Horizontal lines in photos

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions
clide Junior Member • Posts: 28
Horizontal lines in photos

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this before. I was playing around with my J1 and when I took a look at the photos on my computer some of them have sporadic, but perfectly horizontal lines in the photo. As seen in this crop (make sure and view it at full size)

The lines are 2 pixels high and don't show up in every photo. When they do show up they aren't in the same places. It looks like it is having issues with the signal from the sensor or something. I haven't done an extremely large sample size, but in the ones I have noticed it they are all 1/1000 or faster in shutter speed (this one is 1/1250).

Nikon 1 J1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Identity Senior Member • Posts: 1,065
Re: Horizontal lines in photos

Those lines are clear to see. To be honest, it looks like a faulty camera to me. I've never seen anything like that in a few thousand shots with my V1.

normsmith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372

I just checked some of my stuff - I live in a part of the UK that has a lot of dull weather, so I seldom get upto 1/1000 however, the stuff I do have above that speed does not show the marks that the OP refers to. (using a J1)
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so will not be overloaded with images.

Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,484

clide wrote:

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this before. I was playing around with my J1 and when I took a look at the photos on my computer some of them have sporadic, but perfectly horizontal lines in the photo. As seen in this crop (make sure and view it at full size)

The lines are 2 pixels high and don't show up in every photo. When they do show up they aren't in the same places. It looks like it is having issues with the signal from the sensor or something. I haven't done an extremely large sample size, but in the ones I have noticed it they are all 1/1000 or faster in shutter speed (this one is 1/1250).

Have a look at my thread "Where the PDAF sensors are" here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1058&message=40082717

I'd suggest you look through the whole thing, but especially at my sample photos. If the position of your lines correspond to these, you're probably seeing the on-sensor Phase Detection AF pixel lines. Having spotted them, I then found that these were also mentioned in a Spanish review (see dcresource's J1 review, which mentions them I think). I have checked two J1's and I can persuade them (with difficulty) to appear with both - the V1 should be the same but it seems to take some very precise conditions to see them (in my case, I can only make them appear by taking a shot of a particular type of LCD screen, and I have to be close enough - I haven't seen them appear in any real-life subjects, myself). I think it is a side-effect of the so far fairly unusual sensor design.

OP clide Junior Member • Posts: 28

Ah yep that's it, just checked an the pixel positions correspond with the positions mentioned in that thread. I never got enough of the lines to appear to notice the pattern.

Guess I managed to find one of those certain situations that make the PDAF sensors appear.

Identity Senior Member • Posts: 1,065

clide wrote:

Ah yep that's it, just checked an the pixel positions correspond with the positions mentioned in that thread. I never got enough of the lines to appear to notice the pattern.

Guess I managed to find one of those certain situations that make the PDAF sensors appear.

What is this a photo of? It looks oddly soft and flat, like it's not a photo of an actual pile of onions. I know taking photos of a TV screen will show these lines quite clearly.

OP clide Junior Member • Posts: 28

Identity wrote:

What is this a photo of? It looks oddly soft and flat, like it's not a photo of an actual pile of onions. I know taking photos of a TV screen will show these lines quite clearly.

It's a bunch of mushrooms growing next to each other.

The oddly soft is probably because of the lens, it's a fast but relatively cheap c-mount lens for industrial applications. I have it for high speed video and I figured I'd see what kind of images it took.

The flatness may just be the lighting. It's a bright day, but the sun is momentarily behind a cloud.

Here's the full image (but the lines go away once it's re-sized below 50%):

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads