Max pixel file size iPad / iPhoto versus Nikon D800

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions
Johan Coppieters
Johan Coppieters New Member • Posts: 2
Max pixel file size iPad / iPhoto versus Nikon D800

In the recent Apple keynote they said the iPhoto app can handle images up to 19 Megapixels.

Does this mean, I won't be able to store my images on my iPad once I get the Nikon D800?

On location, backing up and previewing images on the iPad is paramount.

Johan.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,419
Re: Max pixel file size iPad / iPhoto versus Nikon D800

If they said that, it obviously means that you won't be able to use the iOS version of iPhoto to edit full-size (36.3 megapixel) D800 images. Adobe's Photoshop Touch app would not be too useful here, either; if I recall the review, its maximum editing area is 1600 pixels by 1600 pixels.

As to what it means for transferring images from the camera to the computer via the iPad, you'd need to take a look at the capabilities advertised for the Camera Connection Kit and the built-in photo display app. I think I've read that previews of imported RAW files use the (usually low-resolution) embedded JPG images, but otherwise I'm not sure what resolution limits exist, if any.

Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

Johan Coppieters wrote:

In the recent Apple keynote they said the iPhoto app can handle images up to 19 Megapixels.

Does this mean, I won't be able to store my images on my iPad once I get the Nikon D800?

On location, backing up and previewing images on the iPad is paramount.

No sweat. A lot of people are getting it a bit confused, it reminds me of the beginning of digital cameras and a confusion between file size and image resolution.

The confusion here is data versus Apps. Your D800 files are data, and they will transfer to the iPad from the camera connector kit to iPad storage unhindered. And can then be transferred from the iPad to a computer unhindered. The transferred file will be an exact digital copy, indistinguishable from the digital copy on your CF/SD card.

However, there are also Apps on the iPad that can access the photo data, such as the Photo App, iPhoto, Photoshop touch, Snapseed, Filterstorm and so on.

These Apps have limits that may impact what data can be used by those Apps and how out of limit files are handled, but it is not related to the storage of the files themselves, it's 'simply' related to how usable that data is on the iPad.

For most Apps, the major factor is raw versus JPEG. The iOS provides a method of getting a viewable image out of raw files. This method is used by the Photo App, iPhoto, Photoshop Touch, Filterstorm, Snapseed and probably 99.9% of all photo Apps. But it is quite crude. It simply extracts the largest embedded JPEG from the EXIF. The resolution of this embedded JPEG varies from camera to camera. I've come to the conclusion 1/4 resolution is the most common (0.5h x 0.5w) but others have different opinions, so you may need to research that for yourself. It must be documented somewhere that's accessible online, just a case of finding where. Then we can replace opinions with facts.

You need to extrapolate how all these 'factors' work together with your chosen Apps. Here's an example:

Take a 5DMkII file (21.1MP).

First RAW:

Most Apps: will use iOS image handling and so get the embedded JPEG (let's assume 1/4 res for now) giving a 5.3MP file. This is below nearly all Apps limit, so any App will simply open this as a 5.3MP file (except photoshop touch which will resample as a 2.5MP file or crash)

piRAWnha: This uses its own raw processing logic instead of iOS's and will process the raw file and save a 21.1MP JPEG.

Next JPEG:

The JPEG is 21.1MP which is above most App photo limits, and so it will be treated differently in different Apps.

iPhoto - Files above 19MP get half-sampled so will be opened as a 5.3MP file (0.5h x 0.5w)

Snapseed - Files above 16MP are down-sampled to 16MP so will be opened as a 16MP file.

Photoshop Touch - Resampled to 1600 x 1600 (or crash)

Photostorm Pro - Limit is 22MP so no problem.

So hopefully you can see why this is becoming so confusing! However, the bottom line is that supported raw files can be stored and transferred without loss, and the image can be viewed differently in different Apps.

-Najinsky

Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

Store yes. Backup yes. Preview...of the embedded jpeg... yes (I think).

Edit the raw?

No.

Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

Najinsky wrote:

Photostorm Pro - Limit is 22MP so no problem.

That should of course read Filterstorm Pro. Probably the best Photo App for iPad.

-Najinsky

as4ronin New Member • Posts: 20

First, I want to agree on the FilterStorm app. I have used snapseed and while I like it the export size is very limiting, Filterstorm has no issues with scaling the export size and quality down. I have found Filterstorm to be very surprising in terms of capabilities.

I also wanted to join the conversation because many of the post I see that question supported resolution seem to miss the important point of export size. iPhoto for IOS as an example, I cannot currently find and comments regarding export quality and size so if anyone has first hand experience with this please share. I hesitate to add the application because I want to know what size the application exports images as. If I import a 16mb RAW file and edit it, what is the output. I found this to be a huge issue for me with Snapseed as the export was 1.5-2mb from my 16mb RAW file. I have seen other posts state the same limitation however I want to test and see if I import the files from the camera connection kit yields better results (me think it might). iPhoto would be for convenience and my wife, frankly, I cannot think of an app that could surpass Filterstorm, I find it amazing and much better when I use the Waycom Bamboo pen for editing instead of my fingers.

Regards

Peter Rongsted Senior Member • Posts: 1,641

as4ronin wrote:

I also wanted to join the conversation because many of the post I see that question supported resolution seem to miss the important point of export size. iPhoto for IOS as an example, I cannot currently find and comments regarding export quality and size so if anyone has first hand experience with this please share. I hesitate to add the application because I want to know what size the application exports images as. If I import a 16mb RAW file and edit it, what is the output.

It will be a jpeg based on the embedded jpeg from the raw file.

I found this to be a huge issue for me with Snapseed as the export was 1.5-2mb from my 16mb RAW file.

As the saved file is a jpeg the file size sounds OK to me. The resolution should be the same as the file that was opened. Except on the 1st-gen iPad the resolution is limited to 6.25 MPix and on iPad 2 it is 16MPix. Both are limits when using the iOS API.

I have seen other posts state the same limitation however I want to test and see if I import the files from the camera connection kit yields better results (me think it might). iPhoto would be for convenience and my wife, frankly, I cannot think of an app that could surpass Filterstorm, I find it amazing and much better when I use the Waycom Bamboo pen for editing instead of my fingers.

As najinski wrote above most of the applications use the embedded jpeg when opening raw files. That includes Filterstorm.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
as4ronin New Member • Posts: 20

I do understand the embedded jpeg issue however several apps either downsample their exported post processed image or base their working file on an a small embedded jpeg as opposed to creating one from the RAW file itself (assuming this is happening). When I process my .DNG files in Filterstorm, my exported image is much larger than I get from Snapseed (example: 12mb DNG gets me 8mb jpeg) which gives me a 1-2mb file. I suspect this may have something to do with the apps ability to process the RAW file as opposed to using the embedded jpeg within the file, not sure if this is accurate. Without buying and testing, I simply don't know how the iPhoto IOS application process the photos and what the resulting image file size is with respect to the original file. This same limitation can be seen with the new Adobe application that is limited to 1600x1600 output.

Johan Coppieters
OP Johan Coppieters New Member • Posts: 2

Hey guys,

many thanks to all the comments, I think the: "

• store: yes

• backup: yes

• view/editing: embedded or down-sampled jpeg

• export/save: depending on the app "

sums it all for the large imported files.

Johan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads