Need some basic advice on LR 4 & NX2

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions
Oscarroos Senior Member • Posts: 2,914
Need some basic advice on LR 4 & NX2

Caveat: I'm an old style photographer from Nikon F 3 days who has been fortunate to have the resources to move up to modern Digital cameras. I own a D-200/700 and waiting for D-800. I own two computers one a new laptop with 128GB SSD and 2nd gen i7 processor and 8 GB RAM with good graphics card.

I'm learning Nikon Capture NX 2 and my photos are getting better (I shoot NEF and JPEG). I'm doing basic post processing in NX 2 and liking the improvements in my photos. I bought Color Efex Pro 3 plug- in for NX 2 and can see potential there.

My questions are these:

1) I have a free upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4 and for PS, Elements and LR 4. I have read conflicting information on advantages of LR if one already has NX 2. I do not feel I'm ready for PS.

a) What advantages do I have to purchase Light Room 4?

b) How can I use both LR 4 AND NX 2 to my advantage?

I finally have some spare time (retired 3 months ago) to spend on post processing but my LOVE is taking photos BUT I do have time to finally learn Post Processing (yes I really do see the difference).

Will LR 4 help someone like me?

Lastly - How is it advantages to use LR (4) and NX 2 together to enhance the process?

Thank you and I hope this makes sence after 1/2 bottle of wine after dinner .

Thank you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/sets/72157627576100801/

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,508
Re: Need some basic advice on LR 4 & NX2

this would probably be better answered in the Nikon forum(s). I suspect many(most?) of us here can only half of the question!
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
bpatient Regular Member • Posts: 184

Congratulations on your retirement. It will take some time to master either NX2 or LR; it's good that you have that time.

If you search this site, you'll find numerous threads that contrast NX2 to earlier versions of Lightroom. I think that you could get excellent results from either one.

NX2 has a few advantages for a Nikon photographer who uses the in-camera settings, since that program--unlike LR--understands such settings; that might matter to you if you make camera adjustments for your JPEGs. LR has different advantages, particularly in that it is a database that helps you to manage your files as well as to edit them.

I don't have NX2, but I did use NX for a couple of years. I prefer Lightroom, and I don't use NX any more--although I do sometimes go back to it just to see if it might work better for me for a particular image.

Until the newest version of Lightroom was released this month, for example, I thought that NX could handle chromatic aberration of Nikon lenses better than the previous versions of LR could manage, but the new automatic CA correction in LR4 is excellent. I also used to compare skin tones between the two programs, since I thought that the Portrait mode in NX worked well for me; although Adobe Standard and I don't get along, the latest LR emulations (version 4, I think) of the Nikon color modes seem to be an extremely close match to the output from camera JPEGs and NX. In addition, I liked the selective adjustments available through the control points in NX, but, again, the newest implementation of the auto-mask feature of the adjustment brush seems to work well and provide somewhat similar utility. I happen to strongly prefer the noise reduction in LR to that in NX; I don't know if NX2 was an improvement over NX in that regard, but LR4 is excellent, and LR also offers a good sharpening tool with adjustable masking as well as on-the-fly adjustment for print sharpening for any output size and various media.

I only use Photoshop now on the rare occasions that I want to clone out something that's more extensive than what LR's rudimentary cloning/healing feature can cope with; an inexpensive program like Photoshop Elements can handle such chores. (For example, cloning out a telephone line from a landscape photo would be much easier in Photoshop or in NX2--I think--than in LR.) Otherwise, I do everything in LR, and NX would be collecting dust if it wasn't still installed on a sealed hard drive.

One other point: LR will work with cameras that are not made by Nikon, but NX2 is not so friendly towards other camera brands. Since I happen to shoot Raw images with my little Oly as well as with my Nikon, if I relied on NX(2) I'd need a separate program to handle my second camera--and that would require learning the Oly software . . . .

Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,507

Oscarroos wrote:

Some people do use both (open the NEF in CNX2 to get the highest quality rendering then move to LR for cataloging and finishing - see for instance here http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157628252148525/ ), although I find it very cumbersome and would suggest to choose one or the other: there is too much duplication in the functions of the two programs and with LR/ACR I personally find that I end up in CS5 more often. Try them both and see what works for you.

People with a high volume workflow tend to prefer LR. On the other hand for amateurs like me, with a low volume/high quality workflow, it's pretty much 100% CNX2 to start with; then perhaps 10% of keepers end up in CS5 for more advanced pixel editing. CNX2 was recently re-written for 64 bits and most speed and stability issues of earlier versions have been solved. In combination with the free VNX2 as a browser, I find it quite easy and intuitive to use - with appropriate Windows based hardware (a fast processor and 3GB of ram or more).

Imho CNX2 is still ahead of the pack in its integration with Nikon cameras (the ability to adjust the actual in-camera settings in Post is brilliant and a great camera/digital photography learning tool), speed (having the raw file open and look almost exactly like the OOC jpeg is a great time saver, especially if you strive to get it right in-camera like me), excellent color rendering (especially skin tones), rendering of ADL (which I use and like on 90% of my captures), Automatic Color Aberration corrections, local corrections (Selection and Control Point technologies are outstanding in CNX2) and, last but for me definitely not least, a single non-destructive file system via NEFs: it's fantastic to have the raw data, non-destructive active adjustment steps, different versions and final rendering jpeg all in a single neat file. No matter how much I tried I couldn't get used to messy sidecars or closed, autocratic file systems.

See this thread for some CNX2 tutorials (join the group and search its past post database for any additional CNX2 questions - best source of info on the net)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157629489604165/

If I did not have CNX2, my workflow would probably move to ACR+CS5.

Hope it helps.

Jack

PS imo CEP4 adds very little to CEP3's CNX2 implementation because the more important improvements (e.g. filter stacking/combinations and recipes) are built into CNX2.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,808

NX2 can retain and reveal detail in your raw files that LR 3 cannot. This may have changed with LR4 (don't have it). I use LR 3 and ACR (same raw engine as LR) for the majority of my files, but I would not be without NX2 for the reason stated above.

As an example, I shot some crocus blooms the other day with my D200. NX2 resolved detail in the flower's heavily saturated yellow pistels that ACR just couldn't find, no matter how I tweaked the settings.

OP Oscarroos Senior Member • Posts: 2,914

Hi Glen:

I considered that but since the dilemma I have is more related to software I thought I could get better direction here. Thank you

Glen Barrington wrote:

this would probably be better answered in the Nikon forum(s). I suspect many(most?) of us here can only half of the question!
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more

Hi bpatient:

Thank you - retirment is busier than I thought since I'm also Mr. Dad/Mom to 12 year old twins but I do have more time to play with photos on the computer and have a long ways to go.

I have searched and read many posts and there does not seem to be a clear winner in which is better, or advantage, if there is one, of using BOTH NX 2 and LR 4.

Hmm, lots to consider. I do have the last version of NX 2, 64 bit ready for D800 and it works pretty well but I'm barely using it to it's full effect and that is what I'm working on.

I'm in a position where the cost of Light Room 4 is easily absorbed so trying to make a decision before I fully commit to one or the other or really - asking if anyone has found an advantage in using BOTH.

I appreciate your well thought out comments on how LR works for you over NX and why. Thank you!

Oscar

bpatient wrote:

Congratulations on your retirement. It will take some time to master either NX2 or LR; it's good that you have that time.

If you search this site, you'll find numerous threads that contrast NX2 to earlier versions of Lightroom. I think that you could get excellent results from either one.

NX2 has a few advantages for a Nikon photographer who uses the in-camera settings, since that program--unlike LR--understands such settings; that might matter to you if you make camera adjustments for your JPEGs. LR has different advantages, particularly in that it is a database that helps you to manage your files as well as to edit them.

I don't have NX2, but I did use NX for a couple of years. I prefer Lightroom, and I don't use NX any more--although I do sometimes go back to it just to see if it might work better for me for a particular image.

Until the newest version of Lightroom was released this month, for example, I thought that NX could handle chromatic aberration of Nikon lenses better than the previous versions of LR could manage, but the new automatic CA correction in LR4 is excellent. I also used to compare skin tones between the two programs, since I thought that the Portrait mode in NX worked well for me; although Adobe Standard and I don't get along, the latest LR emulations (version 4, I think) of the Nikon color modes seem to be an extremely close match to the output from camera JPEGs and NX. In addition, I liked the selective adjustments available through the control points in NX, but, again, the newest implementation of the auto-mask feature of the adjustment brush seems to work well and provide somewhat similar utility. I happen to strongly prefer the noise reduction in LR to that in NX; I don't know if NX2 was an improvement over NX in that regard, but LR4 is excellent, and LR also offers a good sharpening tool with adjustable masking as well as on-the-fly adjustment for print sharpening for any output size and various media.

I only use Photoshop now on the rare occasions that I want to clone out something that's more extensive than what LR's rudimentary cloning/healing feature can cope with; an inexpensive program like Photoshop Elements can handle such chores. (For example, cloning out a telephone line from a landscape photo would be much easier in Photoshop or in NX2--I think--than in LR.) Otherwise, I do everything in LR, and NX would be collecting dust if it wasn't still installed on a sealed hard drive.

One other point: LR will work with cameras that are not made by Nikon, but NX2 is not so friendly towards other camera brands. Since I happen to shoot Raw images with my little Oly as well as with my Nikon, if I relied on NX(2) I'd need a separate program to handle my second camera--and that would require learning the Oly software . . . .

Hi Jack:

Much to think about and nice to hear your thoughts on using BOTH and your recommendations. I will take some time to go to the links you provided.

This DOES help - thank you,

Oscar

Jack Hogan wrote:

Oscarroos wrote:

Some people do use both (open the NEF in CNX2 to get the highest quality rendering then move to LR for cataloging and finishing - see for instance here http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157628252148525/ ), although I find it very cumbersome and would suggest to choose one or the other: there is too much duplication in the functions of the two programs and with LR/ACR I personally find that I end up in CS5 more often. Try them both and see what works for you.

People with a high volume workflow tend to prefer LR. On the other hand for amateurs like me, with a low volume/high quality workflow, it's pretty much 100% CNX2 to start with; then perhaps 10% of keepers end up in CS5 for more advanced pixel editing. CNX2 was recently re-written for 64 bits and most speed and stability issues of earlier versions have been solved. In combination with the free VNX2 as a browser, I find it quite easy and intuitive to use - with appropriate Windows based hardware (a fast processor and 3GB of ram or more).

Imho CNX2 is still ahead of the pack in its integration with Nikon cameras (the ability to adjust the actual in-camera settings in Post is brilliant and a great camera/digital photography learning tool), speed (having the raw file open and look almost exactly like the OOC jpeg is a great time saver, especially if you strive to get it right in-camera like me), excellent color rendering (especially skin tones), rendering of ADL (which I use and like on 90% of my captures), Automatic Color Aberration corrections, local corrections (Selection and Control Point technologies are outstanding in CNX2) and, last but for me definitely not least, a single non-destructive file system via NEFs: it's fantastic to have the raw data, non-destructive active adjustment steps, different versions and final rendering jpeg all in a single neat file. No matter how much I tried I couldn't get used to messy sidecars or closed, autocratic file systems.

See this thread for some CNX2 tutorials (join the group and search its past post database for any additional CNX2 questions - best source of info on the net)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157629489604165/

If I did not have CNX2, my workflow would probably move to ACR+CS5.

Hope it helps.

Jack

PS imo CEP4 adds very little to CEP3's CNX2 implementation because the more important improvements (e.g. filter stacking/combinations and recipes) are built into CNX2.

I may have the best tool already and just need to quit wasting time and spend the time and energy to learn NX 2.

Thanks for this input.

I'm starting to see why there is no clear cut - NX is better/worse than LR in my search. As suggested, maybe trial of LR4 and see which is more intuitive to me before commiting to either.

Thank you

Ho72 wrote:

NX2 can retain and reveal detail in your raw files that LR 3 cannot. This may have changed with LR4 (don't have it). I use LR 3 and ACR (same raw engine as LR) for the majority of my files, but I would not be without NX2 for the reason stated above.

As an example, I shot some crocus blooms the other day with my D200. NX2 resolved detail in the flower's heavily saturated yellow pistels that ACR just couldn't find, no matter how I tweaked the settings.

Mike Burke Regular Member • Posts: 151

I agree with Jack wholeheartedly. I have tried LR, CS5 (with all the Nik filters), and NX2 with Photomechanice as a front end.

My workflow:
Import and tag w/Photomechanic
Open NEF in NX2 (64 bit) - make adjustments, make versions if wanted
If I want to email or change to tiff or jpg I use Photomechanic.

If I want to print I change the NEF to a jpg or tiff w/Photomechanic and save in a print folder.

Then I print with Qimage. Qimage will save all my print settings in a job folder so I only have to set it up once.

When I'm done with jpgs or tiffs I delete them. All I have on my hard drives are the original Nef's and my backups on another hard drive. Saves tons of space.

I use CEP3.004 with NX2 and I agree that CEP4 doesn't give you much more.

I have gone back and forth with this and a Photoshop workflow and I find this faster with a lot less fuss.

Thanks for listening.
--
porchking

SantaFeBill Senior Member • Posts: 2,754
Re: A Shorter Answer

You've gotten some ling and very good answers. Let me, if I can, give what I think is the heart of the matter.

LR (any version) and NX2 cannot see the results you produce in the other, unless you convert the file to TIFF. So you lose the advantage of non-destructive RAW editing if you want to use both programs on the same image.

'Plug-ins' for LR really aren't. You have to finish what you're doing in LR, then save to TIFF and open. say. the Nik Color Efex Pro filters as an external editor. In NX2, the CEP filters are available as part of the regular editing process, just as any other adjustment. If you do want to use CEP 4 with NX2, you can do so in exactly the same way as from LR: Save as TIFF and call them as an external editor.

Finally, and this is a personal matter, I find the editing in NX2 much more intuitive than in LR. In NX2, you work within an editing step until you get the results you want, then save the results. Also, you can go back and redo or delete any step. In LR, literally each movement of a slider creates new step in the history, so you quickly have an incredibly long list of adjustments that you've made. For me, I get quite confused then as to what I've done where and what I may need to further change to get a desired result.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,427

I find it mind boggling that anyone could find CNX2, which I have and use frequently for its strong points (raw conversion, lens correction, the very occasional need for a control point, etc.) easier to use than Lightroom. The tiny picture, the miserable little buttons and sliding windows, the twirling hard disc icon while it grinds away. I do have the latest 64 bit version and an i7, but it's still slow. Yeccch!

Lightroom gives you a BIG full screen picture with autohide adjustment panels and from top down on the sliders in logical order. Sliders which are easy to grasp with the mouse. To reset any of them one merely double clicks. What a concept! Click once with your mouse and you enlarge the picture and are able to grab it and move it to another part of the frame. Color out of whack? Just grab one of the eight colors and raise or lower it, luminance or saturation. Don't know which of the eight colors is involved? Just activate the TAT and scrub up and down until it looks right. It can't get any easier than that. Why can't DXO and CNX2 get this?

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Londongal
Londongal Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

Oscarroos wrote:

Caveat: I'm an old style photographer from Nikon F 3 days who has been fortunate to have the resources to move up to modern Digital cameras. I own a D-200/700 and waiting for D-800. I own two computers one a new laptop with 128GB SSD and 2nd gen i7 processor and 8 GB RAM with good graphics card.

I'm learning Nikon Capture NX 2 and my photos are getting better (I shoot NEF and JPEG). I'm doing basic post processing in NX 2 and liking the improvements in my photos. I bought Color Efex Pro 3 plug- in for NX 2 and can see potential there.

My questions are these:

1) I have a free upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4 and for PS, Elements and LR 4. I have read conflicting information on advantages of LR if one already has NX 2. I do not feel I'm ready for PS.

I finally have some spare time (retired 3 months ago) to spend on post processing but my LOVE is taking photos BUT I do have time to finally learn Post Processing (yes I really do see the difference).

Will LR 4 help someone like me?

Lastly - How is it advantages to use LR (4) and NX 2 together to enhance the process?

Thank you and I hope this makes sence after 1/2 bottle of wine after dinner .

Thank you

Hi Oscarroos,

You've received some solid answers, and I'll add some thoughts from my own point of view.

If you were a friend or relative of mine, this is the advice I would give: Since you're starting your journey with post processing, it is to your advantage to set up a good workflow that you can grow with. With respect to that, I would recommend going with Lightroom for a number of reasons, first to be addressed would be for its DAM (Digital Asset Management). Lightroom is superb for file/catalogue management. You will import your existing files into LR and it will be your "home base" for managing all your images, no matter what camera you use.

With respect to file processing, I have tried a number of other programs (DXO, NX, Aperture and more that don't come immediately to mind) and I have found LR's interface to be very user friendly. I began using DXO a long time ago and never liked its interface, nor its slowness, and even less, the long time it took for DXO to add new camera/lens modules as I upgraded my cameras. These would be Nikon cameras, not strange and exotic ones

I did like some of the features of DXO, particularly the lens distortion adjustments, but never got used to the "negative" issues noted above. When LR3 was released, it included very good lens distortion adjustments and at that point I basically abandoned my use of DXO. I decided not to put out any cash for the latest update.

Similarly Nikon's NX. Some people swear by its "superior" ability to draw the best out of an image and I believe them. However, for my own use, the program is not as elegant to use, nor is the interface as good as Lightroom's. I love LR + Photoshop and the integration between the two is another big plus. I know you said you are not ready for PS yet, but if you are on the post processing journey, it would be likely that you will find your way to Photoshop and/or Elements in the future.

When you get your D800 (which I also have on order and should receive next week), give the LR4 free trial a try. The noise reduction engine is very good; see if you like it. See how it compares to NX and see if you think one of the workflows is better than the other. One thing about this current version of LR4 is that a number of people on the Adobe forums are complaining about how slow it is. You should take that into consideration when you take it for a test run. From what people are posting at Adobe, it is likely that the speed issue (and noted bugs) should be improved with updates. I, personally, am going to wait until a few of these issues are dealt with before upgrading LR3 to LR4. But I will be upgrading, that's for sure!

You can use both NR and LR to your advantage in a few ways. If you shoot JPEGS with your D800, NX2 (or will it be NX3 for the D800?) will recognize the special camera settings that are part of the JPEG and "cook them in" precisely in post. Adobe will only proximate these settings, because Nikon keeps its "special sauce" proprietary to the camera and software. Having said that, Adobe does an excellent job with Nikon JPEGS. That may be a moot point anyway, as many people who buy D800s and cameras of that calibre shoot RAW and have no need for the JPEG conversion and NX's proprietary handling of it. I fall into that category but will give NX a try to compare the noise reduction with LR's.

Another way to use both NX and LR to your advantage would be to cherry pick the best features out of each. At first blush, that may be NX's noise reduction and LR's catalogue management system. A definite possibility...for me that would too complicated, but it may work for you.

The one point I would stress, is to find a good image management system from the start that is yours and that you will grow with (and into). The program I suggest to friends is LR. (And don't forget, Lightroom has many more features than just catalogue management and image processing!)

I hope this is of help to you. I know some people will have varying opinions on what I've written, but that's life on the forums, isn't it?

Have fun with your D800!!!!! I'm so looking forward to receiving my own!
Londongal

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,866

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I find it mind boggling that anyone could find CNX2...[snip] easier to use than Lightroom.

I agree. And it's not because I don't really know NX2: I started with NX2 and got used to that before getting LR some time later. Anything new is harder to use at first, but having got used to LR I quickly found it (for me) much, much easier to use than NX2 which I had been used to.

I still use NX2 occasionally, but I now find in LR3 (and 4) any picture I try renders better in LR than NX2. It used to be that some bright colours rendered better in NX2, but the latest Adobe "Camera" profiles for Nikons (v4, came last year with LR3.6 as I recall) manage the last few images that previously NX2 had rendered better.

However, usability is very much a matter of personal preference, and even quality of rendition is somewhat subjective. At the risk of stating the totally obvious: having read all the opinions, the best software is the one you like.
--
Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
DUMB4SS Regular Member • Posts: 470
Profiles

Sorry if this is preaching to the converted, but

Always try the different camera profiles if you can't get the colours you are after with Lightroom, as it's defaults are not the best for my cameras.

The adobe standard and ACR profiles always seem quite poor to my eyes, but for my cameras, the V4 profiles are almost exactly the same as the Capture NX equivalents.

The history function is also (to me at least) a huge plus point, as is having the best crop tool known to mankind.

-- hide signature --

Never forget that you're unique, Just like everyone else.

Londongal in Canada etc!

Mike/Dumbxxx/Bill/Reilly/Simon/Londongal in Canada - thanks to all. Decided to try the trial LR 4 and see which, NX=2 or LR4, works/feels best. Seems to be a very individual decision which explains why I couldn't find a difinite answer in y searches.

All of you suggestions, experiences, ideas have helped.

PS Londongal - post a photo of your cat, or Red Mustang, when you get your D-800. I tried to pre=order but was in Africa on business and Bill-Me-Later would not recognize my URL so pre-ordered late. Hope it arrives before my June Safari.

Thank you.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/sets/72157627576100801/

Londongal
Londongal Senior Member • Posts: 1,918
Re: Londongal in Canada etc!

Oscarroos wrote:

PS Londongal - post a photo of your cat, or Red Mustang, when you get your D-800. I tried to pre=order but was in Africa on business and Bill-Me-Later would not recognize my URL so pre-ordered late. Hope it arrives before my June Safari.

Hi Oscarroos,

Too funny: cats and mustangs!!! We Canadians just learned the D800 will be arriving later than expected, so my plan for next week of borrowing a neighbour's cat and posing it in front of a brick wall will have to wait

I do hope your camera arrives before your safari!!! I was on a safari in Kenya years ago, before I had a digital camera. Wish all those images were digital and not film.

Cheers!
Londongal

Re: Londongal in Canada etc!

LondonGal in Canada: Did your D-800 arrive?

Londongal wrote:

Oscarroos wrote:

Hi Oscarroos,

Too funny: cats and mustangs!!! We Canadians just learned the D800 will be arriving later than expected, so my plan for next week of borrowing a neighbour's cat and posing it in front of a brick wall will have to wait

I do hope your camera arrives before your safari!!! I was on a safari in Kenya years ago, before I had a digital camera. Wish all those images were digital and not film.

Cheers!
Londongal

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,037

Yours are excellent questions. NX is a tool that is for editing and is comparable in that regard to Photoshop. Lightroom is a hybrid tool that is designed for organizing collections of images (logical collections that can ignore folder locations of the source files) and for limited image editing.

The capabilities of LR for image editing have been expanded so much over the years that it is now all that is needed for general image editing and it is fast to use. But it does require a specific workflow which many people like and I am one of a likely minority it preferring to setup a different process for managing my images.

NX is Nikon's own in house created image editor and it is superior to Photoshop and to Lightroom which are reverse engineered by Adobe's people. If you shoot RAW and want to get 100% of the available image quality from the file then NX is the best choice. I have processed files with banding problems when opened in Photoshop that did not display this problem when opened in NX. I expect people with the D800E will experience a similar improvement in RAW file conversion using Nikon's software over those of third parties.

It is possible to download a trial version of Lightroom and try it out for yourself and see if it what you want. There are also a lot more books on Lightroom than for Capture NX and this is also an important consideration (same holds true for Photoshop).

Lightroom would be fine most likely for 90% of your images and you can always use NX for the remaining 10% on an exception basis. I do this by using Photoshop for the majority of my image files and Capture NX 2 for the remainder.

kormendi_adam
kormendi_adam Contributing Member • Posts: 889

The tiny picture, the miserable little buttons

It is quite funny what you say. The picture is tiny if you have a tiny monitor. The edited image is exactly the same size as your monitor once you press on single button. My monitor is 24" and I find the images (and buttons) big enough.

LR might have other advantages of course, but the size of the image is not one of them.

(Just to clarify issues for the OP)

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads