Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise test

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions
zzapamiga Regular Member • Posts: 497
Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise test

I couldn't see if this has already been posted but nikonrumors has an excellent Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise comparison.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/05/another-nikon-d700-vs-nikon-d800-high-iso-comparison.aspx/#more-35120

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
imarollingstone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,641
Re: Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise test

Pretty impressive. That seems to be a significant improvement. Let noise and more detail in the D800 shots.
--
Shawn

imarollingstone's gear list:imarollingstone's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot Pro90 IS Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +25 more
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
Im impressed

D800 is a clear winner.

OP zzapamiga Regular Member • Posts: 497

imarollingstone wrote:

Pretty impressive. That seems to be a significant improvement. Let noise and more detail in the D800 shots.
--
Shawn

I agree. It is obvious the D800 produces less noise and has significantly more detail than the D700. Very impressive.

tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 768

I've shot tons of images on my D700 at an ISO of 6400, and they look way better than the example shown in this post. I import the images into Aperture and perform no additional noise reduction other than the Aperture Raw conversion default.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the D800 outperform the D700 on noise given that they D700 came out four years ago, but I'm not convinced the difference is as great as these photos might lead you to believe.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +5 more
tomboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

D800 is a stop better than D700 ..very impress..

Sharper images and less noise than d700

tomboy's gear list:tomboy's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7S Sony Alpha a7 II
DaDane Regular Member • Posts: 297

That looks very good

Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,705

tomboy wrote:

At least!

tomnorth wrote:

I've shot tons of images on my D700 at an ISO of 6400, and they look way better than the example shown in this post. I import the images into Aperture and perform no additional noise reduction other than the Aperture Raw conversion default.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the D800 outperform the D700 on noise given that they D700 came out four years ago, but I'm not convinced the difference is as great as these photos might lead you to believe.

I think the D3/D700 does better with mid-to-highlight tones at high ISOs. That's what made this camera such a fine sports shooter. The typically-even lighting conditions made for very nice images, even at ISO6400. The response drops off heavily in the low tones however. Judging from the sample images, this is the case.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,858
We told you so ... Re: Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise test

Just like some here have been saying ... The D800 may well have the best ISO800-3200 or any camera, at same printing sizes, due to the extra detail, which is better preserved.

I don't know what the tester did, but where is the detail even at 1600 from D700. We all knew it has a strong AA filter, but this is a bit too much, maybe some poor shooting technique.

tomboy wrote:

Sharper images and less noise than d700

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
teodorian2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,870

Luke Kaven wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

I think the D3/D700 does better with mid-to-highlight tones at high ISOs. That's what made this camera such a fine sports shooter. The typically-even lighting conditions made for very nice images, even at ISO6400. The response drops off heavily in the low tones however. Judging from the sample images, this is the case.

Could you please point out theese advantages in favor of the D700 at ISO 25600?

rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
LoL

Good humor

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,112

Luke Kaven wrote:

Yes, but don't forget that Marianne's curves (assuming they hold up) indicate that even in the mid-to-highlight range, the D800 will still be better than the D3/D700 when equalized for output size. Just not as significantly as in the shadows.

-- hide signature --
Deleted17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
I like this comparison...

Actual low light shot.

teodorian2 wrote:

Luke Kaven wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

I was responding to tomnorth, who suggested that his experience with the D700 was better - better than the D700 sample shown - at ISO6400. I said yes, the D700 midtone to highlight response is a bit better than its shadow response, and the sample was shadow heavy.

In no sense does the D700 come anywhere near the D800 samples.

knickerhawk wrote:

Luke Kaven wrote:

Yes, but don't forget that Marianne's curves (assuming they hold up) indicate that even in the mid-to-highlight range, the D800 will still be better than the D3/D700 when equalized for output size. Just not as significantly as in the shadows.

Miles better.

I was comparing D700 to D700. The D800 is clearly a new high mark in performance.

Mikael Risedal
Mikael Risedal Veteran Member • Posts: 4,620

yes please, point it out so I can see it also

det ser för jävla bra ut .

teodorian2 wrote:

Luke Kaven wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

See my reply to teodorian. I think I didn't make it entirely clear that I was comparing D700 against D700, mid-high against shadow response.

ARTASHES
ARTASHES Regular Member • Posts: 167

D800 looks a step better than D700 above 6400 (12800 and 25600) and that's exactly what D3s do in DXO's SNR graphs

marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: We told you so ... Re: Nikon D700 vs. D800 noise test

rhlpetrus wrote:

I don't know what the tester did, but where is the detail even at 1600 from D700. We all knew it has a strong AA filter, but this is a bit too much, maybe some poor shooting technique.

Perhaps the perceived lack of detail, more than some may have experienced is because these are crops? Poor technique/handholding?

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads