Using Sigma SA lenses on other SLR's?

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions
tstruth New Member • Posts: 9
Using Sigma SA lenses on other SLR's?

Hi

My Sigma SA7 body stopped working and I asked this question on 3rd party lenses:

I have some dedicated Sigma EX lenses that I was using with a Sigma SD10 SLR. Seeing as how these lenses can only fit Sigma SLR's, are there any mount adapters that I can fit to enable my lenses to fit other SLR brands or am I forced in using these for Sigma's SLR's only?

I received an answer back:

If they fit on a teleconverter, apparently can buy a Sigma-mount Sigma teleconverter and a Canon-mount Sigma teleconverter and swap mounts, since the electronics are compatible.

and replied with this: (copied from Sigma SLR forum)

Is this what you mean?

"Another, simpler way: Get a sigma teleconverter for EOS, and a sigma teleconverter for sigma SA. Swap parts around so you get a teleconverter with a sigma-SA side that fits the SD14, and a canon mount that fits your canon lenses. Simpler, but of course only useful in situations where you want to use a teleconverter."

So, is the above right? - My only option is to swap parts from the two teleconverters to enable my SA mount Sigma's lenses to work on other brand SLR's?

Thanks

Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yvind Strm Veteran Member • Posts: 4,130
Re: Using Sigma SA lenses on other SLR's?

Hello

No, there are more options than the teleconverter way.

AFAIK, there are no adaptors that allow SA mount lenses on other cameras.

It would be useful to know both what camera you have in mind (because I guess you are not selecting camera by what the SA lenses can be used on?)

Also, what lenses do we talk about?

You can change the mount of the SA lenses to a number of other mounts. (The other way around is commonly discussed here.)

But:

1. The registration distance need to match, or else the lens will focus differently from what you expect - like not reaching Infinity, or way past infinity. Canon EF match in registration distance, but there still may be differences in the thickness of the lens mount, requiring a shim or shaving some thickness off.

2. Very few conversions will give you Aperture and AF control. Canon EF is electrically compatible - but soldering is needed. And it may or may not work.

You could also talk to Sigma in US or Germany.

Another option is to contact one of the companies that work with Sigma lens conversions.
http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-sigma-cameras.html
sigmacumlaude.com

The third option is to sell the lens.

And last option, buy a SD15.

tstruth wrote:

Hi

My Sigma SA7 body stopped working and I asked this question on 3rd party lenses:

I have some dedicated Sigma EX lenses that I was using with a Sigma SD10 SLR. Seeing as how these lenses can only fit Sigma SLR's, are there any mount adapters that I can fit to enable my lenses to fit other SLR brands or am I forced in using these for Sigma's SLR's only?

If they fit on a teleconverter, apparently can buy a Sigma-mount Sigma teleconverter and a Canon-mount Sigma teleconverter and swap mounts, since the electronics are compatible.

Is this what you mean?

"Another, simpler way: Get a sigma teleconverter for EOS, and a sigma teleconverter for sigma SA. Swap parts around so you get a teleconverter with a sigma-SA side that fits the SD14, and a canon mount that fits your canon lenses. Simpler, but of course only useful in situations where you want to use a teleconverter."

So, is the above right? - My only option is to swap parts from the two teleconverters to enable my SA mount Sigma's lenses to work on other brand SLR's?

Thanks

OP tstruth New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks, that's very good information.

I have the following Sigma lenses:

100-300mm f4 EX
15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

I am thinking about a used Canon SLR; maybe the 1000d or 550d which both use the EF mount. Could you give some more info on changing my lenses to a EF mount? Maybe a link to something?

Thanks again

yvind Strm wrote:
Hello

No, there are more options than the teleconverter way.

AFAIK, there are no adaptors that allow SA mount lenses on other cameras.

It would be useful to know both what camera you have in mind (because I guess you are not selecting camera by what the SA lenses can be used on?)

Also, what lenses do we talk about?

You can change the mount of the SA lenses to a number of other mounts. (The other way around is commonly discussed here.)

But:

1. The registration distance need to match, or else the lens will focus differently from what you expect - like not reaching Infinity, or way past infinity. Canon EF match in registration distance, but there still may be differences in the thickness of the lens mount, requiring a shim or shaving some thickness off.

2. Very few conversions will give you Aperture and AF control. Canon EF is electrically compatible - but soldering is needed. And it may or may not work.

You could also talk to Sigma in US or Germany.

Another option is to contact one of the companies that work with Sigma lens conversions.
http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-sigma-cameras.html
sigmacumlaude.com

The third option is to sell the lens.

And last option, buy a SD15.

tstruth wrote:

Hi

Is this what you mean?

Thanks

DaSigmaGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,308

tstruth wrote:

Thanks, that's very good information.

I have the following Sigma lenses:

100-300mm f4 EX
15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

I am thinking about a used Canon SLR; maybe the 1000d or 550d which both use the EF mount. Could you give some more info on changing my lenses to a EF mount? Maybe a link to something?

Thanks again

You can swap the SA mounting plate and electrical block on your Sigma lenses for an EF mounting plate and electrical block, assuming you can find some.

On the mechanical side, you will probably have to accurately drill and countersink a few new securing holes in the EF mounting plate and on the electrical side you will have to carefully unsolder the ribbon cable going to the SA electrical block and carefully solder it onto the EF electrical block in the same pin order. Infinity focus is pretty much guarenteed as SA and EF have the same 44mm registration distance.

Personally, I would'nt bother converting any of those lenses because they are zooms and therefore they are'nt exactly the best lenses Sigma has to offer...I would only convert primes because they offer better image quality and it will therefore make such a conversion more worthwhile.
Or, you could simply sell your Sigma lenses and buy used EF equivalents.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Samsung Galaxy S7 Samsung Galaxy S9 +25 more
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,630

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Personally, I would'nt bother converting any of those lenses because they are zooms and therefore they are'nt exactly the best lenses Sigma has to offer...I would only convert primes because they offer better image quality and it will therefore make such a conversion more worthwhile.
Or, you could simply sell your Sigma lenses and buy used EF equivalents.

Well, especially the 100-300mm. and 15-30mm. EX are still véry capable lenses, even if they are zooms. Primes might be superior, but these were zooms from way back when Sigma still had fairly decen quality control.

Since these are Sigma mount, their resale value is limited provided you even manage to find a buyer. You'd have to pay quite a bit extra if you want the same lenses back in Canon mount version, so changing the mounts might not even be such a bad idea here.
--
'We are only immortal for a limited time'

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 Epson R-D1 +37 more
FritsThomsen Senior Member • Posts: 2,759
Better solution ...
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

FWIW the Sigma 28-70mm/f.28 EX DG in Canon mount seems very scarce. I've been looking for one for 2 months in CA mount and have only seen one listed ... in the UK... that went for about US$300 I recall. There is another variant, non-EX, non-constant f/x, and apparently a pre-DG one that just sold. Not the same.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads