Yes the Pany 7-14 can take filters!

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions
robonrome
robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,334
Yes the Pany 7-14 can take filters!

...with a bit of help from a peanut butter jar lid and an old unknown brand filter holder...

I know this has been done before, but here's my adaptation and allows use at 7mm without vignetting - I had an old unknown brand filter holder with a 77mm thread. I was going to buy another lens cap, but fished around and found a plastic peanut butter lid that when I trimmed the thread away made a nice snug fit over the fixed lens hood of the 7-14 (that's the flash of blue you can see) and which allowed a similarly snug fit inside the 77mm filter thread with a round or two of pvc tape. A few dabs of super glue for safety and voila. It fits to the lens by friction and I can push it back far enough that there's no vignetting even at 7mm so long as I have the filter holder nice and square.

I took it for a spin using a glass Lee CPL and a 3stop soft Lee GND. Not the ideal scenes for the GND, but it was more for practice and at least show's the rig works.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
CharlesTokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 721
Re: Yes the Pany 7-14 can take filters!

Nice. Are those Lee's 100mm filters? It looks awfully big on the lens. The filter holder looks like it's a Kenko one. As far as I can tell it's identical to the ones in Yodobashi here.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +22 more
robonrome
OP robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,334

CharlesTokyo wrote:

Nice. Are those Lee's 100mm filters? It looks awfully big on the lens. The filter holder looks like it's a Kenko one. As far as I can tell it's identical to the ones in Yodobashi here.

yes they're lee 100mm filters. I use them on my Canon DSLR kit. Shows just how compact the 7-14 actually is. Kenko makes sense - it was a cheapy I picked up second hand on ebay but works well with positive filter fitting and a no slip out the bottom stop for the closer filter slot (nice for my glass CPL).

Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
Vittorio Fracassi Senior Member • Posts: 1,348

very smart bit of do-it-yourself work and a good eye for choosing the components!

By the way, the for-the-sake-of-exercise pictures are very good.

Regards, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +10 more
QuixoticTonic Regular Member • Posts: 310
Why did Panasonic use a petal shaped hood?

I've suspected that a setup like yours could possibly work even at 7mm, but that brings up a question in my mind...

Why did Panasonic use a petal shaped hood if it isn't necessary to have the cutouts even at 7mm? If it doesn't block any view or vignette having the jar lid covering the cutouts, why have them?

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

robonrome
Re: Why did Panasonic use a petal shaped hood?

QuixoticTonic wrote:

I've suspected that a setup like yours could possibly work even at 7mm, but that brings up a question in my mind...

Why did Panasonic use a petal shaped hood if it isn't necessary to have the cutouts even at 7mm? If it doesn't block any view or vignette having the jar lid covering the cutouts, why have them?

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

With this setup I push back the lid bit sufficient that it doesn't block the cutouts and the first filter rests against the top of the fixed hood. No blocking means works fine at 7mm.

boyzo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,516
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Yes the Pany 7-14 can take filters! AND you can take...

…excellent pix. you've got the water just right, from where I sit.

Good job on the DIY, excellent job on the "testing" in the field (or meadow)!

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Midnighter Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

Hats off to you sir, I love your gonzo solution and I want that lens one day. Peanut butter though...mmm... not high class enough, when the time comes I will check out caviar lids.

robonrome

Thanks for the kind comments all.

A couple more from that session.

Photo Grapher
Photo Grapher Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Well done (nt)
-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611

Cheers!

Do you have an with/without filter image so we can judge the benefits of the CPL?
The images have a HDR look, have you processed them?
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,734
High Five! Great creative tweaking

As someone who uses the plastic top from a specific brand of cashew nuts as his lens cap for some DSLR telephoto lenses, I appreciate a good creative hack!

I've used my Cokin ND grads with the 7-14mm before by hand holding them, which is usually how I use them with any lens since I use them so seldom and attaching the Cokin rig takes so long. Not so good for long exposures, though, and I'm going to mess around a bit with your design for my own use.

robonrome

duartix wrote:

Cheers!

Do you have an with/without filter image so we can judge the benefits of the CPL?
The images have a HDR look, have you processed them?
--
Duarte Bruno

Hi Duarte, unfortunately no. Actually the CPL for the wider lake shots had no effect as I was facing directly away from the sun. For the water shots I rotated to reduce reflections and added a couple of stops to the exposure time, so say 1/4s instead of 1/16th etc.

Using the GND here has darkened above horizon trees - which I've tried to lighten by dodging. Also a light pass though Topaz Adjust photo-pop filter. Together this gives a slight HDR feel.

robonrome
Re: High Five! Great creative tweaking

Ednaz wrote:

As someone who uses the plastic top from a specific brand of cashew nuts as his lens cap for some DSLR telephoto lenses, I appreciate a good creative hack!

I've used my Cokin ND grads with the 7-14mm before by hand holding them, which is usually how I use them with any lens since I use them so seldom and attaching the Cokin rig takes so long. Not so good for long exposures, though, and I'm going to mess around a bit with your design for my own use

Good luck with the rig Ednaz

BTW cashew nuts tops, peanut butter lids... I sense a "nutty" theme developing

Bizzarrini Contributing Member • Posts: 517

Excellent solution! I've been thinking about buying a second lens front cover and modifying it to accomodate a step-up ring which would allow me to attach filters. However, I can't seem to find a spare lens cover anywhere...

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
woodseater New Member • Posts: 1

I thought I would just post details of a variation on the above options. There are quite a few different solutions floating around the interweb, here on dpreview and elsewhere, and I did a lot of searching before finding something which I thought would work for me, so I hope this is of use to others. I realise that the versions which use square filters are going to be more flexible (e.g. for using ND Grads) and will avoid vignetting, but what I was looking for was something which is as small, light and robust as possible. So this is effectively a variation on the modified-spare-lens-cap theme, but even simpler.

The basic idea was found here http://hkavmode.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/diy-filter-holder-for-panasonic-7-14mm.html, where you can see the gist is just to take a small cylindrical metal lens hood, and use it reversed over the Panasonic lens. A bit of packing is needed to make it a snug fit on the lens body, but essentially what you end up with is the thread of the metal lens hood then useable to screw a circular filter over the lens, with the filter being as flush as it is possible to get to the built-in plastic petals of the lens. That's it really.

So, I'm just reporting that (a) it works rather well, and (b) if you use an 82mm lens hood - instead of the 77mm used in the link - there is no vignetting until you get below 9mm. 8mm is usable if you expect to do a modest horizontal or vertical cop. 7mm has quite large vignettes, so the crop would have to be substantial.

I got the 82mm metal lens hood off ebay for just £2 GBP: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121013644716?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So, for those who want to use circular filters, and accept the limitations of that, I doubt there is an easier solution.

You have to make sure your circular filters are dual threaded of course i.e. have a female thread on what would normally be the front of the filter, because the arrangement is effectively that the metal lens hood is screwed to the front of the filter, and then the whole thing reversed and placed over the Panasonic lens.

Hope this is some use.

reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

Very resourceful and the photos are very good. Well done. B&H wants to order some of those

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads