I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

Any other links to that?

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 220 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people too

There is no wireless flash support even with external flashes listed in the table and there is no mention of it in the rest of the manual.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

snake_b wrote:

Any other links to that?

Sorry, I'm just reusing a link posted in another thread. Does it not work for you?

Thank you
Russell

snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

Nope. I'm guessing that site is blocked in germany.

Russell Evans wrote:

snake_b wrote:

Any other links to that?

Sorry, I'm just reusing a link posted in another thread. Does it not work for you?

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 81 in the K-01 manual will make people happy

The *2 note explains the hidden TAv mode on the camera.

Thank you
Russell

KL Matt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,961
Re: Page 220 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people too

Pentax says to David Hobby: "You can kiss my Asahi!"

Russell Evans wrote:

There is no wireless flash support even with external flashes listed in the table and there is no mention of it in the rest of the manual.

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 84 in the K-01 manual makes me unhappy

EV compensation is not available in manual mode. Most of my use of P-TTL flash is done in M mode on the K20D and K-5. These cameras allow for EV compensation in M mode. Since the aperture, ISO, and shutter settings are locked down, setting EV compensation is simply swinging the meter one way or the other. This only effects the P-TTL flash output, so it gives me a very convenient way to adjust the output without have to touch the flash. The flash units I have, Pentax 360, Metz 48, and Sigma 530 Super, have interfaces I would rather not have to use in active shooting, so this has been very useful to me.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: Page 220 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people too

KL Matt wrote:

Pentax says to David Hobby: "You can kiss my Asahi!"

Best hope is the eventual production of those P-TTL wireless triggers posted the other day.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=40799541

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
I can't find anything for focus trapping.

That's a little disappointing, but I guess the focus peaking will be enough of a trade off.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 101 in the K-01 manual is disappointing

The memo at the bottom of the page says it takes 2 seconds for SR to kick in. Someone is going to have to test this to see what it means. If SR is unavailable but the sensor is locked so that you can still get a decent photo, that's one thing. If you have to wait 2 seconds for SR to settle to be able to take a photo, that's a completely different thing.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 105 in the K-01 manual is cool

The memo on that page mentions the O-RC1 remote has a focus button that works with the K-01 so that you can activate the AF.

The note on the Pentax F remote being good for 30,000 activations is nice, but the advice to send in the remote to replace the battery is kind of a too bad kind of thing. I can understand why they say this for the target market, but it is kind of sad since changing the battery in the Remote F isn't that big a deal.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

Page 181 says that the camera stays in play mode with a HDMI monitor attached. This rules out any use of a field monitor for those that need an articulating screen, or probably a bigger market, people that would use this camera to shoot video.

Thank you
Russell

shield20 Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: Page 101 in the K-01 manual is disappointing

I've read posts about the SR indicator fading in and out with the K-5 as you shift camera postions - posters say it takes about 2secs to re-appear. Seems like the K-01 is the same?

I have taken pictures where I forgot about SR ...though SR was on, EXIF of a photo I took says it wasn't active. Apparently you can take pictures when it is not 'locked'.

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: Page 101 in the K-01 manual is disappointing

shield20 wrote:

I've read posts about the SR indicator fading in and out with the K-5 as you shift camera postions - posters say it takes about 2secs to re-appear.

SR is active as long as metering is active or as long as your finger is on the shutter at half press. It is also pretty quick to come back to active once the metering is off. So unless by "shift camera position" you mean turning off the camera and moving to another location, then I don't think this is an accurate statement.

Seems like the K-01 is the same?

I tried this with the K-5 and from turning on the camera to the hand appearing is about a two Mississippi count. The consideration between the K-5 and the K-01 will be the constant live view. I need to look at the sleep mode in the K-01 manual. I should have looked at that before.

I have taken pictures where I forgot about SR ...though SR was on, EXIF of a photo I took says it wasn't active. Apparently you can take pictures when it is not 'locked'.

You can and sometimes it doesn't matter, so you are right this probably isn't an issue. I should have slowed down and thought about this.

As a side note, assuming SR is actually in a stable position until the SR lets the sensor float to provide stabilization, it seems like in auto modes, that the settings that the camera controls, shouldn't be effected until SR is active. Say you are shooting it Av mode, the shutter speed should be at 1/f with a corresponding ISO value until SR is active and then both shutter speed and ISO should drop accordingly.

Thank you
Russell

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Page 194 in the K-01 manual - standby mode

Monitor brightness goes dim is stated. So does that mean off or just the back lighting is turned off? Page 185 says stand-by will be entered with 10 seconds of inactivity.

Thank you
Russell

shield20 Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: Page 101 in the K-01 manual is disappointing

Russell Evans wrote:

The memo at the bottom of the page says it takes 2 seconds for SR to kick in. Someone is going to have to test this to see what it means. If SR is unavailable but the sensor is locked so that you can still get a decent photo, that's one thing. If you have to wait 2 seconds for SR to settle to be able to take a photo, that's a completely different thing.

SR is active as long as metering is active or as long as your finger is on the shutter at half press. It is also pretty quick to come back to active once the metering is off. So unless by "shift camera position" you mean turning off the camera and moving to another location, then I don't think this is an accurate statement.

Here is what I meant (I read):

"Try this: turn on SR and frame a picture by touching the shutter button half way until the SR icon comes on in the VF. Now lift the finger off the shutter. Move the camera suddenly to a new position, perhaps 10 degrees left or right, You'll see the SR hand icon fade out in the VF and then come back only after a 2 second period. If you have not used the thumb rule shutter speed for hand motion, but are relying on SR - during htat 2 second period - you will get fuzzy pics."

SR not settled (2sec), still take pictures.

OP Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: Page 101 in the K-01 manual is disappointing

shield20 wrote:

Here is what I meant (I read):

"Try this: turn on SR and frame a picture by touching the shutter button half way until the SR icon comes on in the VF. Now lift the finger off the shutter. Move the camera suddenly to a new position, perhaps 10 degrees left or right, You'll see the SR hand icon fade out in the VF and then come back only after a 2 second period.

Yes SR hand goes off, but the return to on doesn't seem like 2 seconds. I don't think I hit this in practice because none of my previous cameras let SR continue with the metering, so if I'm moving the camera for use, my finger is on the shutter with it half pressed out of habit. On the older cameras, the AF button was set to cancel AF, so if the focus locked, I would hit it to unlock focus without having to release the shutter button.

This is really good to know and I don't think I've seen this posted, so it is new to me. When I asked about SR when the K-7 came out, the only thing mentioned was SR staying on for as long a metering. I don't remember anyone posting about SR going off if the camera noticed movement and I didn't even think to go thoroughly through things to verify the behavior once I owned the k-5. I skipped the K-7 and the K-5 is still pretty new to me. I'm slowly adjusting to it, but I think I need to pay more attention.

I don't remember it ever being mentioned in any of the threads about the advantages of Sigma's OS over SR either, but again when I asked, the answer was OS stayed active as long as the metering, and as I don't own any Sigma OS lenses, I don't really know what their behavior is either.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to get me to understand this.

Thank you
Russell

noser Contributing Member • Posts: 759
Re: I think page 181 in the K-01 manual is going to disappoint a lot of people

That pretty much kills it for me; I was hoping to use the K-01 as a base of a dedicated video rig with an external monitor/loupe, as I read it also has full manual video controls (ie not k-5 hack-style)

Yet another petition for a firmware change?

Kp0c Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Page 84 in the K-01 manual makes me unhappy

Russell Evans wrote:

EV compensation is not available in manual mode. Most of my use of P-TTL flash is done in M mode on the K20D and K-5. These cameras allow for EV compensation in M mode. Since the aperture, ISO, and shutter settings are locked down, setting EV compensation is simply swinging the meter one way or the other. This only effects the P-TTL flash output, so it gives me a very convenient way to adjust the output without have to touch the flash. The flash units I have, Pentax 360, Metz 48, and Sigma 530 Super, have interfaces I would rather not have to use in active shooting, so this has been very useful to me.

Thank you
Russell

I did not know that the K-5 and the K-20D offered EV compensation in M mode. Would a K-x allow for that too?

 Kp0c's gear list:Kp0c's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads