Any comparison data between X10 and Canon S90?

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions
Carlodpr Forum Member • Posts: 79
Any comparison data between X10 and Canon S90?

I have a Canon S90 and I like the camera a lot. I am now however looking for a different one, possibly. I was looking at the Fuji X10 or the Olympus XZ-1 and kind of liked both actually. The Olympus seems very similar to the S90 however, but obviously I am missing the hands on data. But it seems that the Fuji can take awesome pics and if anyone has both, can he give the main difference between the two for good and bad? (A part the obvious ones like size and manual zoom...)

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edu T Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: Any comparison data between X10 and Canon S90?

While you wait for someone who has both, this standardized sample shots comparison can be a good starting point: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM . Also, lots of comparative testimonial bits can be gathered from this search inside this very forum, http://search.dpreview.com/index.php?q=s90+x10&page=0&scope=Forums&forumid=1012&age=All&field=All&results=Default&sort=Date&view=Default .

edu T's gear list:edu T's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,236

I have onwed the s90.....great camera, it's main drawback being that the lens is not particularly bright on the long end. In contrast, the XZ-1 has a fantastic bright lens and a higher resolution LCD. WHat I do not like about the XZ-1 (which I now own) is the NR, which cannot be controlled (reduced) and as a result, I shoot only RAW. The XZ-1 is a little bit bigger than the s90 but not a problem for me as a 24/7 camera in my backpack.

The x10? IMO, it is defective and should not be considered. If you buy one, make sure you get it at a serious discount (the price keeps dropping) and

1) you don't tend to shoot under conditions where you will get orbs.

2) you don't mind tossing the occasional shot that cannot be captured again because an orb (or two) has ruined it.

I'd go with an XZ-1 or the new Canon G12 replacement.....maybe even consider a Panny LX5 (has been seriously discounted) or a Panny GF3 (the body can be had for 200-240) and add to it the new Panny pancake zoom (but make sure you get a good copy)

Richard

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 +9 more
kazkioken Contributing Member • Posts: 546

My S90 is in a box, but I have the S95/100 and the X10. Lately the only reason I would carry the smaller Canon is because I need something that will fit into a pocket and be out of the way. Like, at a club or something. Mostly the point and shoot duties go to the X10 and stuff beyond that I use other cameras for.

Noise levels are better on the X10 just from the sensor being larger, and I find most of the differences to be in color (jpeg) and in low light, with the X10 usually getting me better pictures. Hardware wise, besides the obvious stuff the handling on the X10 is leagues better just from being larger and with more control on the outside.

Having said all that, in bright daylight I wouldn't mind using either one (or even my iPhone 4S), though the raw support is better on the Canon. I would hold tight and see what becomes of this orb situation, but assuming something good will come of it (and that is a big assumption) then I think you'd be very happy with the X10. Lastly as you know there are all sorts of other cameras for the same money, including M4/3 and APS-C sensor cameras - but, pros and cons with all of them.

Bananasplit Regular Member • Posts: 300

I don't know for the S90, but for the S95 you can see:

http://www.jpstevenson.co.uk/s95_vs_x10/

I do not find the whole discussion, but it seems that the conclusion was that: the X10 has a more shallow dof (more control); For some pictures X10 seems a little sharper, but on other pictures it seems to be the opposite. On the other hand, the S95 has much better colors (the skies on a calibrated screen appear yellowish on those X10 pics). In addition you have that the X10 makes orbs.

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Bananasplit wrote:

I do not find the whole discussion, but it seems that the conclusion was that: the X10 has a more shallow dof (more control); For some pictures X10 seems a little sharper, but on other pictures it seems to be the opposite. On the other hand, the S95 has much better colors (the skies on a calibrated screen appear yellowish on those X10 pics). In addition you have that the X10 makes orbs.

Strange yellow cast on some of the Fuji images I see them too.
Quite strong really surprising

DDWD10
DDWD10 Contributing Member • Posts: 703

I upgraded from an S90 to an X10.

Advantages of X10:
• Cleaner high ISO
• Better DR with EXR
• Much snappier AF
• Build, feel, controls
• Lens speed at tele
• Battery life

Advantages of S90:
• Compact size
• More effective IS
• More accurate AF
• No orbs!

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
OP Carlodpr Forum Member • Posts: 79

Thank you very much for the data and the links, very helpful. guess I need to study up a little more and see how these points apply to my normal use. Right now I am just taking my camera and go, shooting anything anywhere and some times have no light or tripod, so no real preparation. The portability of the Canon is great and the photos nice, I would love to improve on that with another camera.

If one were to shoot without preparing the shot, meaning grab the camera and go and then find something to shoot, how would that go? I mean no lighting and no tripod for example, any light condition, any idea of how they could compare in terms of versatility?

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,930
Big difference in high ISO sensitivity

If you campare the two on DXOMark you will see that the Canon's measured ISO is 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop less than the x10 at similar manufacturer ISO. This was also confirmed with the s100 vs x10 in this comparison.

http://www.eyalg.com/blog/2012/02/canon-powershot-s100-vs-fujifilm-finepix-x10-high-iso-comparison/

Remember to take this into account when comparing high ISO shots from review sites.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
OP Carlodpr Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Big difference in high ISO sensitivity

Wow, thank you for the link and of course it nice to have the data. I would like to have both... but I can't really afford that.

I wish I could afford a X-10 but they are still a little to high for me, so maybe if anything I will sell my S90 and get a S100...

boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Bananasplit wrote:

... On the other hand, the S95 has much better colors (the skies on a calibrated screen appear yellowish on those X10 pics).

I saw and remarked on the yellowish tint in some X10 pix here (they appeared in a DPR thread) when these first appeared. However, I have yet to see a single picture from the X10 that had this tint since. I think there was something special going on with the cam, the photog, or with the conditions. Personally, I would dismiss the yellow tint until it is verified elsewhere.

The only consistent color prob. I've seen on X10 is a tendency to blow the red channel on (fairly) rare occasions. This has had multiple examples and documentation.

Orbs are a different matter.
--
The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Bananasplit Regular Member • Posts: 300

boxerman wrote:

Bananasplit wrote:

... On the other hand, the S95 has much better colors (the skies on a calibrated screen appear yellowish on those X10 pics).

I saw and remarked on the yellowish tint in some X10 pix here (they appeared in a DPR thread) when these first appeared. However, I have yet to see a single picture from the X10 that had this tint since. I think there was something special going on with the cam, the photog, or with the conditions. Personally, I would dismiss the yellow tint until it is verified elsewhere.

I did not see many comparisons with skies. I have put the only link I know and it is easy to see the pics with the yellowish color. See for example the skies of S95_20/jpg vs fuji_x10_21.jpg, S95_32.jpg vs fuji_x10_36.jpg ...

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Re: Bananasplit's link to compare color of X10 and S95:

I think maybe we were talking at crossed purposes, below, so let me clarify. The link Banansplit cited was to a set of photos that had been discussed before on DPReview. Yes, indeed, there are X10 yellow skies in the bunch. X10_21 and X10_31 are particularly egregious examples. HOWEVER, you do not need the comparison to the S95 to see the yellow in the X10. It is plain as day. So, you can look at any skies (gray, in particular) to see if the yellow tint, per se, is an X10 property. I have not seen any such tinted photos, and I have looked. So I think that particular problem (yellow tint) is NOT an X10 property, but some random thing that happened in that situation.

I'm not making any global statement about color quality. In fact, the X10 seems more prone to red blowout than the S95.

Bananasplit wrote:

boxerman wrote:

Bananasplit wrote:

I did not see many comparisons with skies. I have put the only link I know and it is easy to see the pics with the yellowish color. See for example the skies of S95_20/jpg vs fuji_x10_21.jpg, S95_32.jpg vs fuji_x10_36.jpg ...

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,159

DDWD10 wrote:

I upgraded from an S90 to an X10.

Advantages of X10:

• Battery life

Interesting - people have posted the X10's battery life as 'terrible'.

eyalg
eyalg Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: Big difference in high ISO sensitivity

Well, if its smaller size means that the S100 will be with you,
as opposed to the X10 which might be left at home, the answer is obvious.

If you care much about those high ISO findings, you can shoot RAW
and get better noise and white balance results than those JPG's.

-eyalg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads