Heart Attack... Thought fw1.03 bricked my K-x!

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
SRT201
SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
Heart Attack... Thought fw1.03 bricked my K-x!

Noticed that Pentax had released new firmware for the K-x, among other bodies. Apparently there was a problem with the way the cameras were handling SDXC cards. Not that I have one, but I thought hey maybe I'll get one some time.

So... I put the new firmware on an SD card, loaded up a set of new lithium batteries and waited about a minute and a half for the K-x to report COMPLETE. It did so without issue. I shut it down and restarted it. No problem. Firmware 1.03 installed!

So everything's great right?

Except... it says I have no SD card installed. I tried my Sandisk 4G Ultra II. nothing. Tried my Centon 16G. nothing. I simply won't see ANY SD CARDS INSTALLED.

At this point I am really put out with myself for even updating at all and mulling over my speech for the Pentax service department.

Then I figured hey... why not do a reset from the menu.

Sure enough... that put everything right. It recognized every card after that.

This may be similar for the K-5, K-r, etc. I don't know.

But before you go sending in your camera body because you can't use SD cards, do the reset.

Pulse returning to normal.

-- hide signature --

Life is NOT measured by the "moments that take your breath away" anymore than books are measured by the number of exclamation marks.

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-r Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SRT201
OP SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
Here's the link to the new firmware

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

I should note, the README does NOT suggest a reset.

Also when the firmware update is complete, the red SD access LED will blink continuously. This is not mentioned in the readme file either. You might think it was an error were it not for the COMPLETE text on the LCD. While I was trying to get an SD card to read I wondered if that had been some kind of subtle error.

It looks like the K-5, K-7, K-r and K-x and even the 645D got the update. They must have really messed up the SDXC driver in the code.

-- hide signature --

Life is NOT measured by the "moments that take your breath away" anymore than books are measured by the number of exclamation marks.

GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,154
Re: Here's the link to the new firmware

Thanks for posting. Good info.
--
I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads