Moon Maid's sensor comparison

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions
momchilcha Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Color performance?

Thanks Marianne - very interesting as usual!
Any word on color performance yet? Hopefully it's better than D7000...

Yamo Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Sharpening the pencil

These charts are perfectly readable and accurate.

If you're having trouble seeing the fine detail, save them as images and look at them with an image viewer where you can zoom. Sheesh.

-Yamo-

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,420
Re: Don't forget, y'all...

Iliah Borg wrote:

The D800 is the undisputed low ISO DSLR champ.

There is however more to the image quality than just read noise, shot noise, and dynamic range. It is also a question of the usability of low ISO if one aims to get all the high resolution the camera is supposed to provide.

Iliah, I agree.

Do you have any specific concerns about the usability of the low ISO high resolution of the D800?
--
Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 25,841

Do you have any specific concerns about the usability of the low ISO high resolution of the D800?

In theory, no. From theoretical point of view there is no difference between theory and practice. From a practical point of view, there is a lot. Handholding, and demanding high resolution, we may need 1/500 and higher.

-- hide signature --
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,420

Iliah Borg wrote:

In theory, no. From theoretical point of view there is no difference between theory and practice. From a practical point of view, there is a lot. Handholding, and demanding high resolution, we may need 1/500 and higher.

Thanks, I see.

Do you have any other concerns regarding the D800, for instance color which I remember seen raised as a potential issue?
--
Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,333
Re: Moon Maid's sensor comparison

I believe this thread is the most accurate to date in determining who is going to upgrade to the D800 and who is not.

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 25,841

Do you have any other concerns regarding the D800, for instance color which I remember seen raised as a potential issue?

Not at this time. It is going to be an interesting study.

-- hide signature --
OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,774
SNR sample thumbnails

To provide a better understanding of what SNR in dB means, the images below will be updated over the next few days, to provide sample thumbnails. It will take me a while to decide how to present them, with regard to the lighting and processing to use.

Check back later for the samples, and any other pertinent news that develops in the near future.

nikon1983 Regular Member • Posts: 274

+1.
would like to express my thanks and gratitude to marianne's contribution too.

MrSkelter Contributing Member • Posts: 705

noirdesir wrote:

MrSkelter wrote:

Your need to 'defend' the OP when she's perfectly capable of responding, and has, makes you seem foolish.

No, but we want to keep Marianne's contributions, thus it is important to us that it is clear to her that the vast majority very much appreciates her postings. Making clear that we don't share your criticism nor feel it is appropriate is part of that package. Ideally, we would naturally like to convince you that your criticism and tone was inappropriate but it does not look like we have much success with that.

What criticism? A question about scales and readability? A comment on a universally acknowledged graphic design no-no?

You can question and disagree without causing offense or upset. Those too fragile for conversation should retreat to whichever safe-places they've built for themselves. Criticism is also A-OK. There's no rule against civil discourse.

I don't think the OP would be as interested in posting here and doing this work if there weren't people able to read, understand and comment on it intelligently. She's an engineer. How do you think they discuss work, ideas and results? Has she somehow earned the rank of perfect person in your view? Do you think she thinks her work is beyond criticism or comment?

If the OP thinks my questions are unfair I'm all ears. Until that point you should all stop 'big-brothering' her. She doesn't need it and I've not seen her ask for it. Your 'concern' is patronizing and borderline sexist IMNSHO.

There are plenty of supplicants here already. You don't need me.

OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,774
Teaser

Luke Kaven wrote:

Is this what you would call the decisive edge in low-light performance for the D4 design? I had held out some hope that the squeaky clean Exmor would perform on a par when seen at 12MP.

I haven't included this effect in the posted curves because I need more data before I'll accept it, but it does appear from the samples I have, that the D800 read noise (in ADU) is climbing more slowly than proportionality to ISO. On the surface, one wouldn't expect this, since ISO sensitivities above ISO 1000 (if it follows the D7000 example) should be only by numerical scaling.

I can see two possible explanations: 1) Some gain sharing at high ISO, such that some of the boost is still provided by the analog electronics; 2) A slight amount of NR is being applied to the RAW data.

It will require test images to determine exactly what's going on. If it's 1) or something similar, it's good news since the D800 will receive about a 2dB SNR boost in dark tones at high ISO. If it's due to NR, though, there will be many disappointed users. We shall see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads