Would you buy a D700 today and at what price?

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions
mukNY Regular Member • Posts: 151
Would you buy a D700 today and at what price?

I am in the (un)fortunate situation to be in the market for an FX camera. I sold all my DX equipment because I got a good price for it. I have a few nice FX lenses waiting.

My original idea was to buy a new D700 now that the prices have come down. I am not so sure anymore if this is a good idea. While there is a significant price difference to the D800, it may not be enough to justify in older technology. So my dilemma is, should I get a new D700 now (refurbished prices have not come down, used prices from reputable retailers haven't either) or should I put my name on the list for a D800 with the likely consequence that I will not have a camera for quite some time. I could of course buy the D700 now and upgrade in a year or so, but I am afraid I would loose a lot of money since D700 prices will probably come down significantly a year after the D800 introduction.

Anyone out there in the same situation?

mukNY's gear list:mukNY's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
danharperphotography.com
danharperphotography.com Senior Member • Posts: 1,139
Re: Would you buy a D700 today and at what price?

mukNY, the D700 is still a completely relevant camera.

I understand that some people feel that only the newest and best will do, but the D700 is still an incredibly capable and high quality piece of gear.

Your decision should be made from your needs. What's the biggest you've ever printed? How big do you normally print? Do you print at all. I believe the D800 is a printer's camera, so to speak, although it has advantages for others as well. Do you need good quality extra high ISO?
These are the questions you need to ask yourself.

I strongly believe that the D700 will still be relevant for at least another couple of years especially at the price it's at now. I'm thinking of picking one up to replace my backup body, the D300.

It's also good you're thinking of resale value. However, if you can pick up a good deal on a D700, those will likely still retain their value for a good amount of time.

-- hide signature --

-Dan
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
'Cameras don't take pictures, people do.'
'No one sees your camera when they're looking at your pictures.'
http://www.danharperphotography.com/ -BLOG/stock site
http://www.danharperphoto.com/ -Commercial portfolio
http://www.wpgphoto.com/ -My Winnipeg based photography community

Frank C. Veteran Member • Posts: 6,667

just picked up a 4000 click d700 + MB-D10 grip + spare battery for 2000$

may be a little high, may be a little low, but I just don't care the d700 is one awesome machine

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,218

Yes - if I didn't already have a D700.

It's a really nice camera. And pricing now is pretty hard to ignore.

I'd like a D800 some day to go with my D700, but I won't sell the D700 to get a D800. I'll only get the D800 if I can add it to the mix.

The D700 certainly does all I need.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

Unless you print large, and/or need video, the D800 is only an incremental improvement over the D700. The D700 has excellent dynamic range, color, and low-light capabilities. The D800 is only an incremental improvement in those areas. For the $1,000+ difference in price, I think you have to have a specific need for the resolution and video.

If you watch used prices for the D700 after the D800 ships, you might find the price dropping.

I'm getting the D800E because I have a 24" wide printer, and love detail in my landscapes and macros. If I wasn't printing large, I wouldn't bother.

I may sell my D700, or keep it to use when I can't use the resolution of the D800E. It will depend on the used D700 price when the D800E arrives.

-- hide signature --
OP mukNY Regular Member • Posts: 151

Thanks everybody. That is exactly what I needed to hear.

I am hesitant just buying such a piece of equipment from craigslist. I will be looking for a good one with low shutter count from a reputable reseller.

Marko

Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Entry price vs resale

The d700 is still good enough for pro use and will remain so. The d800's arrival does little to diminish the d700's strengths (speed, iso, etc).

The upside to picking up a d700 now- great all around quality at a great price.
The downside-resale rates won't hold.

If the used d800 market is anything like how it was for the d700, it may retain roughly 70% of it's value after 4 years, bringing actual cost of ownership to a pretty low level when compared to a crop sensor camera. Big caveat, no one knows what the future holds and increase pressure (if it exists) on ff markets could bring lower cost ff cameras in the interim.

Emotion SideUp
Emotion SideUp Forum Member • Posts: 72

Did a cost analysis on MY need of a D700 as a backup camera before the price drop, as well as cost effectiveness for the next 5 years.

I won't bore you w/details.

I was willing to buy the D700 at $2195.32 and pay up to $2824.15.

The cost of FX sensor over DX has actually gone up compared to when it was first release(from D90) @ around 2008 ($1800 in 2008, compared to $1870.02 in 2012) due to the drop in price of the D90 and before the D700 price drop of recent. I'd still pay $2195.32 to $2824.15 for the D700-effective now to next six months even if there are further price drops.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,147

mukNY wrote:

should I put my name on the list for a D800 with the likely consequence that I will not have a camera for quite some time.

I suspect that you would not wait for more than a month, 6 weeks at worst, if you pre-order a D800 now.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Try the D800 first

I have a D700, and I am going to keep it. However, I am going to try the D800. If it doesn't work out for me I will sell it.

In your case there is no current investment, so why not try the new model first? If you don't like it I'm sure you can get most of your money back. You could then buy a D700 and a lens with the proceeds.

If you get the D700 now you are going to wonder, no matter how much you like the D700. I love the thing, and that is why I am keeping it. But it is possible the D800 can be great for you. There will be all kinds of amazing D800 images on the web, even though you and I might not be able to get great images from it. Still, you will wonder. It is supposed to have better AF, better metering, better build, and a more durable shutter. I don't know if all that is true, but it probably is.

Sounds like a good size spreadsheet

Re: Try the D800 first

I thought of that. But I usually do not have buyer's remorse, so I am not too worried about that. The problem is more how long will I be without camera if I order the D800 and/or how much money will I loose if I decide to upgrade in a year or so.

I am not a pro, but I do have occasional jobs for portraits, book illustrations, etc. that will probably make up for the potential drop in price for used D700s - or so I hope.

Seabassius Regular Member • Posts: 259

I bought a used D700 off of Craigslist for 1900 with about 2600 clicks according to exif data. I kept waffling back and forth between it and the 5dmkii (still do). I put it back on Craigslist for 2050 and had a bunch of interest. I looked at it as if I try it for a few months and sell it for 200 less that's still way less than renting it for a week. So far I haven't responded to the Craigslist post. It grows on me more every day. I'm constantly giggling when it focusus on items in a dark room and I handhold shots I couldn't even consider with my 7d.
--
LB

Seabassius's gear list:Seabassius's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Not about buyers remorse

It is really about getting where you want to go for the least money. If you buy the D700 first that money is out there. When you see the results on the web from the D800 and all the accolades that will probably come you are going to be tempted to get one (if you are like most people who indulge in this hobby). So now you have to either upgrade your level of cost to have both cameras or go through the hassle of selling the D700 before you can get the D800 (and you would hate to sell the D700). I just think it would be easier and probably cheaper to do it the other way around.

However, I don't believe you can go too far wrong with a D700. It is a fantastic camera.

Leica Boy New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Not about buyers remorse

I just bought a D700 new. For what I shoot and how I view it (no printing at all), I just can't justify paying the extra $ for a D800.

In terms of resale value, I don't think it'll be that bad since FF cameras retain their values quite well. Look at the 2nd hand prices of the 5D, 5DII.

ssh33
ssh33 Regular Member • Posts: 182

Robin Casady wrote:

The D700 has excellent dynamic range, color, and low-light capabilities. The D800 is only an incremental improvement in those areas.

PDR 6.5EV:
D700 - ISO2349
D800 - ISO4850

I wouldn't call it incremental.
http://home.comcast.net/~nikond70/Charts/PDR_65.htm
--
Serge

Re: Not about buyers remorse

Hey, you are absolutely right. If you don't have that NAS sickness that afflicts many of us, and if the D700 will do all you want, I think you will be happy. If I was told today that in order to get a D800e I have to give up my D700 I would cancel my order. I know what the D700 is, and I am very satisfied with it. But if I were starting from ZERO I would probably start with the latest, then I would back up if it did not suit me.

WatchFan1 Regular Member • Posts: 173

Yes, I would......at $1600 ..(i.e: ain't gonna happen

Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,517

WatchFan1 wrote:

Yes, I would......at $1600 ..(i.e: ain't gonna happen

yep, $1500-1600 what it should cost

-- hide signature --

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Panasonic G85 Sony a9 +19 more
genxseven Regular Member • Posts: 128

I would not spend more than retail on the D700 of $2199. If you are going to spend up to $2800 max why wouldnt you buy a d800 for $200 more?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads