41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Benjamin Marsh Regular Member • Posts: 107
41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Nikon just had their marketing departments ass handed to them by... Nokia?

http://press.nokia.com/2012/02/27/nokia-808-pureview-ushers-in-a-revolution-in-smartphone-imaging/

 Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
sir_bazz Senior Member • Posts: 2,134
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

New toy on my wish list.

Finally a worthwhile upgrade from the Nokia N8.
--
Zooms? pfffft!

 sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax *ist DS Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
TailsNZ Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

The white paper here says it has a 1/1.2" sensor, with 1.4 micron pixels. If I understand things right, that's a similar pixel size to many compact cameras? Yet 41 megapixels. And in a cellphone. Interesting!

http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Products/Phones/8000-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf

Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

That sensor is just huge. And couple that with incredible processing power, allowing for on the fly downsampling.

TailsNZ wrote:

The white paper here says it has a 1/1.2" sensor, with 1.4 micron pixels. If I understand things right, that's a similar pixel size to many compact cameras? Yet 41 megapixels. And in a cellphone. Interesting!

http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Products/Phones/8000-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf

TailsNZ Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Very cool! How huge are we talking? Bigger than a Canon G12, just for example?

I see the average 16 megapixel compact camera has a pixel size of about 1.4 microns.

I guess this makes up for the lack of zoom in camera phones, as when you zoom on the phone, it reduces the megapixels and crops. I imagine I'd be happy cropping down to 5 megapixels or such, and that's a fair zoom.

Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

About twice the size of that in the G12.

TailsNZ wrote:

Very cool! How huge are we talking? Bigger than a Canon G12, just for example?

I see the average 16 megapixel compact camera has a pixel size of about 1.4 microns.

I guess this makes up for the lack of zoom in camera phones, as when you zoom on the phone, it reduces the megapixels and crops. I imagine I'd be happy cropping down to 5 megapixels or such, and that's a fair zoom.

Benjamin Marsh OP Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

1/1.2 inches would make the sensor 83% the size of the sensor in a Nikon 1 system camera, or about 25% bigger than a fuji X10/X-S1 sensor.

 Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Keto Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

That's quite cool. I guess smart phones will be the death of compacts.

wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

I'm sure it would be the best camera phone so far, but how would it compare to a good compact camera, like my own Sony HX9V, which has a smaller sensor? That would be interesting to know...

TailsNZ Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Wow!!

Of all the software to run though, why oh why did it have to be Symbian. Must have been because of when they started developing the phone. I look forward to the sequel to the phone though, which will no doubt run a version of Windows Mobile.

Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Do try Symbian Belle before you knock it. They've come a long, long way from what Symbian^3 started out as. It's not that dissimilar to Android now-a-days, and due to the native kernel design, it's quite a bit more efficient.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/leaving-anna-for-belle-we-take-an-up-close-look-at-symbians-latest-version-review/

TailsNZ wrote:

Wow!!

Of all the software to run though, why oh why did it have to be Symbian. Must have been because of when they started developing the phone. I look forward to the sequel to the phone though, which will no doubt run a version of Windows Mobile.

wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Symbian Bella is ok, but I would much rather have Windows Phone, but I guess the software is not ready for a camera phone like this.

TailsNZ Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Here's a video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HDlAXUsRDew

And this one is pretty interesting too. Especially the examples of zoom:

http://www.viddler.com/v/e9abdbb4

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Yeah I can see all those D800 pre orders getting cancelled because of a Nokia

JKP Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Here are a few untouched photos from Nokia 808 (Look at UPDATE#2 on the bottom of the page).

Per pixel quality certainly better than my Samsung Note phone. Some conservative unsharp mask will improve the photos even more.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/02/27/nokia-808-pureview-%E2%80%93-revolutionary-camera-technology-great-smartphone/

-JKP-

MiLei Contributing Member • Posts: 621
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Interesting. What about price?

 MiLei's gear list:MiLei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

450€ before taxes in Europe unlocked and unsubsidized.

MiLei wrote:

Interesting. What about price?

wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Those samples look very good, but ISO is very low, I would like to see some high ISO examples:

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Archive2.zip

beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

Benjamin Marsh wrote:

41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

64 megabytes of RAM should be enough for anybody

 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Sigma DP2s Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more
xrdbear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,885
Re: 41 Megapixels should be enough for anybody

wii wrote:

Those samples look very good, but ISO is very low, I would like to see some high ISO examples:

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Archive2.zip

The noise is also very low though, try turning photoshop on those shadows, it's quite surprising. I Imagine that the downsampled pictures must be not only very sharp but remarkably low noise. Anyone know what the highest iso can be set or is it entirely auto?

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads