A few more film noir

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
KFoisy Regular Member • Posts: 406
A few more film noir

Hi folks,
Though you might enjoy a few more M9 film noir style images.

Cheers,
Kevin

Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 4,540
Re: A few more film noir

The last one, of course. Although all your "film noir" images, this one included, have a common shortcoming: while visually valid, they lack semantic substance. One cannot be scared of nothing, if you know what I mean.
Here, just a few of examples:

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A99 Leica SL (Typ 601)
KFoisy OP Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: A few more film noir

Hi Irakly,

Thanks for your comments. I am not sure that I do understand you though. Are you saying that you define the film noir style as "scary images?" If so, your interpretation of film noir is quite different from mine. Film noir style is a low-key, highly dramatic style of photography. Not necessarily hollywood, scary, or anything else. It's a general style of photography.

I've researched it and worked with a pro that specializes in film noir.

I'm not encouraging debate here but I am interested in your thoughts on the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

The last one, of course. Although all your "film noir" images, this one included, have a common shortcoming: while visually valid, they lack semantic substance. One cannot be scared of nothing, if you know what I mean.
Here, just a few of examples:

-- hide signature --
hughf
hughf Senior Member • Posts: 2,749
Re: A few more film noir

Hello kevin,

Your first and last one represente very well your title, IMHO .

Thanks for sharing.

Hugues.

Leo33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,858
Re: A few more film noir

Greetings Kevin,

Well done and difficult too pull off successfully!. My favorite is the last one. It has a mystery about it.

My Best,
Leo33(Emil)

 Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm XF1
KFoisy OP Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: A few more film noir

Thank you Emil!

Leo33 wrote:

Greetings Kevin,

Well done and difficult too pull off successfully!. My favorite is the last one. It has a mystery about it.

My Best,
Leo33(Emil)

KFoisy OP Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: A few more film noir

Thank you Hugues!

Kevin

hughf wrote:

Hello kevin,

Your first and last one represente very well your title, IMHO .

Thanks for sharing.

Hugues.

Maphou
Maphou Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
Re: A few more film noir

my fav # 3
you can make a nice story...
Thanks for sharing and your insight ...
different from Iraklys
Best wishes to both of you.
Keep them coming... he he

Emile
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8093392047/photos/slideshow
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebfoto/

KFoisy OP Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: A few more film noir

Thanks for your kind words Emile

Kevin

Maphou wrote:

my fav # 3
you can make a nice story...
Thanks for sharing and your insight ...
different from Iraklys
Best wishes to both of you.
Keep them coming... he he

Emile
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8093392047/photos/slideshow
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebfoto/

becasabot Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: A few more film noir

Great pictures, I liked nr 5 a lot but nr 3 is special, it was the one I came back to check once more. So minimal yet it makes you think about the possible stories.

The last one, I liked the tones and composition however I would prefer one without a body lying there, that would be more mysterious for me.

I enjoyed your shots a lot. Cheers

Gary CG Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: A few more film noir

Nice shots. Number three is my favorite,

Fenway
Fenway Contributing Member • Posts: 839
To Kevin

All are nice, but the first one is my favorite.

George

MrGubrz
MrGubrz Contributing Member • Posts: 943
Re: A few more film noir
  1. 5 is fanoirtastic!

 MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads