Weird focus sound EX1 ?

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions
marcg60
marcg60 Junior Member • Posts: 49
Weird focus sound EX1 ?

I Bought yesterday a second hand Samsung EX1. Looks like new. First I didn't noticed this sound, but now I hear it every time when I try to focus: I hear a weird sound..when it's focused the sound is gone. Focus is quick and sharp. Zooming in or out goes without a sound and smooth. Is this focussing sound normal ?

marcg60's gear list:marcg60's gear list
Sony SLT-A58
Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Weird focus sound EX1 ?

What's the sound?

tkpenalty Regular Member • Posts: 451

the EX1 does not use an ultrasonic motor, but a voice coil motor to focus so its bound to make some sounds when focusing.

Nothing should be wrong with it.

marcg60
OP marcg60 Junior Member • Posts: 49

Ok thats very good to hear. So this normal for the EX1; you can also clearly hear the camera focussing ? It's difficult to discribe the sound, sort of muffled rattle ?

Sony SLT-A58

If it's working, I wouldn't worry about the sound.

Yes, again, it makes noise when focusing.

sherwoodpete
sherwoodpete Veteran Member • Posts: 7,766

marcg60 wrote:

I Bought yesterday a second hand Samsung EX1. Looks like new. First I didn't noticed this sound, but now I hear it every time when I try to focus: I hear a weird sound..when it's focused the sound is gone.

Define Weird?

Focus is quick and sharp. Zooming in or out goes without a sound and smooth. Is this focussing sound normal ?

Doesn't seem quite normal to me.

My EX1 does make a sound when zooming in and out. It also makes a sound during focussing. The zoom sound is a bit louder than the autofocus sound. But the two have a different character. Zooming is the sound of gears whirring, focus is a series of muffled clicks.

Regards,
Peter

JoostL Contributing Member • Posts: 710

My EX1 does make a sound when zooming in and out. It also makes a sound during focussing. The zoom sound is a bit louder than the autofocus sound. But the two have a different character. Zooming is the sound of gears whirring, focus is a series of muffled clicks.

So does mine. Funny idea though, because of this post all over the world EX1 owners grabbing cameras out of bags and listening to what sounds it really makes..

It's quite fascinating that we're on a photo forum and cameras have long since been able to record motion and sound, yet we're asked to diagnose some unknown sound, without even a description beyond "there's a sound". let alone the availability of video has failed us here.

marcg60

I agree Peter, the zooming is a totally different noise. But it's just as loud as the zooming noise. I suppose it's normal, because I have a quick focus and sharp pictures.

Sony SLT-A58
rude Senior Member • Posts: 2,260

its qyite normal the sounds it makes when turned on and the lens out and turned on. its completely normal . dont worry. lisa a former tech.

marcg60 wrote:

I agree Peter, the zooming is a totally different noise. But it's just as loud as the zooming noise. I suppose it's normal, because I have a quick focus and sharp pictures.

rude's gear list:rude's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 Olympus TG-820 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5
thielges
thielges Regular Member • Posts: 492
au natural or synthetic sounds?

Almost every camera with autofocus makes that muffled fluttering sound on a half press of the shutter button. It is the sound of tiny lens elements abruptly moving from position to position as the camera's AF algorithm seeks the correct focus point.

Speaking of which I always configure my camera so that it makes no synthetic beeps on power on, AF or shooting a photo so there's nothing to mask the natural sounds. Just for fun I tried turning the sounds back on and found them to be intrusive and annoying. Does anyone find those sounds useful?

marcg60
Re: au natural or synthetic sounds?

I'm still not convinced that the focus sound of my EX1 is normal. It sounds like a sort of fast rewinding for one or two seconds ? It does not sound as a serie of clicks as someone in a posting above discribed. When I hold the camera about 50cm away from me, I can easily hear the focus sound. Is that really normal for this camera ? Other EX1 owners have the same experience ?

Sony SLT-A58

Do you not have access to video?

marcg60 wrote:

I'm still not convinced that the focus sound of my EX1 is normal. It sounds like a sort of fast rewinding for one or two seconds ? It does not sound as a serie of clicks as someone in a posting above discribed. When I hold the camera about 50cm away from me, I can easily hear the focus sound. Is that really normal for this camera ? Other EX1 owners have the same experience ?

marcg60

You mean recording the focus sound?

Sony SLT-A58

No, the other thing.

marcg60 wrote:

You mean recording the focus sound?

marcg60

I have access to video but it's not sharp at all when I take a look at it, I hear no sound of focussing in the video sample.

Sony SLT-A58

ok.

marcg60 wrote:

I have access to video but it's not sharp at all when I take a look at it, I hear no sound of focussing in the video sample.

sherwoodpete
Sample EX1 Sounds

marcg60 wrote:

I thought from your initial description that your focus sound was apparently louder than the zoom sound. With my EX1, focus sound is quieter.

Anyway, here's an audio sample (only 111 kb):
http://kochut.co.uk/dpr/ex1_operation.mp3

• 0-1 second: Power On

• 3-8 seconds: Zoom-in, zoom out

• 9-16 seconds: focus sound, followed by shutter click. more focus sound and another shutter click

All the sounds are fairly quiet, so there's some background noise. Recorded separately, the EX1 does not focus during video recording, so can't record its own sounds.

Regards,
Peter

sherwoodpete
Sorry about that

There may have been some download problems earlier with the mp3 file.

Please feel free to try again:
http://kochut.co.uk/dpr/ex1_operation.mp3

(hope it's ok now)

marcg60
Re: Sorry about that

Thank you Peter, that's sounds exactly like mine. Mine is a bit loud when focussing but I guess it's ok. Thanks a lot for your help.

Sony SLT-A58
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads