Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions
PerH Contributing Member • Posts: 924
XS-1 vs HS10

Comparative images. Default setting in P-mode. Enjoy
PerH

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
FujiFilm FinePix HS10 (FinePix HS11)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795
Re: XS-1 vs HS10

In the duck shots, its very apparent that the HS10 is significantly sharper. The XS1 images are more saturated and have had more exposure, though the DR is also better.

I would say the sharpness and detail of the HS10 images is a big benefit though, I prefer it to the XS1.
--
S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
grumpyolderman Senior Member • Posts: 1,085

Thanks a lo for this nice comparison. The cams differ in their exposure level: Xs-1 thus seems to have higher DR. I like the colours of the XS-1 better, but not something one might not get with a tiny bit of PP, so based on IQ, I would see no reason to upgrade from the HS10 to the XS-1.....at least outdoors, indoors the story might be different! good shoots! They are very good for comparisons!

JL

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,532

It is an interesting comparison even thought the exposures are slightly different in some cases.

At wide to mid angle the XS1 is considerably sharper, you can see that in the foliage. How ever once we get to full telezoom the XS1 loses it advantage here and the HS10 appears sharper although I find both unacceptable. I saw no difference in the cat and if anything the HS10 duck is better.

The XS1 would suit landscape people better and then take either for full telezoom. If one has a HS10 I can't see the need to buy a XS1, just get a good compact that can do wide angle better than the XS1.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

Here's what I see:

Across all images, nicer colors and saturation from XS1. The little house is hardest to make a decent judgment on because of exposure difference.

The first picture is definitively better resolved, across the board, in the XS1. Look at the fence, the reeds close to the water, or the shingles on the red roofs on the left; look at the pipe (or whatever) in the center; look at the branches of the tree on the far right.

Better DR for the image in the XS1. I'd want some detail in the shadow, and there's more in the XS1.

Similar resolution advantage for the XS1 in the second picture, thought not so definitive/clear. But, look at the greenest grass on the far right. HS10 is just muddled. Also trees in the distance.

Sadly, it looks like the HS10 wins resolution for the cat. Looking at whiskers and at grass behind. It'd be nice if you can offer a reason for this, but it does not look like focus issue. Color, on the other hand, goes handily to the XS1. I'm beginning to believe that Fuji did not optimize for the long end of the lens, unlike some cams, possibly HS10 but almost certainly Canon SX30 & 40.

I don't have much to say about differences in the duck and bird & antenna. I'm not sure there is much there to see.

I am quite cognizant that we're not getting ISO test here. I am really quite sure the XS1 would win handily, from other pix, and from my experience with HS10. With HS10, I shot 400 with trepidation and 800 only in an emergency. Pretty sad.

Bottom line (from pix here, and assuming my ISO "conjecture" is correct), in almost every respect XS1 wins, except resolution near max zoom. Unfortunately, that is pretty central to what some of us are looking for in a bridge.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Altan Ozcandarli Regular Member • Posts: 273

I have had the HS10, your samples are representative. XS-1 seems like a flop then.

Altan Ozcandarli's gear list:Altan Ozcandarli's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
painterdude
painterdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,857

interesting..and the HS10 actually wins in some shots and is not plagued with orbish thingys or lens sag or blue fog spots ..Yup it lacks in other departments ..BUT is the difference worth the coin??
g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,724

painterdude wrote:

interesting..and the HS10 actually wins in some shots and is not plagued with orbish thingys or lens sag or blue fog spots ..Yup it lacks in other departments ..BUT is the difference worth the coin??
g

For what I see here,I agree 100% with you mate... it might NOT be worthy for someone who already own the HS10/HS20, and how much does the HS10 cost now?! a fraction of what ids the XS-1right now.I'm even watching some used ones, and if the price keep on falling...
--
Marco
SONY SLT A55
NIKON P 6000
CANON A80
Photography it's all about...Art & Science
http://marcoimages.blogspot.com/

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +5 more
skimble
skimble Veteran Member • Posts: 6,189

I sold mine (HS10) for $250 here you go

If I want another super zoom it has to be better than the XS1 or I rather wait and buy the HS30 when it has come down in price

I rather buy another X10 if I want to shoot more landscape, at least that way I don't have to carry a heavy camera around and get excellent IQ with enough zoom.

Not sure what Fuji thought with the XS1, the intend was good but the execution makes you think twice to buy one for that much money.

We all know the XS1 will be beating the HS series on any other part than zoom but hey why do I buy such a camera in the first place?

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785

I think this provides further evidence that there are quality variations in the X-S1. Seems pot luck to get a good sample. Whether its a quality control issue and/or there is a very wide tolerance or margin for "within spec" optics, only purchase one from a shop with a good return policy.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,590
Per ...

... Thanks for posting these - Doesn't make me want to rush out and buy an XS-1.

I no longer have the HS-10 but am looking at the HS-30.

Thanks for posting these.
--
Regards, Dave

http://www.eyemindsoul.com

PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,724

skimble wrote:

I sold mine (HS10) for $250 here you go

If I want another super zoom it has to be better than the XS1 or I rather wait and buy the HS30 when it has come down in price

I rather buy another X10 if I want to shoot more landscape, at least that way I don't have to carry a heavy camera around and get excellent IQ with enough zoom.

Not sure what Fuji thought with the XS1, the intend was good but the execution makes you think twice to buy one for that much money.

We all know the XS1 will be beating the HS series on any other part than zoom but hey why do I buy such a camera in the first place?

Yep that's it. I mean don't get me wrong, for sure the XS-1 is a very capable machine with all the whistles and the bells, and me think it takes probably some learning curve as well. But for instance, I'm not so sure that it would be that superior compare also to the new HS30..and YES In the meanwhile I would prefer to save the extra $$$ to try out the so famous X-10 to carry with me at all times! But hey that's just my thought, your mileage may vary..

Cheers.
--
Marco
SONY SLT A55
NIKON P 6000
CANON A80
Photography it's all about...Art & Science
http://marcoimages.blogspot.com/

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +5 more
skimble
skimble Veteran Member • Posts: 6,189
Re: Per ...

Lloydy wrote:

... Thanks for posting these - Doesn't make me want to rush out and buy an XS-1.

I no longer have the HS-10 but am looking at the HS-30.

But you do have the S100fs

Thanks for posting these.
--
Regards, Dave

http://www.eyemindsoul.com

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
s_pokkrong
s_pokkrong Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Good sample of pictures.
Thanks for posting

I 've just bought HS30 today. Hope that it's better than my old HS10.

Pokkrong

s_pokkrong's gear list:s_pokkrong's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon PowerShot G7 X +39 more
OP PerH Contributing Member • Posts: 924

Thanks. Nice if you can send some comparative pictures with HS10 vs HS30. How do you feel the viewfinder compared to the HS10? Speed ​​and so on?

PerH

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Excellent comparison but...

You would buy the X-S1 because

1. It is a lot faster than HS10

2. It is better than HS10 at base ISO and a lot better than HS10 or any pinhead cam at high ISO
3. It has a lot better EVF and LCD

Drawback is, X-S1 price is a lot higher than HS10. You could even buy 2 HS20 and get some extras for the price of X-S1.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497
Re: Excellent comparison but...

jcmarfilph wrote:

You would buy the X-S1 because

1. It is a lot faster than HS10

faster, yes...a lot faster--not so sure about that

2. It is better than HS10 at base ISO and a lot better than HS10 or any pinhead cam at high ISO

I'm not too thrilled with iso 800 or higher

3. It has a lot better EVF and LCD

yes, for sure!

Drawback is, X-S1 price is a lot higher than HS10. You could even buy 2 HS20 and get some extras for the price of X-S1.

price wasn't part of my consideration..if the IQ would be just a bit better I'd certainly be happier.

wj
--
nikonandricoh

Just to try to push this thread a bit farther for those of us interested in HS10, XS1 comparison.

Summary of my position: In every aspect I've considered, even with these photos, I think the XS1 beats the HS10, mostly quite clearly. The critical failing seen here is is full-zoom sharpness, which I think is the only advantage seen in any of these photos. I was sadly thinking that this was just the lens, and possibly Fuji's misconceived optimization for non-full-zoom.

But, another thread reminded me of other issues. The following thread talks about IS and the sad lens sag, which obviously would have more effect at full zoom.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=40800710

The OP of that thread believes it is the IS (but he also has corrected his lens sag with a shim). I don't know why the XS1 would have worse IS, especially since it moved to lens-based from sensor-shift in HS10.

OP, I assume these shots were hand-held with IS turned on? Which mode? Maybe that's worth considering in terms of the full-zoom softness here. Several XS1 owner have shown sharp full-zoom XS1 pix. Look at Paul Till's deer on this one, below. I notice that Paul T used continuous IS, which most people don't. (I use it on my Canon G11 as DPReview specifically tested and found continuous better than shot only.)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=40749509

Wymjym also has some really sharp shots.

Most people won't care about this, but if the problem is sag or even IS, it is likely to get better on the XS2. The lens is very unlikely to improve soon. Since I'm a year away from a new cam, this is very important to me.
--
The BoxerMan

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

I shoot @ 500 images this AM on a tripod, at 624mm, 30 meters.

They are sharp, IS on/off/different settings...if there was a difference it was imperceptible to my eyes at 400% viewing.

The af is not reliable for absolute sharpness, trust your eyes on the evf or lcd to confirm sharpness.....practice is needed but I generally look for something that should look crisp, a thread, hair, edge of leaf etc. and then fire off several shots in multishot mode. Shooting 4 shots I always have 2 that will be sharper than the others.

I'm going to shoot at 500mm max for a week or so, my walk about testing shows me that the difference between shooting at 500 and 400 requires more effort and thought but much less steadiness than at 600mm. The only sharp 600+ shots I've managed required leaning against something or some other type of support (except for one or two lucky captures of things moving where they fell into the focus zone at the right moment, at the right ss, with the right amount of light, etc).
af-c also seems to result in more accurate focus of distant objects.
(very tired of testing!!)

wj
--
nikonandricoh

wymjym:

Just to thank you for sharing your efforts with us, even though, I know, testing gets very boring. I'm pretty regular monopod guy for long shots, so that's between hand-held and a good tripod. As I mentioned, I'm hoping incremental improvements next year will make XS2 unambiguously a good buy. (Like you, price is not the greatest concern; I'm into bridge cams merely out of convenience, not so much $. That and the fact that my photography is personal/family, not THAT critical.)

wymjym wrote:

I shoot @ 500 images this AM on a tripod, at 624mm, 30 meters.

They are sharp, IS on/off/different settings...if there was a difference it was imperceptible to my eyes at 400% viewing.

The af is not reliable for absolute sharpness, trust your eyes on the evf or lcd to confirm sharpness.....

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads