4 more years of banding posts :(

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
EOSHQ
EOSHQ Junior Member • Posts: 33
4 more years of banding posts :(

Sadly... fill light 100

Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 12,075
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

Gives everyone something to do.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
EOSHQ
EOSHQ OP Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

This is a worst case scenario. I have never wanted to add fill light of 100, but obviously there are people who would like to do that.

rwbaron Veteran Member • Posts: 9,749
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

I'd say it gives a few people something to do. Those obsessed with the idea of 4 stop shadow lifts in post.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not happy that early indications are the 5D3 still has a low ISO banding issue but only from the standpoint of "what has Canon been doing for the last 3 years" and not from a "oh no, this limits what I can do with the camera" concern.

Bob

Zee Char wrote:

Gives everyone something to do.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +11 more
Jakub Kubica Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

It's not only about shadow lifting.

Those nasty lines are indication of wrong column AD calibration which will show up in any heavy postprocessing, not only shadow lifting. El cheapo electronics or wrongly implemented CMOS readout.

CANON - shame on you again

rwbaron wrote:

I'd say it gives a few people something to do. Those obsessed with the idea of 4 stop shadow lifts in post.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not happy that early indications are the 5D3 still has a low ISO banding issue but only from the standpoint of "what has Canon been doing for the last 3 years" and not from a "oh no, this limits what I can do with the camera" concern.

Bob

Zee Char wrote:

Gives everyone something to do.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

-- hide signature --
 Jakub Kubica's gear list:Jakub Kubica's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +2 more
MichaelSpotts Regular Member • Posts: 184
How about better technique. Solved. NT
-- hide signature --

An adequate tool in the hand of an expert is better than an excellent one in the hand of a novice. Expertise is the child of experience and comes of age with time.

Happy to share what I know. I learned a lot of it here.

Travel Photoblog: http://www.walksomewhere.com/
Creative writing and weekly art: http://www.michaelspotts.com

bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
This image looks better....

...than the sample images from Canon site.

GiovanniB Contributing Member • Posts: 983
How about switching brand. Solved. +T

In landscape photography, clean shadows with the ability to lift them up in post to reveal details (as opposed to banding/noise) makes up for much of the difference between a good and a less useful camera. In that sense, the K-5, D7000 etc. are a lot better than any of the 5D (though with the original 12.8 MP still being better than the Mk. II and, as it seems, the Mk. III).

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,049
Re: How about better technique. Solved. NT

MichaelSpotts wrote:

-- hide signature --

An adequate tool in the hand of an expert is better than an excellent one in the hand of a novice. Expertise is the child of experience and comes of age with time.

An excellent tool in the hands of either a novice or expert is better than an adequate tool in the hands of the same.

-- hide signature --

John

Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,180
+1 [nt]
-- hide signature --
Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,180
Hear hear!

The uncomfortable (to some) fact is that the competition does this better.

And if this was no issue at all, why did Canon lose horizontal patterning? Coincidence? I think not.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803
shhh...

Jakub Kubica wrote:

It's not only about shadow lifting.

Those nasty lines are indication of wrong column AD calibration which will show up in any heavy postprocessing, not only shadow lifting. El cheapo electronics or wrongly implemented CMOS readout.

CANON - shame on you again

Ayrshirephotographer Regular Member • Posts: 360
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

EOSHQ wrote:

Sadly... fill light 100

Haha aw god that is terrible for ISO 100. Nice banding. Enjoy your canon's!
--
"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

Vibrio Veteran Member • Posts: 4,004
Re: How about better technique. Solved. NT

Tool is the right word lol

MichaelSpotts wrote:

-- hide signature --

An adequate tool in the hand of an expert is better than an excellent one in the hand of a novice. Expertise is the child of experience and comes of age with time.

Happy to share what I know. I learned a lot of it here.

Travel Photoblog: http://www.walksomewhere.com/
Creative writing and weekly art: http://www.michaelspotts.com

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
Is that a Fuji in the back? nt
-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

 Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,565
I Still Wait and See

Until serial production cameras in the market.
I will do the test myself by bringing my memory card to a local store.

Until then I just Wait and See.

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,010
What's really disgusting...

is that Canon has chosen that butt-ugly gray color for the 600EX. What on earth were they thinking! I sure hope it is available in black.
--
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26158506@N07/

 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: 4 more years of banding posts :(

it's not some freakish obsession all you need is a scene with more than 12 stops DR, they are not hard to find, sometimes you can get around it with multi-exposures but sometimes not

rwbaron wrote:

I'd say it gives a few people something to do. Those obsessed with the idea of 4 stop shadow lifts in post.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not happy that early indications are the 5D3 still has a low ISO banding issue but only from the standpoint of "what has Canon been doing for the last 3 years" and not from a "oh no, this limits what I can do with the camera" concern.

Bob

Zee Char wrote:

Gives everyone something to do.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

-- hide signature --
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: shhh...

Horshack wrote:

Jakub Kubica wrote:

It's not only about shadow lifting.

Those nasty lines are indication of wrong column AD calibration which will show up in any heavy postprocessing, not only shadow lifting. El cheapo electronics or wrongly implemented CMOS readout.

CANON - shame on you again

yeah that is the 7D which also had what appeared to be vertical gain banding not just offset banding

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
other than all the times when better technique is not possible

and even when possible, who wouldn't want to save all the time anyway?

MichaelSpotts wrote:

-- hide signature --

An adequate tool in the hand of an expert is better than an excellent one in the hand of a novice. Expertise is the child of experience and comes of age with time.

Happy to share what I know. I learned a lot of it here.

Travel Photoblog: http://www.walksomewhere.com/
Creative writing and weekly art: http://www.michaelspotts.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads