Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: Horrible lens

Well DPR is unlucky too sometimes and they will repeat the testing up to 3 or 5 times (S100) just to get a good sample. But I wonder why they are not doing that in Fuji samples?

DS21 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:
Exactly!

Any good sample of Fuji bridge will not exhibit that extreme softness or blurriness.

SHood wrote:

Especially along the left hand side, but it continues into the middle of the image. I am surprised IR would post these as it looks like a sample issue.

Just compared the outdoor house image with the x10 to confirm the sensor is not the issue.

Good Camera wrote:

X-S1 lab images up at Imaging resource

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Poor IR must be the unluckiest review site in the world, always getting Fuji samples with bad lenses. Nothing to do with Fuji QC (I know, I know, all camera makers have bad samples, etc.).

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Kurt Horsley Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

jcmarfilph wrote:

That's the true output of the X-S1 and the user is intelligent enough to use various settings such as NR and Sharpness.

I've inquired before about in camera sharpness settings but didn't really know what to think. I'm glad you're getting better results because what I see posted on the web doesn't give me a good feeling about this camera.

I'd really like to try one myself because it fills most of the requirements I'm interested in...except image quality.

I'll probably need to use one myself before I can make an informed decision as to whether or not I can live with it.

After running some examples through Topaz, they clean up better than the FZ150 images do. I suspect they'll sharpen better too.

But...having said that...the FZ150 is still mighty impressive straight out of camera.

Rotareneg Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Horrible lens

jcmarfilph wrote:

Well DPR is unlucky too sometimes and they will repeat the testing up to 3 or 5 times (S100) just to get a good sample. But I wonder why they are not doing that in Fuji samples?

Perhaps the same reason why dcresource didn't go through multiple samples of F550EXRs when their review camera had horribly blurred corners: Fuji said the camera was performing up to spec.

-- hide signature --
subbu68 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Nothing wrong with the X-S1, if you will use it properly.

I think this kind of photos is enough to make it acceptable. Not much PP and bit of cropping. Shot at full zoom in A mode.

X-S1 in Macro Mode

At full zoom

Red Vented Bulbul at full zoom and cropped quite a bit. Not much PP

Doug Sinnott1941 Junior Member • Posts: 46

I've had my XS1 for 6 months now,and it's the best camera I've owned,and I have had plenty in over 40 years!

It really is superbly made,everything has been well thought out,and both the viewfinder,and rear LCD,are in a class of their own.

The images are sharp and colourful,but I always underexpose them by 1/3 of a stop,just to increase saturation a bit,(I always do this on all my cameras!),and I have found my XS1 a joy to use.

I have owned many Fuji "Bridge" cameras'',from the S602,and the S7000,right up to ALL the HS series,and various Panasonic Superzooms,and the XS1 is head and shoulders above them,even better than my highly regarded HS30 EXR,which is still a great camera.

It takes time to explore the capabilities of the XS1,and customise it to get the best out of it,but I have had some superb prints from this camera,and hardly use my Pentax DSLR,or my Panason G2 kit any more.It's heavy,but less so than my Pentax kit,and is more versatile,and it weighs exactly the same as my G2,with a couple of lenses,so no problems there.

It's bigger than the competion,because of it's bigger EXR sensor,resulting in a bigger,and bulkier lens,but I like it,it feels,and looks,a "proper" camera,and is a great,really versatile,piece of kit,with a superb lens.

Just take your time to get to know this camera,and it really will surprise you with the results it can produce!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug Sinnott

Doug Sinnott1941's gear list:Doug Sinnott1941's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
jacqui2 Regular Member • Posts: 322

I agree with Doug, I have had my XS1 about 3/4 weeks now and its a great camera. The build/handling etc is superb, and the evf a dream to use. But because of some things I had read I was expecting maybe to compromise a bit on image quality, but as it turns out, not at all, Ive been really pleased by some of the photos it has produced. Also in low light, in the woodland at our local nature reserve, I was getting photos of birds etc. that were much better than I expected. I don't have much of a problem with overexposure, although I do tend to use these cameras mainly at -1/3 ev, and there is always spot metering. All in all I think this is my favourite camera out of all the superzooms I have owned/tried (and there are quite a few) so I am really pleased. Also, one other thing, when I first bought the camera, a Fuji refurb, the one I received had a faulty evf, so I contact Fuji on the Thursday evening, and they replied the next morning, and because I needed a camera for that coming weekend, they offered to send a replacement out that day for next day/Saturday delivery. I received it next morning at 8am, and it looked brand new, none of the accessories had been opened, and the camera was still in a sealed plastic bag. So, I was extremely impressed with Fuji customer service as well.

-- hide signature --

jacqui

jacqui2's gear list:jacqui2's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500
DaSigmaGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,306

PerH wrote:

I have been photographing for many years and had many cameras Bridge and DSLR. None of these cameras have produced such poor results that X-S1 with the default setting.

PerH

I have an F660EXR and like your X-S1 it easily overexposes and blow out highlights on the "default" settings...The solution is to switch it to "EXR" mode where it exposes perfectly every time, and keep it there.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Samsung Galaxy S7 +25 more
jacqui2 Regular Member • Posts: 322

Just a thought, I had an XS1 before (a while ago) but was pretty disappointed with the results so returned it for a refund, but decided to give another one a try because I had seen some great photos on the net, and the one I have now is a different story altogether. Great photos with not much effort, I nearly always shoot in A mode, or for birds, S mode with auto iso 800. and, as I said, -1/3 ev or more depending on conditions. Maybe there are a few bad ones out there.

-- hide signature --

jacqui

jacqui2's gear list:jacqui2's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 7,734

Try setting the Auto Exposure metering to "Spot".

This was a big help to me on my X10 and my X-E1 but I don't own an X-S1.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +10 more

I think you need to polish up on some basic photography skills!

There's nothing wrong,or lacking with your XS-1,it's just in certain lighting your camera needs a bit of adjustment sometimes,and some high contrast subjects ditto.

Buy a good photography book which might help you in this respect,also just take your time to get to know your XS-1,as it can produce some great photographs!

I repeat,the XS-1 is a really capable piece of kit,and I think some people just don't take the time to use this camera properly,before rushing to their computers to dash off disparaging comments.

Perhaps they should stick to camera phones!

Regards,

Doug Sinnott

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,725
Learn more about exposure before blaming the camera.

Don't be so quick to blame the camera. Blown highlights are due to the limitations of camera sensors. A DSLR has more DR and is more forgiving but even that will not magically cure issues with exposure. You should brush up on your skills in exposure and possibly pick up additional skills in PP. Shooting RAW may give your more leeway, however, you would have to learn more about RAW processing and invest more time in PP. Why not learn to better control exposure, use the camera's histogram and chimp on the LCD or EVF to review photo's just after they are taken so that you can retake them with better exposures. This will also help you to refine your skills. First learn about how the different aspects of metering and exposure work.

If you get this right, you will have details in the feathers or white areas and not lose so much in the dark areas. Learn to PP and it gets even better. C'mon this is fun.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
http://standavidson.com/images/MacroSalt.jpg
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.
http://standavidson.com/post/Birds

OP PerH Contributing Member • Posts: 792
Re: Learn more about exposure before blaming the camera.

I don´t understand why you keep running this old thread. It´s one and a half years old. I don´t have the camera anymore. I tested it only on trial in two weeks. It´s widely known that the first copies of the XS-1 was not good. The new versions have been updated in several respects, and seems to work much better.
Since long I have a HS30EXR which I am very happy with.
So discard this old thread and look for new topics regarding XS-1. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

/PerH

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ1000
DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,725
Re: Learn more about exposure before blaming the camera.

PerH wrote:

I don´t understand why you keep running this old thread. It´s one and a half years old. I don´t have the camera anymore. I tested it only on trial in two weeks. It´s widely known that the first copies of the XS-1 was not good. The new versions have been updated in several respects, and seems to work much better.
Since long I have a HS30EXR which I am very happy with.
So discard this old thread and look for new topics regarding XS-1. Thank you.

I just tailed onto the new post at s at the end. By the way, the only problems with the early version of the camera was orbs and loose lens, not what you've experienced. My comments on blown highlights still stand. I hope that I haven't ruffled any feathers as I didn;t notice when this thread started.

I hope you are enjoying your HS30EXR.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
http://standavidson.com/images/MacroSalt.jpg
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.
http://standavidson.com/post/Birds

I think you have got a completely different camera from me!

I have been a Fuji,and Panasonic superzoom user for years,and the XS1is by far the best of all the cameras I've used.

A great viewfinder,fast to use,superbly put together,and produces great images,there's no bridge cameras that can compare with it,and I've been a keen photographer for nearly 50 years!

I completely disagree with your review!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug Sinnott

Doug Sinnott1941 wrote:

I think you have got a completely different camera from me!

I have been a Fuji,and Panasonic superzoom user for years,and the XS1is by far the best of all the cameras I've used.

A great viewfinder,fast to use,superbly put together,and produces great images,there's no bridge cameras that can compare with it,and I've been a keen photographer for nearly 50 years!

I completely disagree with your review!

I don´t understand why you keep running this old thread. It´s more then two years old. I don´t have the camera anymore. I tested it only on trial in two weeks. It´s widely known that the first copies of the XS-1 was not good. The new versions have been updated in several respects, and seems to work much better.
Since long I have a HS30EXR which I am very happy with.
So discard this old thread and look for new topics regarding XS-1. Thank you

-- hide signature --

/PerH

Jon Dow
Jon Dow Junior Member • Posts: 32

I just got my new X-S1 and had the same situation. I quickly discovered that using a faster shutter speed will help a great deal with overexposure - in my case it was just an incredibly sunny Florida day and it was affecting most of my shots.

I was shooting ISO 100 outdoors in bright daylight, so I could go no lower there. I began at a shutter speed of 1/160, which overexposed, and gradually increased in small increments with each shot and the results gradually improved to beautiful, sharp, correctly exposed images in the 1/400 - 1/800 range for most shots.

And that was without lens filters (got to get those..).

John

gunkan
gunkan Regular Member • Posts: 187

I can understand that people think that X-S1 is a disappointment camera. Just give a Canon SX50, Fuji HS50 or Pana FZ200 to someone used to big sensor IQ. This actually happens to me after some time shooting with my Fuji X-A1 (APS-C). Even the Sony RX100 showed a much better IQ than X-S1.

But bridge cameras are a compromise between zoom, dinamic range, IQ ans possibilities. With X-S1 you can do everything and do it well enough.

Just tell me a camera under 329€ that gives you something similar to this in one pack:

Macro:

Landscape:

Using 77mm heliopan polaricer

Night shooting:

Birding:

High ISO:

gunkan's gear list:gunkan's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D40 Sony a7 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
Orion12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

gunkan wrote:

I can understand that people think that X-S1 is a disappointment camera. Just give a Canon SX50, Fuji HS50 or Pana FZ200 to someone used to big sensor IQ. This actually happens to me after some time shooting with my Fuji X-A1 (APS-C). Even the Sony RX100 showed a much better IQ than X-S1.

But bridge cameras are a compromise between zoom, dinamic range, IQ ans possibilities. With X-S1 you can do everything and do it well enough.

Just tell me a camera under 329€ that gives you something similar to this in one pack:

Macro:

Landscape:

Using 77mm heliopan polaricer

Night shooting:

Birding:

High ISO:

Most Excellent Photos Gunkan

Your Points are ALL Excellent as Well. . .

Too Many NewBee Fuji ( & Other ) Bridge Camera owners Fall into the Loony Bin with False Expectations of What Their Super Zoom IS !

I personally have a Fuji HS50EXR Bridge Super Zoomee and IF I could ONLY Have ONE DSLR & ALL THE LENSES or ONLY Have my little HS50EXR. . .

"I" would Take the HS50EXR in a Heart Beat !
( btw - I Do Own a Decent DSLR - I Just Don't USE It Any More - BECAUSE I LOVE THE LENS-RANGE & Convenience of the HS50EXR )

BUT - It DID take Quite a Bit to LEARN How to USE IT in it's better lights. . .

Don't Give Up TOO EARLY PerH

Good Shooting & Cheers from Orion

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99004284@N05/<-- My HS50EXR Flicker Pics 

Orion12's gear list:Orion12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q7 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

PerH wrote:

I have been photographing for many years and had many cameras Bridge and DSLR.

PerH

I don't believe that for one minute and judging by the replies from other forum members I don't think they do either.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

PAUL TILL wrote:

PerH wrote:

I have been photographing for many years and had many cameras Bridge and DSLR.

PerH

I don't believe that for one minute and judging by the replies from other forum members I don't think they do either.

What the hell do you mean? I had an early copy of the X-S1 that I tested which was a lemon. I can´t believe you bothered writing this just over two years old thread? I have today HS30 and Panasonic FZ200 which I am very happy with.

-- hide signature --

/PerH

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads