D800e vs D800 Sample RAW on Polish website

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
kuzmacom2 Regular Member • Posts: 113
D800e vs D800 Sample RAW on Polish website

The link to the 2 page comparison is here, but please copy and paste, since DP prefers not to link directly:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14571&p=1

Here is a translation:
"Nikon D800 - Test photos

Nikon D800 is a twin version of the semi-professional full frame DSLR Japanese manufacturer - D800. The only difference between these cameras is a weak low-pass filter in the D800. About how this translates into the quality of the image you can see later in this article.

Nikon D800 is a special version of the new full frame DSLR Japanese manufacturer. Since the standard version of the Nikon D800 differs only a weak low-pass filter. The filter itself is in the case of digital cameras, optical system in front of the matrix. It aims to blur small incident on the sensor. In this way, manufacturers prevent the formation of moire, while making the chromatic aberrations are not so onerous. Weak low-pass filter allows for a sharper image, but we must take into account the possible imperfections of the image, which may occur because of this.

noise

In terms of noise Nikon D800 behaves exactly like the traditional version of this camera. Up to ISO 800 noise practically does not affect the image. At ISO 1600 there is a gentle "digital grain", which is even and pleasing to the eye. We note the decline in the quality of ISO 3200, but you can use freely, even with the next value, or ISO 6400. Following the enlargement of sensitivity to the value of H1, corresponding to ISO 12800, there is a strong discoloration that significantly interfere with the picture quality. Despite this, we can possibly her recourse. H2 values ​​can not be regarded as useful."

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP kuzmacom2 Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: D800e vs D800 Sample RAW on Polish website

There are also closeups of some currency, with the following description (which should provide many new comments on the debate between the D800e and D800):

"Print details

At this point apparatus start to vary. As we wrote yesterday, the new sensor in the camera Nikon D800e provides the highest picture quality. Weakened version of the low pass filter should allow for even more detailed images. And so, the picture is more clear than in the standard version. Note the brown bar located on the left side of the banknote. The Nikon D800e is a clear, regular structure can be observed in D800 soft focus. This situation is particularly evident at ISO 100 and ISO 200 At higher values ​​of devices closer together, in terms of image quality differences do not throw themselves so in the eyes. But at high ISO as ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 image from the D800e thanks to improved clarity, it looks much better, despite the same level of noise. As in the traditional version of the last sensitivity, which can be recourse is the value of H1."

OP kuzmacom2 Regular Member • Posts: 113

There is also an article from the day prior comparing the D800 and D4 at high iso

powertoold Contributing Member • Posts: 505
There's no moire!!!

Seriously, how hard do you have to try to get moire to show it's ugly face?

MadManAce Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: There's no moire!!!

This almost makes me regret getting the Standard version. The 800E is amazing!!!

uuronl Senior Member • Posts: 1,671

I remember getting pretty bad moire with my D70 and that -had- an AA filter. It may not pop up all that often, but when it does it's no picnic.

uuronl's gear list:uuronl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800
wombat779 Regular Member • Posts: 210

powertoold wrote:

Seriously, how hard do you have to try to get moire to show it's ugly face?

I'm not surprised, as nothing about this image strikes me as particularly prone to moire. While there are lots of repeating patterns, they repeat at well above the frequency of the sensor (i.e. all the repeating lines are significantly larger than a pixel width).

cafenated Forum Member • Posts: 78

and here's the d800 samples...

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14565&nikon-d800-zdjecia-testowe

You can download full sized jpgs to compare to. I can only barely perceive a difference in the fabrics.

MadManAce wrote:

This almost makes me regret getting the Standard version. The 800E is amazing!!!

I have the opposite reaction. Looking at the 100% banknote crops they posted of the D800 against the D800E, I am surprised at how incredibly minor the differences are (if any). Makes me glad I went with the standard version, as differences which are only detectible with absurd amounts of pixel peeping aren't worth the risk of extra moire for me.

powertoold Contributing Member • Posts: 505

But how / when where will you see a pattern that is 1 pixel AND sharp? The bill and fabrics shown here have a VERY fine pattern. If you were to take this picture a bit farther back, the patterns may be 1 pixel, but the lens would not be able to resolve the detail as well, and the moire will be reduced anyway.

wombat779 wrote:

MadManAce wrote:

I have the opposite reaction. Looking at the 100% banknote crops they posted of the D800 against the D800E, I am surprised at how incredibly minor the differences are (if any). Makes me glad I went with the standard version, as differences which are only detectible with absurd amounts of pixel peeping aren't worth the risk of extra moire for me.

I went by the online crops. I downloaded the pictures but I don’t have time to critically review them as I am getting my gear ready for a night shoot. I will look at them tomorrow. I have never been bothered with AA filter on D3 (and D700) and A900. I am sure that I made the right decision because I do not want to add more time to my workflow when it does rear its ugly head.

u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

I think up to 6400 looks amazing

Viewing the image to fit my 27 inch (2560x1440) screen, I can barely tell 100 and 6400 apart

12800 gets worse, but useable

25600 for emergencies

By the way I also downloaded the Leica S2 files at http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=10571&p=2

I look forward to comparing the two cameras.

powertoold wrote:

But how / when where will you see a pattern that is 1 pixel AND sharp? The bill and fabrics shown here have a VERY fine pattern. If you were to take this picture a bit farther back, the patterns may be 1 pixel, but the lens would not be able to resolve the detail as well, and the moire will be reduced anyway.

No, the moire should be at its worst when the patterns are just at or below the pixel size, and it will jump out even if the underlying pattern shows little detail. The whole issue is that you will never know when the pattern will hit the right frequency on the sensor to create moire, so that you have to be ready to check for it and adjust/reshoot on the fly. This is why the D800E has been targeted towards studio shooters who have that luxury.

On another note, looking more closely at the image, I do think we may be seeing some moire/false color in the D800E version. For example, take a look at this crop from the samples. The D800E version to me shows an odd magenta/green wavy pattern that is not obviously visible in the D800 version. See below:

troukhad Regular Member • Posts: 270

I just download nef files to test how my computer will handle 36MP files.
Here are some jpegs (my conversion – no NR applied)
ISO12,800

100% crop – iso 12,800

100% crop – iso 3,200

-- hide signature --
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,700
Thanks for these links. I am really surprised..

at how close the output of the D800 is to the D800(E). The D800 looks really good so far.

Cheers,
-------
Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Julian Vrieslander Senior Member • Posts: 1,069

kuzmacom2 wrote:

The link to the 2 page comparison is here, but please copy and paste, since DP prefers not to link directly:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14571&p=1

The above URL links to the second of two pages showing D800E results. The first page of the D800E results is here:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14571&p=0

The D800 results are on these two pages:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14565&p=0

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14565&p=1

I downloaded the D800E shot containing the bank note, ribbons and fabric (ISO 100 NEF version). Amazing detail and clarity. Unfortunately, the corresponding NEF for the D800 seems to be missing. The link is bad. Perhaps someone who knows Polish can notify the webmaster.

eurycea Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: Thanks for these links. I am really surprised..

Looks like two slightly different exposures between the D800 and D800e. Other than that I don't seem much of a sharpness hit for the D800, of course, that is certainly subjective.

eurycea's gear list:eurycea's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Re: Thanks for these links. I am really surprised..

nikonboi wrote:

at how close the output of the D800 is to the D800(E). The D800 looks really good so far.

Agree completely. In fact, after adding just a tiny amount of sharpening to the D800 image, I was completely unable to tell which image was from the D800 and which was from the D800E, other than the presence of the minor false color pattern in the D800E image I showed above.

gonzalu
gonzalu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,392
Wow! I see the ISO 6400 shot...

... the bank note looks so clean I had to look at the shadows to see the noise... Amazing. I know this is atypical of the situations you will shoot ISO 6400 but, knowing what is possible in a controlled environment can be extrapolated to field use... thanks for the link!
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.thrustimages.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads