking everything into account, is expressed in the first post of this thread and would be exactly the same without any promise from Fuji to address anything.

Thanks. It wasn't clear from you original post that you were taking orbs into consideration. You were, and you still feel as positive about the X10 as you do, so I appreciate your opinion (and will be looking forward to your review, which hopefully will at least acknowledge the orbs).

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Amin Sabet

Wayne N. wrote:

Thanks. It wasn't clear from you original post that you were taking orbs into consideration. You were, and you still feel as positive about the X10 as you do, so I appreciate your opinion (and will be looking forward to your review, which hopefully will at least acknowledge the orbs).

Hi Wayne,

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am not doing a review of the X10. I only borrowed the X10 from B&H to have a example of the advanced small sensor fixed zoom class of camera in hand while reviewing the G1X, which represents a new class of camera that IMO may eventually replace the former.

If I were going to do an X10 review, it certainly would include coverage of the orb issue.

All best,
Amin

-- hide signature --
Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,527

I couldn't disagreee with you more for reasons you won't discuss.
--
Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,256
Welcome back to FTF Amin

Hi, Amin,

Gus here, I bought my F30 from you years ago... (still have it)

I have a friend who works for Adobe (lightroom), he is an excellent photographer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelco/

He had an x10 when I met up with him last time... He loves the camera.

Good to see you here again. Hope all is well in your world.

gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Aerhan_72 Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Welcome back to FTF Amin

Still enjoying my X10 VERY much.

Regards
A

-- hide signature --

Often the hands will solve a mystery that the intellect has struggled with in vain.

Amin Sabet

Hi Gus,

Nice to see you. Hope all is well!

There is so much to like about the X10. It takes nearly everything I loved about the Leica Digilux 2, Ricoh GX100, Panasonic LX5, Fuji F200EXR, and Samsung EX1 and rolls them into one small package with a nice OVF to boot.

All best,
Amin

Britney Elvis wrote:

Hi, Amin,

I have a friend who works for Adobe (lightroom), he is an excellent photographer

gus

-- hide signature --
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,594
Re: As the thread starter, I will read the replies. However...

Amin Sabet wrote:

... if you hurl insults at me and then ask me a question, you should not expect an answer. I wasted far too much of my time arguing in these forums (long ago), and never again will I get into a discourse with some impolite stranger spitting venom.

Then you'd better not see any orbs in your shots.

My X10 experience has essentially taught me that life's too short to mess with Fuji.

But it's always good when people find the tools that suit them.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +14 more
danny_only Forum Pro • Posts: 11,115
Re: Hi Amin, I remember you took excellent pictures with ...

your F30 and posted them here long time ago.

The X-10 is indeed a very capable and lovable camera. Once the ORBS problem is fixed, we will see more people posting beautiful X-10 pictures here.

Amin Sabet wrote:

Have owned:
Canon S50, G7, G9, G11
Ricoh GX100, GX100
Pana LX1, LX5
Leica D-LUX 3, D-LUX 4, and Digilux 2
Sigma DP1, DP2
... and many others

Have tried: Samsung EX1/TL500, Olympus XZ1, G1X, and many, many others.

I recently asked B&H to send me an X10 to serve as an advanced small sensor zoom camera to compare with the Canon G1X for the purposes of a G1X review. Now I'm finding it very difficult to send the X10 back to B&H. In all my years of using fixed-lens zoom compacts, the X10 is the camera I was daydreaming about. Amazing combination of size, feel, build, controls, lens excellence, and sensor quality.

I keep telling myself that I won't buy the X10 because my money is already invested in Micro Four Thirds (and to a lesser extent Sony NEX). However, if I were looking for a small sensor fixed lens zoom camera, I would choose the X10 without hesitation. What an incredible little camera.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p

Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'

Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Amin Sabet

danny_only wrote:

The X-10 is indeed a very capable and lovable camera. Once the ORBS problem is fixed, we will see more people posting beautiful X-10 pictures here.

Hi Danny, nice to see you again! Thanks for the kind comments. It's a shame there aren't more people sharing X10 images here right now. It's one of the most capable and lovable cameras I've met.

Here are two of mine from today, both in very challenging lighting.

The thrill of victory (ISO 2000, 1/125s, f/2):

... and the agony of defeat (ISO 1600, 1/100s, f/2):

Just outside of the bowling alley, trying out the tele end of things at the golden hour (my kid stayed still for a split second for me to get off one shot) (ISO 400, f/2.8). This camera gets a big thumbs up from me:

-- hide signature --
Jade Willow Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Aerhan_72 wrote:

Still enjoying my X10 VERY much.

Me too!! Here's one taken the other day whilst out walking the dog:

timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425

Amin Sabet wrote:

I recently asked B&H to send me an X10 to serve as an advanced small sensor zoom camera to compare with the Canon G1X for the purposes of a G1X review.

Looking forward very much to reading your review. There is much the X10 does very well, notwithstanding its known flaws. And please do not be put off by the loutish element on this forum.
--
tim
http://www.pbase.com/timotheus

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425

Britney Elvis wrote:

Hi, Amin,

gus

Gus, could you ask your friend who works for Adobe to ask whoever works on raw conversion for ACR and Lightroom when they are going to fix the issues with X10 raw files? Won't rehearse all the details here - they are well described in other threads.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Argie and Tim39 will not appreciate . . .

timo wrote:

. . .
And please do not be put off by the loutish element on this forum.

. . . may not appreciate your drawing attention to their loutish behavior in this thread. There are many more examples to comment on if you wish to examine their replies in other threads.

Looking forward very much to reading your review.There is much the X10 does very well

Amin does not intend to do an X10 review. He used the X10 for his G1X review.

danny_only Forum Pro • Posts: 11,115

Amin Sabet wrote:

danny_only wrote:

Hi Danny, nice to see you again! Thanks for the kind comments. It's a shame there aren't more people sharing X10 images here right now. It's one of the most capable and lovable cameras I've met.

Here are two of mine from today, both in very challenging lighting.

The thrill of victory (ISO 2000, 1/125s, f/2):

... and the agony of defeat (ISO 1600, 1/100s, f/2):

Just outside of the bowling alley, trying out the tele end of things at the golden hour (my kid stayed still for a split second for me to get off one shot) (ISO 400, f/2.8). This camera gets a big thumbs up from me:

Hi Amin,

These are impressive and beautiful pictures. You have a handsome looking son, if I remember right, you took his pictures with your F30. Look forward seeing your stunning X-10 pictures here and sharing your opinions about this camera.

Do you remember Hugo Poon who used to post here around the time you were still active here? He liked this camera when he was playing with the prototype X-10, highly impressed, he actually wanted to buy one to use in tandem with his X-100, but Fuji screwed up with the production model. Glad that there is now a sensor replacement offer to X-10 owners. It is the right thing for Fuji to do, if they want people to buy their cameras in the future.

Except for the ORBS problem, the look, lens speed, dynamic range. I was told unlike older EXR sensor camera, the X-10 can offer high resolution and high dynamic range, all without using reducing the picture size to M size.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p

Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'

Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,310

I like the bowling alley shots a lot - but if they were cropped to feature mostly your son and the 'results end' of the lane they'd be even better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads