5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,364
Then it may not be for you

BadBeta wrote:

It is not a dud as a camera. As an upgrade however it is pretty much a dud as far as low ISO image quality is concerned.

Then the 5D3 may not be for you (or me). But for people coming from the 60D or Rebel families, it is an astoundingly amazing upgrade.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
bluefox9er Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: 5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Hondo Lane wrote:

I have owned a 5dII for 3 years and have used it extensively to photograph landscapes and flat art (for reproductions). Wonderful camera. I have a wack of printers and have found the 5dII is good - for me - to about 16x24. I need to go bigger and although stitching works well, it is often not feasible or I discover that I screwed up in field.

So as a 5dII owner I held my breath that the new 5dIII would give us landscape photographers (and studio photographers) something useful - like more DR and more pixels. Of no interest to me is high ISO performance, fps, auto focus points, etc. Ya, I know get a MF camera (too many $$).

What did the 5dIII give to the landscape / studio photographers over the 5dII - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. NADA. NADA. NADA. If you think about it, why would a landscape photographer considering Canon buying a 5dIII??? There is going to be a flood a good 5dII bodies on the market, very soon, from the fps crowd updating to the 5dIII and from landscape photographers moving to the Nikon d800 (if the camera actually performs at low ISO). Yes, megapixels is not everything, but to say that the imaging sensor is not the heart and engine of a modern digital camera I think is naive. Computers get more powerful, big ink printers get better and more affordable and Canon cameras remain stagnant.

Everyone is making excuses for Canon, but surely after 3 years a few more pixels and an increase in DR could be expected?

So now I sit and wait, like many other Canon landscape photographers, as to whether the D800 is for real. Can it approach the IQ of the Pentax 645d (yes I dare to dream!)? If the D800 actually delivers, then I definitely sell may Canon gear and go Nikon. Hell, it is just gear! And don't get me going on the lenses...

Seems to me that Canon got very complacent and got caught with their pants down. What were they doing the last 3 years??? I'm sure in a year or two they will have an answer and the game will continue, but for now they are on the sidelines.

For a modern landscape photographer a weather sealed body (you listening Canon!!) and 36MP sensor is very exciting. If you say otherwise I'd say your lying (and I have an old Pinto in the driveway that I want to sell you!). And if d800 delivers decent IQ that approaches that of the Pentax 645d, then $3000 is a good deal and Nikon will have a runaway winner.

The 5dII moved me from medium format film and has been a wonderful tool. But I want more! And after 3 years I expected more and so did a lot of others.

My 2 Cents,
Hondo

email canon and ask them to engineer a camera for you based just on YOUR needs.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dipak49ers/sets/

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232
Re: If 5D2 was great, how can 5D3 be a dud?

Agree - Canon made a good choice in keeping to 20mp+ resoluion - evolution of the great 5d line improving AF and noise supression - we have a wider range of Iso from 100 - 25,600 (Native)

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,240
This was my first reaction too, but...

quickly realized it is a false argument. It is clear the OP was saying the upgrade was a bust not the camera. Since he already owns a camera substantially the same as the 5D3 for the purposes of what he uses it for (with some minor improvement in DR and maybe the bracketing), he is faced with another 3-4 year wait for a camera that may address his needs assuming Canon doesn't pull their heads out and answer Nikon's D800 threat before then.

DotCom Editor wrote:

Maybe you got "dud" and "dude" mixed up.

So, dude, if my 5D2 is soooooooooooo good at landscapes, how can a 5D3 be a dud? I don't get it.

Now, I would like more pixels. A lot more. Like 40MP, perhaps. Alas, we didn't get that. But that doesn't make the 5D3 a dud.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,491

They couldn't have made the 5DIII 3 years ago because the Digic 5+ processor wasn't developed yet. Technology of today surpasses what was 3 years ago and as far as the mid-life makeover of cars such as Mustangs & Camaros they have improved greatly than their predecessors.

The 5DIII might not be for you but don't discount it yet. Specs are for reference but wait for the real image that comes from the camera before judging it's performance. Heck it's not even out yet and it's already getting a bad rap. This reminds me of the few people dishing the 60D before it came out but lots of people actually loved it including me.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M +1 more
etto72
etto72 Regular Member • Posts: 373

Than.... good luck with diffraction !!

Hondo Lane wrote:

I have owned a 5dII for 3 years and have used it extensively to photograph landscapes and flat art (for reproductions). Wonderful camera. I have a wack of printers and have found the 5dII is good - for me - to about 16x24. I need to go bigger and although stitching works well, it is often not feasible or I discover that I screwed up in field.

So as a 5dII owner I held my breath that the new 5dIII would give us landscape photographers (and studio photographers) something useful - like more DR and more pixels. Of no interest to me is high ISO performance, fps, auto focus points, etc. Ya, I know get a MF camera (too many $$).

What did the 5dIII give to the landscape / studio photographers over the 5dII - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. NADA. NADA. NADA. If you think about it, why would a landscape photographer considering Canon buying a 5dIII??? There is going to be a flood a good 5dII bodies on the market, very soon, from the fps crowd updating to the 5dIII and from landscape photographers moving to the Nikon d800 (if the camera actually performs at low ISO). Yes, megapixels is not everything, but to say that the imaging sensor is not the heart and engine of a modern digital camera I think is naive. Computers get more powerful, big ink printers get better and more affordable and Canon cameras remain stagnant.

Everyone is making excuses for Canon, but surely after 3 years a few more pixels and an increase in DR could be expected?

So now I sit and wait, like many other Canon landscape photographers, as to whether the D800 is for real. Can it approach the IQ of the Pentax 645d (yes I dare to dream!)? If the D800 actually delivers, then I definitely sell may Canon gear and go Nikon. Hell, it is just gear! And don't get me going on the lenses...

Seems to me that Canon got very complacent and got caught with their pants down. What were they doing the last 3 years??? I'm sure in a year or two they will have an answer and the game will continue, but for now they are on the sidelines.

For a modern landscape photographer a weather sealed body (you listening Canon!!) and 36MP sensor is very exciting. If you say otherwise I'd say your lying (and I have an old Pinto in the driveway that I want to sell you!). And if d800 delivers decent IQ that approaches that of the Pentax 645d, then $3000 is a good deal and Nikon will have a runaway winner.

The 5dII moved me from medium format film and has been a wonderful tool. But I want more! And after 3 years I expected more and so did a lot of others.

My 2 Cents,
Hondo

etto72's gear list:etto72's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Sony a7R Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
mrahmo Contributing Member • Posts: 580
what if canon did a high MP camera

many will say that it is a bad camera, and will give lots of reasonsto justify it

the ideal camera is not made yet
do u want MP ir high ISO orspeed or, or , or

happy with canon??????, stay
not happy????? go Nikon

just stop pointless talk
--
http://www.shutter-house.com
http://www.facebook.com/shutterhousephoto

mrahmo's gear list:mrahmo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Ben Raven Forum Member • Posts: 79

If man was meant to fly he'd have been given wings !
22.3 miles an hour is crazy fast enough for these horseless carriages !
Noooo, we don't need a wet plate that big, Mr. Brady !

Hondo,

Wow, amazing how wildly emotional some of these forum responses are to your calm and reasoned comments on the MK III !!
(It's only a camera after all)

Faggettabout all the how much $ someone can make, and how 22MP is just peachy for me --oooh, I'm scared of any more, and that you Hondo, are being crazy, naive, and demanding to ever even dream of wanting any more --
TIME,TECH AND SPEC MARCHES ON, PEOPLE ! (trademark that for me, Colbert)

Over three years later (the late jurassic in tech years), with ALL the parameters of sensor technology advancing, and this year in particular as an order of magnitude year (even so far) for said advances--and what does Canon do for a followup to its flagship (and deservedly lauded) MkII, which if you remember was THE ORIGINAL cam that "broke the bank" on MP's when it was introduced ?!?!?!

Wait for it, wait for it, (and we did !) drum roll please:
LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE . . . .

"CANON PRESENTS: A MEGA-COLOSSAL, BREATHTAKING, 1.2 MEGAPIXEL INCREASE !!!!!!!!!"
Is that the sound of crickets I'm hearing ?

Now of course, MP count is not everything, and CERTAINLY not the be all and end all in producing image quality, and yes, if overdone, can even lower said quality,
BUT it is an essential foundational something !
And a 22MP FF sensor image is hardly in the danger zone.

Reality Check: Some people are always content with less, but in general, and not just landscapers, people will want and USE more MP's in future than the MKIII can deliver.
It's already behind before it's out of the gate.

Not everyone does just one type of photography all the time. Most people do some of this and some of that. Some landscape, some travel, some macro (eg.give me more mp's !), some portraits, some . . . fill in the blank.

Remember, 2012 is just the INTRO date, the starting point for this cam, it will likely be in production til 2015 !!

Literally, and NOW IRONICALLY, the great 5DMKII defined the modern paradigm of high megapixel count synergistically linked to high quality.
And like all successful flagships, it buoyed Canon's Rep. and overall sales.

Not that the MKIII is not a great camera, it appears to be, but in a tech-race world with tough competition at your throat (e.g. Nikon, and soon up and coming Sony FF) Canon has now, with the MKIII, redefined the very essence and reason for that success of the fabled MKII, DOWNWARD.

At $500 more, and with 40% fewer pixels than its closest rival, D800, I believe that unlike the out of the park home run of the MKII, the MKIII will not only prove to be a DUD for landscape photographers like Hondo, but will be a MARKETING DUD !

My overall reaction to the 5DMKIII is, and I believe the market's will be:
UNDERWHELMED.

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Re: apparently landscape photographers do nothing but whine

I don't know about "uncle Bob and "aunt Edna" but I am pretty sure that the wedding photographer crowd is who Canon had in mind for this camera. For this the AF is right, the firing rate is about right and the resolution is about right. Those guys don't shoot much at ISO=100 so they won't care too much about the extra 2 stops of DR either.

And speaking from the perspective of "uncle Dave" it will probably work pretty well for what I want to do as well. My nieces are already married so I probably won't be getting in your way at any weddings in the near future

Dave

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Matsu Senior Member • Posts: 2,282
5D3 is just fine

It's a more robust body and an improved sensor. It costs more, but that's easy enough to fix with discounts, bundles and promotions. If the last one was good for landscape, then this one is better. I don't see it as a dud. Ironically, I'm getting a D800 even though I won't be shooting landscapes. For my use, the 5D3's smaller files and faster FPS would actually be advantages, but I have Nikon flashes and crop cameras and lenses, so there's no point switching. If I had a bag full of Canon gear, I'd get a 5D3 in a heartbeat.

Overall, they're not that far apart (5D3 and D800), and most of the time, the prints you get from them won't be either. Each will sell well on the basis of being the most affordable new full frame camera for one of the two major 35mm systems (EF and F mount). People will rationalize the other differences, real and perceived, but cost and frame size are the big criteria here - and in this respect they're close enough, just like most of their other gear.

If you already have a 5D2, then maybe you don't need a 5D3 just for landscapes, but that doesn't make it a dud. Just means that you don't need what it offers. Nikon may sell more D800s, but they've not had an "affordable" high resolution camera before.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998

If they are really planning on addressing the MP issue, then they better announce to the world that they're working on it. Because Nikon is dangling a couple of fat, juicy carrots (D800/D800E) in front of all these restless people.

Since Canon is silent so far, either they are too dumb to see the problem or they have nothing in the works.

Greg Lavaty wrote:

With all the whining that is going on right now my guess is that they will be addressing the MP’s next.

Greg

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more

Mid level luxury cars don't need V8 engines either, but V8 sells these cars. Lexus learned fast and are selling boatloads, while Acura stubbornly insists that V6 is all one needs.

Maybe Nikon knows best that nobody needs 36MP, but if they figure that makes their cameras fly off the shelves, that's what they do.

MASTERPPA wrote:

there are a lot more people who don't need more then 22MP.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Mid level luxury cars don't need V8 engines either, but V8 sells these cars. Lexus learned fast and are selling boatloads, while Acura stubbornly insists that V6 is all one needs.

V8s might sell in the US but definitely not in Europe where we pay a lot more for petrol (gas).

Maybe Nikon knows best that nobody needs 36MP, but if they figure that makes their cameras fly off the shelves, that's what they do.

MASTERPPA wrote:

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

Your post is refreshing especially after seeing the few sarcasm attempting but pointless posts just before yours. You’re right human being will never stop to seek progress that’s what made what we are today. What yours and the “good enough” posts have reminded me is the opening scene of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. What will happen if the rest of apes told the ape who discovered to use bone as a tool: don’t bother we are good with what we have now? The movie can end right there.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more

meland wrote:

My bad, I was thinking about the US market, although, here in Singapore, where petrol is about US$8 per gallon, there's still plenty of V8s running around. Ironically, these are mostly European makes.

EvokeEmotion wrote:

V8s might sell in the US but definitely not in Europe where we pay a lot more for petrol (gas).

MASTERPPA wrote:

So you're implying had the 5D3 turned out to be 40MP, shoots 4FPS, and retains the same 9pt AF, you and other Wedding photogs would not whine about it? Come on! If you can't stand the whining, get off the forums yourself!

jamesfrmphilly wrote:

i don't care if you like the 5D III or not. just get off the forums whining about it.
buy a MF! rent one. get a D800. i don't care. just stop the whining.

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

This thread is obviously to address the issue of 5DIII as a landscape camera. I have no idea why someone who does not shoot landscape wants to come here to ask people to shut up.

EvokeEmotion wrote:

So you're implying had the 5D3 turned out to be 40MP, shoots 4FPS, and retains the same 9pt AF, you and other Wedding photogs would not whine about it? Come on! If you can't stand the whining, get off the forums yourself!

jamesfrmphilly wrote:

i don't care if you like the 5D III or not. just get off the forums whining about it.
buy a MF! rent one. get a D800. i don't care. just stop the whining.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
steve ohlhaber Regular Member • Posts: 468

Thats what I wonder. Also, how did Nikon take a totally different approach. Does Nikon think there actually are more people that are doing landscapes. Does Nikon think they can seel more cameras with more pixels than with less. Somehow one of the top camera makers seems to be producing exactly what the canon landscape photographers want. Why did nikon make such a different choice. Were they stupid and messed up and made a camera with too many pixels. Are they the ones at fault here. Its not 10 people saying we want more pixels. Apparently, Nikon actual did it, they made an affordable camera with a lot of pixels. So, why did a major maker go this way when canon didnt. It sounds like everyone here on this site thinks its because nikon screwed up and nobody actually wants 36 megapixels and they will suffer and have low sales.

Chris59 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,437
Irreverent...

...but relevant (and funny!).

Chris59's gear list:Chris59's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,553
Re: Here's 15 advantages over the MarII for landscape and studio

David...I respectfully disagree. As an example...what do I care about higher ISO ratings as a landscape photographer? Hell, I shoot night-time landscapes at ISO400 and below, you just make longer exposures. No serious landscape shooter is going to do landscape shots at ISO25,600.

The only area where the 5D3 is better than the 5D2 for landscapes is the addition of the digital level and better ergonomics.

Clint
http://clintdunn.zenfolio.com

Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads