X10 DR400 question

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions
_Streusel_ New Member • Posts: 16
X10 DR400 question

I'm thinking of perhaps getting the Fujifilm X10, but I have some questions, I hope someone can answer.

I don't care for more resolution than 6MP. What I want is a maximum in dynamic range, clean signal and color tones to have control over in a raw converter.

Would using the X10 in 6MP, DR400 mode best suit my needs?
Are the RAW files then in 6MP or 12MP or two times 6MP?

If the RAWs are in 6MP binned, is the full DR stored in them, or are they pre-processed and clipped in any way?
Does any RAW converter support full control over the full DR in X10 RAW files?

Does the 6MP DR400 approach have the problem with the later exposed pixels and the time difference issue when photographing fast objecs?
Any other quirks?

Streusel

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,579
Re: X10 DR400 question

Streusel wrote:

DR400 with ISO100 produces the best results.

RAW files are 19Mb when you shoot DR higher than ISO, such as DR400 at ISO200

RAW files are 10Mb when you shoot ISO = DR or higher, such as ISO400 with DR400, or ISO800 with DR400.

RAW file sizes are not affected by S M or L size settings, which affect JPEGs. Size settings are reflected in Silkypix output when you crop, for example. If set to L your RAW file will output 4000x3000.

Aspect ratio settings only affect the JPEG.

If the RAWs are in 6MP binned, is the full DR stored in them, or are they pre-processed and clipped in any way?

Full DR (really should be called Highlight Recovery) is available with DR400.

Not clipped until highlights exceed around +2.7EV.

I have seen +3.5EV on some images recently.

Silkypix works very well.

Does the 6MP DR400 approach have the problem with the later exposed pixels and the time difference issue when photographing fast objecs?

Silkypix outputs only one of the two exposures, as far as I can tell, but that image does have the exposure data (the combined output, level-wise, from the two sensor pairs) from both images or sensor pairs.

Any other quirks?

Well documented in here. Just read a few posts!

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967
Re: X10 DR400 question

Trevor G wrote:

Streusel wrote:

DR400 with ISO100 produces the best results.

Only if your frame needs 12-13 EV worth of dynamic range, else ISO 100 DR 100 at 12 mp produces the best result. That is, if there is enough light or you can afford to use long exposure times (watch for motion and blooming of highlights).

RAW files are 19Mb when you shoot DR higher than ISO, such as DR400 at ISO200

RAW files are 10Mb when you shoot ISO = DR or higher, such as ISO400 with DR400, or ISO800 with DR400.

Only if "RAW + JPG" is selected in combination with M size. At L size with "RAW + JPG" or generally with "RAW only" the files retain their proper 19 mb size.

"RAW only" 19 mb files will always be 12 MP and can only use (High Resolution) DR (not EXR DR). Furthermore DR 200/400 is only available at ISO settings equal or higher than DR.

"RAW + JPG" 19 mb files will be 12 MP at DR 100 and 2x 6 mp at DR 200/400, 10 mb files will always be 1x 6 mp and thus behave different in raw converter software.

RAW file sizes are not affected by S M or L size settings, which affect JPEGs.

Yes they are. Only the combination of "RAW + JPG" + size M + ISO 2x DR produces 10 mb files. All other combinations produce 19 mb files.

When I talked about this with Fuji support yesterday it took some time until the Fuji employee understood what I meant and then he just said something along the lines of: "Yes, that's the way it is". I consider it a bug.

Full DR seems to be stored, but the curves have been preprocessed and thus the image behaves very differently to any tone/exposure changes of your software. Same values will produce different results and some in-between steps will look different.

I have seen +3.5EV on some images recently.

That might be due to the fact that the X10 sometimes shoots pictures that do not make full use of the available range. I got a out-of-camera JPG that have quite some headroom before clipping whites (even with the flash shooting directly at a white door frame). So if the metering/shooter underexposes to begin with then the bigger headroom is no surprise.

"High Resolution" DR (ISO equal or higher than DR) should be supported converters that support pixel-binning of the EXR sensor. EXR DR (ISO lower than DR) seems to work best with Capture One at the moment (but it doesn't support 12 mp 4000x3000 resolution), Lightroom adds a purple tint to highlights of the longer exposed half and some funky colors at the blending points and RAW Converter EX/Silkypix seem to throw away all/most information of the longer exposed half (which is the same as only shooting an underexposed image at shorter time to begin with), RAW Therapee only seems to make use of the longer exposed half (throwing away the shorter half).

Silkypix outputs only one of the two exposures, as far as I can tell, but that image does have the exposure data (the combined output, level-wise, from the two sensor pairs) from both images or sensor pairs.

Which means that most of the pictures' information are lost and this is especially problematic with moving objects. The time difference problem only happens with EXR DR (ISO lower than DR + M size), but not with HR DR (ISO equal or higher than DR + M or L size). So it's not a question of 6 vs. 12 mp, but a question of ISO + DR combination.

Any other quirks?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=40863487&message=latest

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads