5D III sample... a bad joke?

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,043
5D III sample... a bad joke?

Look at the "details" of ISO 100 photo. This photo should be removed from their website.

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotonCanvas Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: 5D III sample... a bad joke?

Very true. These examples are quite bad. I assume it is bad processing... Sure, the sensor may have better noise performance, but a MkIII needs more than that. I bet Canon will learn the lesson and a killer 30+Mpixel sensor will be here in a year or so.

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 40,875
Except by then...

PhotonCanvas wrote:

Very true. These examples are quite bad. I assume it is bad processing... Sure, the sensor may have better noise performance, but a MkIII needs more than that. I bet Canon will learn the lesson and a killer 30+Mpixel sensor will be here in a year or so.

...many former Canon owners will be shooting with the D800.

studio311 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

The iceberg shot at 6400 is horrible...imho. NR gone wild.

mclaren777
mclaren777 Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Except by then...

Great Bustard wrote:

And equally as many former Nikon owners will be shooting with the 5D3. What's your point?

Seaclam Senior Member • Posts: 1,703

His point is, the camera is a 5D2n and whatever updates that have been done should and could technically have been on the 5D2 years ago. This camera doesn't deserve the Mk3 moniker nor the asking price.

-- hide signature --

Photography, like many other hobbies, persuits and art forms, is first and foremost about having fun and exploring.

mclaren777
mclaren777 Regular Member • Posts: 230

Seaclam wrote:

This camera doesn't deserve the Mk3 moniker nor the asking price.

It would be hard for me to disagree more. I think Canon went above and beyond with the 5D3 and I look forward to owning one someday.

This is about as close to my ideal camera as any company has ever gotten.

Compact40MP Regular Member • Posts: 171

This is going to be very good camera, that's for sure. But, it looks like Canon let me down. I'm studio photographer looking for extra detail and sharpness expected in D800E camera. But, maybe Canon is right if their message is - that's an area of photography that is reserved for medium format. We are giving up, we just can't compete with medium format.

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174

Seaclam wrote:

His point is, the camera is a 5D2n and whatever updates that have been done should and could technically have been on the 5D2 years ago. This camera doesn't deserve the Mk3 moniker nor the asking price.

All the 5D mkII offered vis a vis the 5D was more pixels and video/live view, the latter not a big deal to still photographers. Same body, same AF, same metering, same everything. This camera changes everything except the pixel count. New AF, new metering, new body, so why not the different designation? The comments that it's like the 1D mkIIn are way off, that camera's sole contribution to the lineage was a larger rear LCD...

dominikov Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

mclaren777 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

And equally as many former Nikon owners will be shooting with the 5D3. What's your point?

The most compelling reason to jump ship to Canon was the 5Dmk2 while Nikon offered nothing over 12mp for under $8000. That's no longer the case.

The price is the biggest disappointment. There isn't one compelling feature that justifies a $500 premium over the D800.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,151

Compact40MP wrote:

This is going to be very good camera, that's for sure. But, it looks like Canon let me down. I'm studio photographer looking for extra detail and sharpness expected in D800E camera.

Some facts.

If you DOUBLE the megapixel count, you will see a slight difference in detail or sharpness to the naked eye, or maybe not. It's subtle.

If you quadruple the megapixel count it will be obvious.

The 1Div has 16mp. I've a 20 x 30 inch finely detailed enlargement on my wall at which everyone is stunned.
What are you going on about?

I have a 1Dsiii and can SEE no difference.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS-1D X +24 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 56,767

mclaren777 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Why would they.

Spend $500 more and make a loss on their lenses for a camera with a sole advantage of one extra FPS (D800 will do 5FPS without grip at 25MP). So, why is anyone in their right mind going to switch in that direction?
--
Bob

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,924

mclaren777 wrote:

Seaclam wrote:

This camera doesn't deserve the Mk3 moniker nor the asking price.

It would be hard for me to disagree more. I think Canon went above and beyond with the 5D3 and I look forward to owning one someday.

For $3500 almost four years later ? I don't know what you are shooting, but for people/landscape/wedding/graduations ect (and the buffer being what it is) I never ran into the wall with the 4fps on the 5D2. Much better for sports even than my 20D which seems to lockup every 6 frames to clean the buffer. Always managed with the central focus point or LV @ 100%. I suppose 50+ focus points is "a nice thing to have," but like ISO1000000 (ISO6400 is darker than I can see with a f1.4 prime), barely impacts on a lot of styles of photography.

I have been busy stitching images in the meantime, I was just hoping for more resolution in a single shot. So for me, this is a huge (4 years coming) disappointment.

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +26 more
Blaize Regular Member • Posts: 374

" Very true. These examples are quite bad. I assume it is bad processing... Sure, the sensor may have better noise performance, but a MkIII needs more than that. I bet Canon will learn the lesson and a killer 30+Mpixel sensor will be here in a year or so. "

• then you can bet on a truly killer price!!

-- hide signature --

“Besides what do I know … all my photos are really just a string of ones and zeros!”

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174

bobn2 wrote:

mclaren777 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Why would they.

Spend $500 more and make a loss on their lenses for a camera with a sole advantage of one extra FPS (D800 will do 5FPS without grip at 25MP). So, why is anyone in their right mind going to switch in that direction?
--
Bob

Or the other direction, either. I'll lose more than the $1000 (two cameras) difference in lens and auxiliary gear sales if I switched, and all I'd get is a camera with more pixels. Not a good move from this side, either.
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Chez Wimpy

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Some facts.

If you DOUBLE the megapixel count, you will see a slight difference in detail or sharpness to the naked eye, or maybe not. It's subtle.

You can also "double" the print size without pixel interpolation (A1-> A0 for example). That impact - in galleries - is more than subtle.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +26 more
cs hauser Contributing Member • Posts: 735
That was shot on f/16

KLO82 wrote:

Look at the "details" of ISO 100 photo. This photo should be removed from their website.

That particular photo was exposed at f/16... which is waaaaaaay past the point of diffraction. The D800E would look even worse if it was shot under those conditions.

Canon needs to fire whoever is responsible for choosing samples for their website.

mclaren777 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Judging from this forum....you would be very mistaken.

Chez Wimpy

Skip M wrote:

All the 5D mkII offered vis a vis the 5D was more pixels and video/live view, the latter not a big deal to still photographers.

Live View not a big deal to still photographers? Without it I would never have transitioned to landscapes full time, the 17 and 24TSEIIs would have hardly sold, and it has meant shooting with assurance (focus+exposure) that never existed in the original. For live targets, AF micro-adjust meant that I got all my lenses spot on (including the Sigma 50), and that has drastically improved my keeper rate for shallow DOF candids. The LCD is 640x480 resolution, and the embedded jpegs full size reviewable, so you could check focus in the field BEFORE YOU GOT BACK, and redo the shots you missed - saving so much (AF) heartbreak.

It was a huge improvement.

Skip M wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

mclaren777 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Why would they.

--
Bob

Or the other direction, either. I'll lose more than the $1000 (two cameras) difference in lens and auxiliary gear sales if I switched, and all I'd get is a camera with more pixels. Not a good move from this side, either.
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

D800 = Higher resolution, better metering, uncompressed hdmi out, 15MP in crop mode, etc, etc...

D800 + 24-70 vs 5d3 + 24-70 II...and there's your $1000 difference right back!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads