4 more years of banding posts :(

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
Lordsegan Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

damn it

papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,997
Amen...

GiovanniB wrote:

In landscape photography, clean shadows with the ability to lift them up in post to reveal details (as opposed to banding/noise) makes up for much of the difference between a good and a less useful camera. In that sense, the K-5, D7000 etc. are a lot better than any of the 5D (though with the original 12.8 MP still being better than the Mk. II and, as it seems, the Mk. III).

-- hide signature --
 papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
Teosax Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

wow this is sad indeed
i was hopeful at least this issue being solved...

f$%^&CK

anyway
anyone knows if there is a way to send feedback messages to canon?

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Teosax wrote:

wow this is sad indeed

f$%^&CK

anyway

Ineffective, but feels good:

Post on this forum about it
Find someone at Canon and write them

Effective (in the aggregate), but feels bad:

Don't buy their products

Effective, feels good, requires you to be excessively wealthy:

become a major camera retailer and talk to your sales rep
become a major shareholder

Beyond that I doubt there's much you can do.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359

jayrandomer wrote:

Teosax wrote:

wow this is sad indeed

f$%^&CK

anyway

Ineffective, but feels good:

Post on this forum about it
Find someone at Canon and write them

Effective (in the aggregate), but feels bad:

Don't buy their products

Effective, feels good, requires you to be excessively wealthy:

become a major camera retailer and talk to your sales rep
become a major shareholder

Beyond that I doubt there's much you can do.

Show up to Canon events and point out the issue to teh reps directly.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Ayrshirephotographer Regular Member • Posts: 360
Re: How about better technique. Solved. NT

John Sheehy wrote:

MichaelSpotts wrote:

An excellent tool in the hands of either a novice or expert is better than an adequate tool in the hands of the same.

Banding in shadow areas can be reduced with good technique but not eliminated if you want a high dynamic range of light in your shot, with extreme darks and brights. Don't make excuses for the poor banding. Canon is just continuing on the tradition.

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

Tinu_ch Contributing Member • Posts: 660

Teosax wrote:

As long as we keep buying their stuff they have no reason to listen to our whining and shouting. There is only one message loud enough to get through: flooding the used market with our Canon gear and investing in other camera systems.

But there is no garantee the impact might be felt by Canon. I guess less than 10% of 5DII owners have a problem with banding; the great majority hasn't even heard about it.

Tinu

-- hide signature --

If the text above reads like real English, it must be a quotation
Some of my pictures: http://www.pbase.com/tinu

Tinu_ch's gear list:Tinu_ch's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
tlinn
tlinn Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Tinu_ch wrote:

I guess less than 10% of 5DII owners have a problem with banding; the great majority hasn't even heard about it.

Are you saying that the banding issue only occurs in 10% of 5D2's or that only 10% of users have noticed it?

tlinn's gear list:tlinn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 16mm F2 +10 more
David Hull

tlinn wrote:

Tinu_ch wrote:

I guess less than 10% of 5DII owners have a problem with banding; the great majority hasn't even heard about it.

Are you saying that the banding issue only occurs in 10% of 5D2's or that only 10% of users have noticed it?

It is there in all of the 5DII's as far as I know but not everyone lifts their shadows as aggressively. I hang out with a shooting group that meets once a month, and there are about 8 people there with 5DII's, they all love them and the subject of banding never comes up. It was not until I started poking around that I found it after reading posts here.

Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Tinu_ch Contributing Member • Posts: 660

tlinn wrote:

Tinu_ch wrote:

What I meant: Banding is present in all 5DIIs, but it does not show in normal use. Only the minority of owners spending a lot of time in forums know about it. And only a part of them uses the cam in ways for which banding becomes a real issue.

Even if all of them had the means to switch systems, Canon might not notice it financially.

Tinu

-- hide signature --

If the text above reads like real English, it must be a quotation
Some of my pictures: http://www.pbase.com/tinu

Tinu_ch's gear list:Tinu_ch's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,732

In my view, the whole "maybe you have a bad copy with banding" meme is a matter of trying to find a polite explanation for why some seem to find noise banding to be a Terrible Awful Scourge Of The Earth And The Ultimate Bane Of All Photography while others say, yes you can find a bit in a very small percentage of images if you push shadows a lot and go looking for it at 100% but it won't ever show up in a print .

I'm convinced that all 5D2s behave essentially the same when it comes to this issue, but that the primary difference is how the issue is viewed by the person talking about it.

I'd guess that far fewer than 10% of 5D2 owners notice this, much less regard it as a problem. The number who complain about a thing is always greater than the number who post when something works the way it is expected to work. Here you have perhaps a dozen or so hard-core noise banding folks who simply can't let this one go... out of thousands of people who no doubt read and occasionally post on this forum.

Dan

tlinn wrote:

Tinu_ch wrote:

David Hull
Can someone post teh link to the RAW file that generated this?

Now that I have a RAW conversion setup on line for 5DIII files, I would like to fiddle with this one myself. I found this the other day but didn't grab it at the time since I couldn't do anything with it.

Thanks,

Dave
--
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26158506@N07/

Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,919
Re: Can someone post teh link to the RAW file that generated this?
shaunly Contributing Member • Posts: 542

David Hull wrote:

Now that I have a RAW conversion setup on line for 5DIII files, I would like to fiddle with this one myself. I found this the other day but didn't grab it at the time since I couldn't do anything with it.

Thanks,

Dave
--
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26158506@N07/

hope this help

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiGALLERY.HTM

Here's a quick 5min PP from one of IR raw sample

f/7.1 ISO 100

100% crop

abracadabenhotmailfr Contributing Member • Posts: 762

Seing the original, it's a pretty heavy raise of the shadows.

Even though they didn't completely remove the issue, i still find it better than the 5d2.

Though, I think it's better to do that incamera.......

abracadabenhotmailfr wrote:

Seing the original, it's a pretty heavy raise of the shadows.

Even though they didn't completely remove the issue, i still find it better than the 5d2.

Though, I think it's better to do that incamera.......

Fill light was set at 80. While I agree that this is very high, much more than what I prefer, but given the sample shot to work with, it had to be done to get the look i wanted.

David Hull
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,292
shadows lifted majorly

That photo looks like the shadows were majorly lifted. Normally process/develop a photo and you won't see anything like this! Just because Adobe has adjustment sliders, doesn't mean that they are all appropriate to use with large values with every photo!

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,292

shaunly wrote:

Here's a quick 5min PP from one of IR raw sample

Why are you brightening dark shadows caused by lack of light from a flash photo?!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads