5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions
ronm2008 Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: 5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

To me, it seems that Canon made great improvements to the 5DIII, and I am actually very excited about the camera. For myself, it is the perfect camera that I can afford (or at least close enough that I don't feel like switching to Nikon).

However, I can see where those needing higher resolution could be upset.

I think the problem that Canon made for itself is that when it released the 5DII, it became the "high megapixel camera", and it attracted a lot of customers who wanted more megapixels. Those who needed super AF or high FPS used a different camera. Now, Canon has shifted gears with the 5DIII, and the target audience has shifted along with it. This has left a lot of 5DII owners feeling betrayed.

Canon could have done better by calling this camera a 3D, and releasing a 5DIII with more megapixels.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: Who knows

technic wrote:

I think Canon is in for a rough ride, and the pre-orders seem to confirm that.

Do you have any actual pre-order figures? The only indication I have seen is Amazon's ranking and since the date on which each started is different (the 5D3 being quite a lot later than the D800) I'm not even sure that is even a meaningful rating. Nor is it based on world wide data.

Now maybe I'm wrong, and there are millions of Pro wedding/sports photographers who are all rushing out to buy a 5D3 as soon as it is available, and make sure 5D3 sells in far more volume than that 'amateur' camera from Nikon. But I doubt it ...

Stone13 Regular Member • Posts: 204

just proves some people will never be happy. The great majority of complaints against the 5DII were it had poor af other than the center point, not enough fps, only had a single card slot, had poor weather sealing and for the pixel peepers it had too much banding and pattern noise. Canon addressed pretty much all of those things and now people have something new to complain about, laughable when you actually think about it.

Nikon release a big MP camera and everyone starts crying. News flash, you aren't required to keep your Canon gear, you can sell it and move on but of course it's easier to bitch and moan to anyone who bothers to listen.....
--

7D gripped | Sigma 30 1.4 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 15-85 IS USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 430 EX II | Billingham 445

technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

meland wrote:

technic wrote:

I think Canon is in for a rough ride, and the pre-orders seem to confirm that.

Do you have any actual pre-order figures? The only indication I have seen is Amazon's ranking and since the date on which each started is different (the 5D3 being quite a lot later than the D800) I'm not even sure that is even a meaningful rating. Nor is it based on world wide data.

no, I don't have actual figures, just seen the Amazon rankings and a few similar ones from other big players. Agree this is nothing more than a first indication, but the difference between 5D3 and D800 is pretty staggering.

Stone13 wrote:

News flash, you aren't required to keep your Canon gear, you can sell it and move on

if you read the forum that's exactly what is going to happen, if Canon doesn't announce an appropriate, reasonably priced alternative to the 5D3 within the next few months or so.

jamesfrmphilly
jamesfrmphilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,603
apparently landscape photographers do nothing but whine

get the D800E, please

jamesfrmphilly's gear list:jamesfrmphilly's gear list
Canon G7 X II
yabokkie Regular Member • Posts: 483
Re: Pentax 645D is not big enough to offset slower lenses.

with a different set of strengths and weaknesses.

then one weakness of Pentax 645D is its (exposure related) image quality.
simple and straight forward thing some people refuse to see.

MadManAce wrote:

similar to what Canon did with the 5D Mark III. They targeted pros over hobbyist, which to my understanding, most landscapers are hobbyist, although I know a ton of them. Whether they make money of photography or not, I do know there are many and they do spend. It is not a market to ignore simply because they do not make money from their hobby.

fully agree, but some others here think you could not be more wrong.

See the link below to see the D800e and the Leica S2, which is a faux MF, actually, since the Pentax 645 is a cropped sensor, it is too.

The links seem to be unavailable at the moment, but my guess is that in many real life situations, the D800 with the right lens will be pretty close to Leica S2 and Pentax 645.

For me it is far more important that the D800 is relatively light and compact, lots of quality pixels in a standard DSLR. This means more landscape opportunities than with heavy MF gear that absolutely requires tripod and is slower to handle. I would never consider using a view camera or something similar, irrespective of quality. I used a Mamiya 645 kit long ago, and although the quality compared to 35mm (Nikon F2) was very nice, the weight was too limiting for me.

Re: apparently landscape photographers do nothing but whine

apparently the pro wedding shooters have insufficient business volume, as they are all over the place trying to force everyone into liking the 5D3 ...

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174

technic wrote:

apparently the pro wedding shooters have insufficient business volume, as they are all over the place trying to force everyone into liking the 5D3 ...

What does that have to do with business volume? It's the slow season for weddings. We have 35 weddings booked for this year, we've done 4, have 3 more this month, one in April than all hell breaks loose until the end of October. And we're not even done booking, we have 3 client appointments set for this week, too.
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Christian S New Member • Posts: 22

I'm already starting to feel sorry for the guys over in the Nikon forums

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Re: Here's 15 advantages over the MarII for landscape and studio

carlk wrote:

The thing matters most for landscape photographers is how much details the camera can show. Most of the things mentioned by the previous poster don't matter at all when you put the camera on tripod which I don't think he even know.

technic wrote:

are you are landscape photographer? I guess not, because then you would see that most of these improvements are not relevant for landscape work, or so tiny that no one will upgrade because of them.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
All of these things he listed are advantages, whether on or off a tripod:
1) better weatherproofing
2) very slightly more resolution (almost insignificant, but real)
3) thinner AA filter yields more and sharper detail per MP (see IR's samples)
4) very slightly better DR and noise at low ISO

5) considerably better DR and noise at higher ISO (e.g., very low light landscapes), yielding faster shutter speeds for moving elements, and somewhat allow shorter intervals between exposures, for HDR

6) greater FPS speed is also good for high light value HDR's, as it can minimize subject movement in between exposures, with shorter intervals between exposures
7) in-camera HDR
8) better auto bracketing options for HDR or just to insure accurate exposures

Unless you're planning on doing HDR hand held that is...
Sheesh...
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Re: D800 should be better than Pentax 645D

people shoot with lens wide open for meteor shower and aurora,
a faster lens usually reaches the wanted "sweet-spot" faster, and
D800 can get same DoF at an f-number about 2/3 some stops smaller than 645D
(so at least there is no disadvantage at the D800 side).

about resolution, the difference may be seen if both 645D and D800 have similar AA filters. there is a chance D800E can resolve more (maybe that's what it's for).

besides resolution, all the current 35mm DSLRs beat 645D already,
in the term of exposure related image quality (as a system with lenses).

Dave_K Regular Member • Posts: 426
Let me introduce myself:

I'm your exception. I shoot kids sports and don't make diddly. My landscape stuff on the other hand - money.

I'll give Canon some time to answer the Nikon. But if they don't answer, I will be forced to - with my wallet.

Dave_K's gear list:Dave_K's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 11-24mm F4L Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Essai Regular Member • Posts: 203

read the OP again.

mischivo
mischivo Contributing Member • Posts: 620
16 x 24, Only?

I've had a professional lab make prints of equal size from scanned 35mm strips of Kodak Ektar 100. And although my scanner scans at about 21-22 megapixels, I know that for a fact, it out-resolves the emulsion itself. I'd say the stock has an actual resolution of 10-14 megapixels. Despite all of this, my prints look great. How close are you viewing your prints at?

-- hide signature --

cinematography :: http://paulkounine.com/cine
photography :: http://pavelkounine.com

I shoot film. I shoot digital. Both are great in their own ways. The nice thing about film is that I can always have the most advanced imaging technology around packed into my 20 year old camera. That's one aspect of digital that I loathe.

Tom Melanson
Tom Melanson Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

Geez! What did landscape photographers do with their poor "old" 1Ds and 1DsMkII's?

A lot did what I did. Sell limited edition prints garnered from the output of these fine cameras. Prints that are currently displayed in venues in sizes up to 10 FEET in width.

The 5DIII will be more than a "capable" landscape camera.

(BTW, this comment is not to be construed as a Canon vs Nikon thing. More MP's is always welcome, but not always necessary.)
--
(See equipment list under 'profile')

Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +9 more

sorry you can skip my first line if you insist.
at least we know there is no advantage Pentax 645D have over D800,
except small difference of pixels (real resolving power we don't know yet).

David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Here's 15 advantages over the MarII for landscape and studio

carlk wrote:

The thing matters most for landscape photographers is how much details the camera can show. Most of the things mentioned by the previous poster don't matter at all when you put the camera on tripod which I don't think he even know.

technic wrote:

are you are landscape photographer? I guess not, because then you would see that most of these improvements are not relevant for landscape work, or so tiny that no one will upgrade because of them.

Good grief, I must have spent the last 35 years as a professional photographer, the last nine or ten years shooting only digital capture, in complete ignorance of how photographs are shot. Actually, I do know what matters to landscape and studio photographers; the advantages I cited apply equally to cameras on tripods and handheld, and they will increase, either directly or indirectly, apparent detail in both larger and smaller prints. Finally, I, for the life of me, am baffled by both of your replies that seem to indicate that you either ignored precisely what I wrote or have so little imagination as to not understand how it applies. Please try to think about your answers a little more next time you reply.

Regards,
David

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

jamesfrmphilly
jamesfrmphilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

i don't care if you like the 5D III or not. just get off the forums whining about it.
buy a MF! rent one. get a D800. i don't care. just stop the whining.

i suspect that resolution is about more than how many MP you can cram onto a sensor.

but if MP is your thing than go for it. find a way to get what you need. stop crying about what canon puts in the market place. apparently, there are a lot more wedding shooters than landscape. who do you expect canon to favor? the wedding shooters buy enough cameras to subsidize the rest of us. i'm grateful to them. lord knows canon will not make a profit off of what i purchase.

go get a MF, please.

jamesfrmphilly's gear list:jamesfrmphilly's gear list
Canon G7 X II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads