K20D- Is it just me?

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,451
Re: K20D- Is it just me?

After getting the K-7 i found it extremely hard to pick up the K20D anymore, so i upgrades the K20D to a K-x... now ofter having a K-5 since it came out I'm finding it harder and harder to pick up the K-x so i'm selling it for another K-5... the K20D was neat stuff when it came out but its so out dated and unusable to me now that i can't even imagine myself going back to it or how i every got along with it in the first place.
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

cgarrard
OP cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,509

Interesting Mike. I can see why you look at it from that perspective. While obviously I like the K20D quite a bit, I'm able to see both the pro's and con's of the K5 and K20D at the same time without predjudice.

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Greg Lovern Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Sorry, but Thomas Jefferson didn't say that

cgarrard wrote:

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

I thought "mental attitude" was a surprising term for a man of Jefferson's era; it sounds more like maybe 1930s or later.

I did a quick search and it turns out Thomas Jefferson never said that. It does not appear in any of his writings. The earliest attribution is from 1948:

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/nothing-can-stop-man-right-mental-attitude-quotation

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the quote just didn't seem to fit the Thomas Jefferson I've read about.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

cgarrard
Re: Sorry, but Thomas Jefferson didn't say that

I'm aware it's a misquote. The real quote is sort of similar but different.

I work for a large company during the day that misquotes T.J. and considering the name of the company, I find it telling and Ironic at the same time.

So you could say, I'm pointing out the irony- although, can't say I don't agree with the misquote

C
--

-Thomas Jefferson

Greg Lovern Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Re: Sorry, but Thomas Jefferson didn't say that

cgarrard wrote:

I'm aware it's a misquote. The real quote is sort of similar but different.

What is the real quote? monticello.org says they didn't find anything like it in his writings.

The only similar quote they found was from a modern guy, W. W. Ziege, from 1945:

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/nothing-can-stop-man-right-mental-attitude-quotation

If Thomas Jefferson had been told the quote, I think he would have given it a moment's thought and replied, "what if two people have conflicting goals, and both have the 'right mental attitude'?"

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,656

moving_comfort wrote:

I agree, I've kept my K20D and use it constantly. I'm considering an upgrade to the K-5 replacement, but the K20D (and K100DS before it) is just a solid camera that provides beautiful images.

+1

I was looking at a magazine in my Doctors office I saw a bunch of really nice pics for a photo-contest. The pics were superb. Then I read it was a cellphone camera contest and I fell off his chair I really could not believe what I was seeing. In the contest they stated this proves its not the camera but the person behind the camera that determines the quality or artistic worth of a photo. IMO there is also a certain quality level for color pics. All P/S of today exceed that quality level.

Prior to my K20D I owned the Samsung GX10 (same as Pentax K10) I could not find the battery grip for it in the USA. So I used the GX10 for about one year with no grip. When I bought my K20D over three years ago at a local store here in Michigan I bought the battery grip at the same time. I put that grip on and never took it off. The K20D with grip fits my hands perfect. Very solid, tight grip. So with over a years use on a K10D and over three years use with a K20D I can say for sure I prefer the K10/20 bodies with grip versus without. My fingers want to be in front not under the camera; but holding the camera with a solid grip.

The K20D has given me over three years and over 53,000 pics of great service. I have never ever taken out the battery except to charge it. I have used my K20D in all kinds of weather, rain, rain storms, snow storms. Pentax sealed bodies are no among the best for WR.

I have enough tripods, mono-pods, flashes on/off camera, filters (+ Cokin), ball pan/tilt heads, lens going from 10mm - 300mm (15mm - 450mm), and the K20D. I am the limit of my gear; the gear is not my limit!

If those people could take such fantastic pictures with their cellphones this reinforces to me I should be able to do a lot with what I have.

I am not saying people should not upgrade.
I am not saying a K-5 can not take a pic where the K20D would not be able.

I am saying I still really enjoy my K20D, its lots of fun.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +12 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,234

jamesm007 wrote:

I was looking at a magazine in my Doctors office I saw a bunch of really nice pics for a photo-contest. The pics were superb. Then I read it was a cellphone camera contest and I fell off his chair I really could not believe what I was seeing. In the contest they stated this proves its not the camera but the person behind the camera that determines the quality or artistic worth of a photo. IMO there is also a certain quality level for color pics. All P/S of today exceed that quality level.

That's true up to a point, James - but only up to a point. If the nature of the scene is within the capability of the gear used - not excessive contrast, not very wide or very distant etc - then a good photographer can get a good photo with any camera. Where the more advanced cameras win is when the scene gets more tricky.

This is true all the way up the line: most of the time (as we read in many threads) an APS-C camera produces results as good as FF; FF usually can produce results as good as MF. But the best MF beats the best FF beats the best APS-C beats the best P&S.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,656

Where the more advanced cameras win is when the scene gets more tricky.

All cameras have limits, great photographers make great photos within those limits. You are speaking/thinking of gear or paid events weddings, sports... Not a camera as a artistic tool.

“…anytime I go anywhere with a camera, whether it be my top-of-the-line pro body with fifteen lenses and smart flash or a simple point-and-shoot, I might take the best photograph of my life. If, however, I trapped myself into believing that success of my style would only come through in the grainless technical perfection of a cumbersome larger format or the heady fine art of a preconceptualized composition, then I would lose much of the magic that drew me to photography in the first place.” Galen Rowell.

From Ken Rockwells artical -
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +12 more
Rolo King Regular Member • Posts: 121

I also prefer the ergonomics of the K10/K20 over the K5. Selecting focus points, just as someone said earlier, is much easier. Configuring the e-dials seems somewhat easier too among other small details.

On the other hand, the K5 makes life much easier when it comes to correct exposure and focusing.

Rolo King's gear list:Rolo King's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Nikon D90 Pentax K10D
Benjamin Kanarek
Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010

Almost all of my VOGUE & Harper's BAZAAR shoots over the past year and a half were K20D's and recently the K5's..
--
http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com
http://www.benjaminkanarek.com

Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D810 +23 more
Rolo King Regular Member • Posts: 121

I don't doubt that the K20 can still be a great tool. I've seen your work before and the results speak for themselves.

By the way, I also love reading about your insights on your specific side of the photo industry.

Rolo King's gear list:Rolo King's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Nikon D90 Pentax K10D
onesidedcoin Regular Member • Posts: 404
Durability Of The K20.

Yesterday I was hit by a car backing out of a driveway on my bicycle. Rolling over the car with a back pack holding the K20 and smc80-320. I landed sliding on the pavement flat on my back. After dealing with the old and I guess blind guy. checked the operation of the camera. I was kinda hoping this event would lead me to a K5 but my luck besides still being alive was the k20 is a trooper.
--
Dave

Daveinozbikes Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Love it.....

Looked at many different cameras (because I"m human and rarely satisfied)

Cannot find one that satisfies me like my K20d and grip.. It"s got everything I want in a DSLR....

-- hide signature --

It's tough living in Paradise.......but I manage somehow :-))

cgarrard
Re: Durability Of The K20.

I can speak for the durability of the K20d as well...

My first one took a tumble on a trail head as the sternum strap on a prior owned backpack failed (I got rid of that pack after that happened) and my K20D went into the dirt... after it elegantly rolled and tumbled a few times I picked it up and not a scratch was on it.

I thoroughly tested it in every way possible to ensure that it was sellable . The owner that bought it from me years ago is still using it today- as far as I know.

Btw I'm glad YOU came out ok from that deal... and of course the camera too.

Carl

-Thomas Jefferson

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,128

Hi guys,

I think I will continue to use my K20 in conjunction with the K5 as I still like it a lot. For me the saving grace of the K20 is the DR, it is that the stopped all further usage of my earlier Samsung GX10 (same as the K10) which without underexposing couldn't cope with the harsh light here in the south of France. I shoot in RAW and with the GX10 it was always a balancing act between noise and burnt highlights. Also the K20s shadow detail is very good,it's the first DSLR where I could get good shadow/highlight detail and a full range of tones.Point and shoots have a hard time here§

The K5 seems to have very good DR, I overexposed a scene of hireboats all very white plastic, by 1.5 stops,when looked at the RAW images, all the graduations of white were still there nothing was burnt out. I'm very happy with that result!
--
Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +16 more
newmikey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,851
No, definitely not!

Ever since I acquired the K-5 I have delegated the use of my K20D to my daughter who really makes it purr.

Although I am astounded by the IQ of the K-5, is high-ISO, faster focus etc. I miss the solid feel of the K20D in my hands. It was just a bit more, how shall I put this....substantial. It fit my hands naturally, the controls were laid out perfectly where, on the K-5 even after 6 months I still struggle with the preview button, the exposure compensation control and the focuspoint selector.

Nevertheless, I am never going back to it knowing what the K-5 can do (and does, daily). I just wish (silently) sometimes that they'd put the heart of the K-5 into the body of the K20D!

When I see the results my daughter gets from the K20D (she's now got 6 large prints on an exposition in a prestigious museum) I am reminded of the fact that the K20D may have been surpassed by the K-5 but it ain't dead yet, far from it!

Mike
--
http://newmikey.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/newmikey

newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-70 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +3 more
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,764

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Still new to the K5 and was expecting a clear improvement in RAW images over my K20, made me realize that the K20 is not much behind the K5! will try 160 ASA (lowest K5 with DR) as opposed to the 200 ASA of the K20.

Native ISO of the K20D is 100.

A bit disappointed at the what seems to me to be underexposure,but it's coming far quicker than the K20. A great buy S/H if you can find one at the right price.

The K20D, and all Pentax cameras before it, were programmed to protect the highlights. My K-x will blow highlights fairly regularly, which annoys the hell out of me. I think Pentax changed their stance on exposing to protect highlights because reviewers, newbies and people coming from other brands complained about underexposure. IMO, Pentax was doing it right and critics were wrong, too bad they gave in.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +19 more
audiobomber

I have a K20D and K-x. The K-x has a stop of DR on the K20D, better WB in tungsten light and faster burst speed. I will use the K20D up to ISO 3200 and the K-x up to ISO 6400. Even so, the K20D is my main camera. I value the extra controls and features of the K20D (WR, User & TAv modes, buttons instead of menus) more than improved performance under marginal conditions. I also prefer the exposure of the K20, the quieter shutter, white balance in natural light, and the ability to mount a battery grip. My next camera will replace the Kx, I'm keeping the K20D.

I tried a K-5 for a couple of weeks but it was one of the ones with poor low-light AF in tungsten light. Upgrading the firmware to 1.03 didn't help and I sent it back. I asked for a refund instead of an exchange because I wasn't confident at the time that the low-ight issue was resolvable, and because I didn't feel the K-5 added enough compared to what I already had with the K20 and K-x.

I was anxiously waiting for the K-mount APS-C MILC, but I quickly dismissed the K-01 because I need a VF. I expect to buy the K-5 replacement and hand off the K-x to my wife. It will make a nice kit for her, with a DA 18-250.
--
Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +19 more
audiobomber
Messed up formatting above

Here's the corrected version.

audiobomber wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Still new to the K5 and was expecting a clear improvement in RAW images over my K20, made me realize that the K20 is not much behind the K5! will try 160 ASA (lowest K5 with DR) as opposed to the 200 ASA of the K20.

Native ISO of the K20D is 100.

A bit disappointed at the what seems to me to be underexposure,but it's coming far quicker than the K20. A great buy S/H if you can find one at the right price.

The K20D, and all Pentax cameras before it, were programmed to protect the highlights. My K-x will blow highlights fairly regularly, which annoys the hell out of me. I think Pentax changed their stance on exposing to protect highlights because reviewers, newbies and people coming from other brands complained about underexposure. IMO, Pentax was doing it right and critics were wrong, too bad they gave in.

-- hide signature --

Dan

cgarrard
Irony

Nevertheless, I am never going back to it knowing what the K-5 can do (and does, daily). I just wish (silently) sometimes that they'd put the heart of the K-5 into the body of the K20D!

Don't be silent about it Mike.

How crazy that I just told someone yesterday that I hoped Pentax keeps the K20D form factor alive and puts another sensor and upgrades into it. Just yesterday I said that before I read this message today.

You're spot on with the form factor, and I've used MANY cameras. Nothing feels as good in BOTH hands as the K20D does for me. I keep sounding like a broken record about the left side of the body having ergonomic grooves on the front and rear of it- and just how much I find that valuable for portraiture compositions.

It's brillant.

Carl

-Thomas Jefferson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads