El cheapo bag takes E-PL3 underwater!

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
You must have the smallest size; I got the middle one

And yes, you can operate the sliding switchs on the ZS3/TZ7 at a pinch, but it's not great.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Ron, you're talking solid sense except for two factors...

...housing then needs flash. Also it is big and bulky. Little self-contained cam has flash built in and is pocketable. I need a small, compsct solution. I carry my kit around in pockets, not even a bag.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 1,815
Re: Wonderful results, Sky

Hen3ry wrote:

Not too shabby? Quite satisfied? Not shabby? Quite? Wow! You ought to dancing in the streets! Some beautiful pix there (I checked through the site).

Thanks for the positive comments. Well, I am satisfied that this small fun camera provided a quality like this, though it is far from DSLR territory. I even got some of those images published scientifically.

So I am indeed a little proud of this. But, as I said most depends on your technique, i.e. getting your body steady in the slightest of waves and holding your breath for at least 30 seconds. I have to learn real diving, then it gets a lot easier (keeping steady that is). So far I can only get down to about 6-10 m, but at this max I have nearly no time to take images.

And that little cam has the advantage of flash. It's looking like a better plan, all right.

The funny thin is I did nor see a lot of creatures and details during the snorkling expeditions, only later on screen at 50-100% view. This is thanks to the built in flash, and the automacro. I even could do some short so-so HD videos underwater (Stingray, crab eating etc.).

And, of course, holding on to the rocks. Yes. Gloves. Or a glove. Better get one. The maritime equivalent of Michael Jackson!

Well, in coral reefs this is not a good idea I guess, since one would damage the corals. And of course there are a lot more poisonous animals around than in the Mediterranean.

Cheers

Claudius

-- hide signature --

"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more
wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,716
Re: OK, dear H3nry, dear H3nry ...

Hen3ry wrote:

But how do you get it off at the end? Poke a stick down the side to press the button? Or do you watch the scales off your stinky old fish knife and ...

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Sorry couldn't resist the old kid's song reference ...

Nah, no stinky fishy stuff involved, just push down on the plastic above the lens release button, quite easy as the vinyl is quite soft and pliable. With the lens "tube" off then I can grasp the lens barrel with finger tips to twist and lift out.
Sounds more fiddly than it is to do

And amazingly never had any sensor dust/dirt problems whatsoever! That SSWF really works even for M43 exposed sensors!

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
wolfie

"The funny thin is I did nor see a lot of creatures and details during the snorkling expeditions, only later on screen at 50-100% view. This is thanks to the built in flash, and the automacro. I even could do some short so-so HD videos underwater (Stingray, crab eating etc.). "

Same experience here - on the screen you often find exciting details not visible/obvious at the time...

Then I saw the barncales feeding ..

Cool!

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 1,815

Nice. Same here with the Bryozoan lophophores. I knew there was a colony, but I did not see the animal extended. Same goes for foraminifera.

Cheers
--
"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more
Hen3ry
Re: OK, dear H3nry, dear H3nry ...

wolfie wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

But how do you get it off at the end? Poke a stick down the side to press the button? Or do you watch the scales off your stinky old fish knife and ...

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Sorry couldn't resist the old kid's song reference ...

That;'s fine, just so long as the hole is in the bucket, dear lisa, dear lisa, and not in the plastic bag!!!

(And thanks to Mr Harry Belafonte for the best rendition of that -- ever!)

Nah, no stinky fishy stuff involved, just push down on the plastic above the lens release button, quite easy as the vinyl is quite soft and pliable. With the lens "tube" off then I can grasp the lens barrel with finger tips to twist and lift out.
Sounds more fiddly than it is to do

And amazingly never had any sensor dust/dirt problems whatsoever! That SSWF really works even for M43 exposed sensors!

Good grief! Let's not tell Louis!

I can see my problem actually has been trying to do this with the small lenses -- the 17 and 14 -- rather than the physically longer 14-42. And also being at the hysterical end of common sense in respect of the bag's integrity. Right! Gotcha!

Fun stuff this, isn't it?

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Hen3ry
Episode 2! -- Regarding color, I've just realized...

...I did that stupid thing that makes bad science -- changed too many things at once. The OOC color I got in Episode 2 was influenced by the fat that I had switched the Picture mode to iEnhance. Should have left it at Vivid.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
So where can one buy this miraculous bag?
-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
wolfie
Re: So where can one buy this miraculous bag?

You ca try the home site http://www.dicapc.com , but a search will bring up hundreds of places selling them.

I must admit if I would have bought the bigger DSLR bag because of the E-P3 dimensions, especially with the kit zoom. But I went into my local shop and they let me fiddle with the WP-610 case and try out the lens off- lens on approach with my camera - which meant they got the sale and I got a smaller, cheaper bag than the usual one recommended.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads