D30 lens compatibility

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions
John Ellis
John Ellis Senior Member • Posts: 1,087
D30 lens compatibility

This is an unusual question. I could not find the answer in search. I have a Canon D30 I use occasionally, mostly to convince my kids and grand kids that paying huge prices for cameras does not guarantee results. I have some big enlargements as good as any they can show me. They are incredulous!

I found, unfortunately, that EF-S lenses do not fit. So I am looking at the Sigma 18-125 OS. Anyone know if it both fits and will activate the OS function on the lens? The original DPR review did say it worked with Canon's IS lenses, so I am hoping.
--
John Ellis

Canon EOS D30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,787
Re: D30 lens compatibility

John Ellis wrote:

This is an unusual question. I could not find the answer in search. I have a Canon D30 I use occasionally, mostly to convince my kids and grand kids that paying huge prices for cameras does not guarantee results. I have some big enlargements as good as any they can show me. They are incredulous!

I found, unfortunately, that EF-S lenses do not fit. So I am looking at the Sigma 18-125 OS. Anyone know if it both fits and will activate the OS function on the lens? The original DPR review did say it worked with Canon's IS lenses, so I am hoping.
--
John Ellis

Correct, the D30 pre-dates the EF-S mount so only Canon EF lenses and third-party compatible lenses will work. There are no third party EF-S mounts so no need to worry about that.

Yes, the Sigma 18-125 should work. There's no reason the OS function wouldn't work. The only time I had a problem with a 3rd party lens was an older Sigma 300mm f/4 purchased in the 90's - it worked on the D30 and 10D, not on the 30D.

Mark

altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

John Ellis wrote:

--
John Ellis

My D30 works with my Sigma 50-500 non-OS. My guess is the 18-125 will work. I do not think the OS has to communicate with the camera as it is in the lens. However, I see in the Nikon 1 forum, the Sigma OS versions do not work with their FT1 adapter, while the non-OS versions do. They suspect firmware needs to be updated for OS lenses.
I still sell prints made from that camera. Was amazing for it's time.

Dan

John Ellis
OP John Ellis Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

OK, great. I also just found this from the Lonestardigital review of the D30:

Compact, lightweight EOS style digital single-lens reflex camera, designed and built by Canon. Uses any & all Canon EF compatible lenses, including Canon's image stabilization models.

Before ordering the Sigma 18-50 OS, I also emailed Sigma and am awaiting an answere. Will post it here for any future interest

Thanks for your replies:
--
John Ellis

Thorbard Contributing Member • Posts: 689

Until I replaced it, I got on just fine with the D30 and a Sigma 18-200 DC OS.

The Sigma DC lenses are based on the standard EOS mount (EF mount) but give only the reduced image circle characteristic of the EF-S lenses.

Interestingly, the Sigma DC lenses typically have one element more than the Canon EF-S equivalents.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads