7D Serial Number

Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions
iMacdaddy Junior Member • Posts: 33
7D Serial Number

Hell again. I did do a search and didn't find anything that explained my question. At least I hope I didn't overlook a post. I bought a new 7D. The Serial Number on the box matches the serial number on the camera. Albeit the number on the box is a sticker and not printed directly on the box. When I look at the EXIF data using Aperture it states the serial number for my camera as something completely different. Should I be concerned? I have sent a email to Canon Canada but haven't heard back yet. Thank you.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,253
Re: 7D Serial Number

iMacdaddy wrote:

Hell again. I did do a search and didn't find anything that explained my question. At least I hope I didn't overlook a post. I bought a new 7D. The Serial Number on the box matches the serial number on the camera. Albeit the number on the box is a sticker and not printed directly on the box. When I look at the EXIF data using Aperture it states the serial number for my camera as something completely different. Should I be concerned? I have sent a email to Canon Canada but haven't heard back yet. Thank you.

I bought a refurbed 7D from Canon back in Nov. and it had the same problem. There is a website that you can enter your S/N and check for images posted to the web with the same #, so that if your cam is stolen, you may be able to track it down. I entered my S/N and found a lot of images posted by someone in Canada (I live in Texas, USA). I sent my cam in to Canon service and the # on the label now agrees with the # on the EXIF. I was without my camera for about 7 days - no big deal.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

iMacdaddy wrote:

Sounds a bit strange to me - but you should wait to see what Canon says.

My 7D (which is old now) - is completely consistent as far as the serial number goes - everything matches up as you'd expect it would.

javierz0509 Regular Member • Posts: 144

i got a 2 week old 7d and i dont have the serial number on the EXIF ??

anengineerguy
anengineerguy Regular Member • Posts: 190

I hope you will post the response from Canon when it is given. I find my own 7D, received 11/2011, has a different s/n on EXIF and the bottom body label. Mine is a refurbished body, but looks new. The box is gone, but I think it was blank regarding s/n information.
--
http://RonBlackTravels.com

javierz0509 Regular Member • Posts: 144

anengineerguy wrote:

I hope you will post the response from Canon when it is given. I find my own 7D, received 11/2011, has a different s/n on EXIF and the bottom body label. Mine is a refurbished body, but looks new. The box is gone, but I think it was blank regarding s/n information.
--
http://RonBlackTravels.com

on my 2 week old 7d there is no serial number on the EXIF both serial number on the box and the camera matches.

OP iMacdaddy Junior Member • Posts: 33

I am sorry that my hello wasn't hello in my original post. I wrote it early before heading to work. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I haven't heard back from Canon yet. I did buy it new? from Future Shop. They are a big box store and I would have thought things would have been ok. I will let you know what Canon says. Sorry again about the misspelled hello.

corkpix Forum Member • Posts: 85

iMacdaddy wrote:

The Serial Number on the box matches the serial number on the camera. Albeit the number on the box is a sticker and not printed directly on the box. When I look at the EXIF data using Aperture it states the serial number for my camera as something completely different. Should I be concerned? I have sent a email to Canon Canada but haven't heard back yet. Thank you.

This is normal. The number recorded in the Exif is converted into a hexadecimal format. You can convert it back into the same format as the number on the body using the Canon DPP software.

In short: there is nothing to be concerned about.

corkpix wrote:

This is normal. The number recorded in the Exif is converted into a hexadecimal format. You can convert it back into the same format as the number on the body using the Canon DPP software.

In short: there is nothing to be concerned about.

So it's just Aperture that's the problems then I guess. Thanks for the info.

Lightroom manages to correctly display the S/N, as does EXIFTool and probably every other EXIF viewer I've used. That's pretty garbage of Aperture to not manage it!

corkpix Forum Member • Posts: 85

schmegg wrote:

Aperture probably reports the correct info, it just doesn't to the HEX to decimal conversion.

The default image browser (Eye of Gnome) on this PC behaves the same way. The serial number of my 50D is shown as:
4F4D-59004 This is not the same as the number on the bottom of the camera.

The first four digits are the four most significant HEX digits of a 32 bit binary number. The remaining digits are already in decimal format.

Converting this to decimal gives:
0x4F4d0000 = 1330446336

Adding the second part gives a total of:
1330446336+59004 = 1330505340

This matches the serial number on the bottom of the body.

corkpix wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Aperture probably reports the correct info, it just doesn't to the HEX to decimal conversion.

Well - that's a poor excuse if you ask me.

The serial number is, of course, stored in binary in the camera. So, it requires conversion from base2 to something else - why convert to base16 when it means very little to most people? It's just laziness by the software engineers, loose software requirements specifications or poor testing and quality control.

It's just common sense to convert the data to decimal so it can be used by non-programmers (like you and I aren't)

Nope - it's a rubbish implementation.

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,253

schmegg wrote:

corkpix wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Well - that's a poor excuse if you ask me.

The serial number is, of course, stored in binary in the camera. So, it requires conversion from base2 to something else - why convert to base16 when it means very little to most people? It's just laziness by the software engineers, loose software requirements specifications or poor testing and quality control.

It's just common sense to convert the data to decimal so it can be used by non-programmers (like you and I aren't)

Nope - it's a rubbish implementation.

Mine was different from the bottom plate in DPP and EXIF Tool Gui. Not just a hex conversion problem - the S/N on the bottom plate just didn't match the EXIF data, but it does now!

This is not a big deal that you need to "wait to see what Canon says". Just go to Canon's website for the 7D, fill out a service request, and send it in! Canon does the work for free and in seven days you get your camera back with matching S/Ns!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
anengineerguy
anengineerguy Regular Member • Posts: 190

I've been using Breeze Browser Pro Ver 1.4.2 to see EXIF data on my images, and note the wrong serial number shown there. Using Irfanview, the serial number is shown correctly. It appears that the EXIF translations for camera serial numbers are garbled in some viewers. Probably not the fault of Canon, as the DPP Ver 3.3.1.0 shows the correct serial number. Blame: viewer software!

-- hide signature --
OP iMacdaddy Junior Member • Posts: 33

Just a bit of a update. Canon asked for a sample picture. They said using the Canon Software supplied with the camera the serial numbers match. I used Aperture, exiftool and exiffinder. But I didn't use the canon software. Not very smart on my part. So looks like I whined about nothing. Sounds like something I would do. Thanks for all the help. Now to pick out a new lens. The 70-200mm L non IS is on sale for $679.99 CND. Sounds good for a budget bird lens?

iMacdaddy wrote:

Just a bit of a update. Canon asked for a sample picture. They said using the Canon Software supplied with the camera the serial numbers match. I used Aperture, exiftool and exiffinder. But I didn't use the canon software. Not very smart on my part. So looks like I whined about nothing. Sounds like something I would do. Thanks for all the help. Now to pick out a new lens. The 70-200mm L non IS is on sale for $679.99 CND. Sounds good for a budget bird lens?

Good to hear the SN is all sorted

Re the 70-200 - great lens but possibly a bit short for birding. Add a TC or consider the 100-400 would be my advice.

There are other options (as always!) too, of course.

Boardhead Senior Member • Posts: 1,122

Are you saying that exiftool reported an incorrect serial number for your camera? If so, please send me a sample image an I'll look into it. My email is phil at owl.phy.queensu.ca

I have some sample 7D images, and for these DPP 3.9.2 reports the same serial number as ExifTool 8.84.

• Phil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads