A miracle called D800

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,165
A miracle called D800

I was reading some threads in this forum and thought while I was sleeping some miracle had happened in sensor technology. It is called D800.

Now, we won't have to worry about noise anymore even when ridiculous amount of pixels are crammed in limited sized sensors. So, just out of curiosity I looked at the Nikon site for sample images.

Surprise! Surprise! ISO320 is full of noise! (I am not even talking about higher ISO samples).

And what about DR? Has miracle happened there too?

There was a time when we denounced pixel race. Now, totally duped, we can't get enough of it. No wonder, the race still goes on.

Maybe, I need to wake up from sleep and embrace the pixel race. Or may be I should sleep till technology makes some REAL progress? Or at least I can sleep till DP Review comes up with its review of latest Canon and Nikon offerings?

(In case you are wondering, I am a doctor by profession and a Canon shooter. My gears are 5D MKII and lots of lenses. Some of my pictures are here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/sets/72157627631354985/ )

 aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tantris New Member • Posts: 13
Re: A miracle called D800

Noise grain is OK. But i don't like the flatness of the image and the dull colors.

PhotoKhan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,948
Re: A miracle called D800

aftab wrote:

Surprise! Surprise! ISO320 is full of noise!

...!?

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,948
Re: A miracle called D800

tantris wrote:

Noise grain is OK. But i don't like the flatness of the image and the dull colors.

Err...in my monitor (an Eizo CG243W) the photo distinctively has a 3D quality to...quite the opposite from flatness. Judging the colors is impossible without having a sense of the real location (...or, at least, multiple photos from the same place at around the same late afternoon hour...)

Also, I find the noise absolutely controlled, with virtually no chroma noise and just a very, very slight touch of luminance noise...and my monitor is implacable with noise.

Couldn't tell what the OP was talking about...

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,855
Re: A miracle called D800

tantris wrote:

Noise grain is OK. But i don't like the flatness of the image and the dull colors.

I think that is the elephant rock in Okinawa near dusk (or not, hard to tell)... not a lot of "vibrant colors" this time of the year in Japan unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

-CW

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Dareshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,893
Re: A miracle called D800

aftab wrote:

I was reading some threads in this forum and thought while I was sleeping some miracle had happened in sensor technology. It is called D800.

Now, we won't have to worry about noise anymore even when ridiculous amount of pixels are crammed in limited sized sensors. So, just out of curiosity I looked at the Nikon site for sample images.

Surprise! Surprise! ISO320 is full of noise! (I am not even talking about higher ISO samples).

And what about DR? Has miracle happened there too?

There was a time when we denounced pixel race. Now, totally duped, we can't get enough of it. No wonder, the race still goes on.

Maybe, I need to wake up from sleep and embrace the pixel race. Or may be I should sleep till technology makes some REAL progress? Or at least I can sleep till DP Review comes up with its review of latest Canon and Nikon offerings?

(In case you are wondering, I am a doctor by profession and a Canon shooter. My gears are 5D MKII and lots of lenses. Some of my pictures are here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/sets/72157627631354985/ )

Hmmm.............. glad your not my doctor,your diagnostic skills seem way off.

In case your wondering I'm a vet and I know BS when I see it

ukat123 Contributing Member • Posts: 761
Re: A miracle called D800

Maybe it has to do with your profession. You looked at the worse sample taken from pre-production camera. There are 2-3 bad samples out there, and the rest of the samples like the library and the bride or the woman with the cat are absolutely terrific.

Look, the samples of the 1DX are horrible as well. These marketing departments are not doing well at presenting great photos. They pretend they use pro photographers, and I noticed on 1 of the sample for the D4 that the focus was not good.

Anyway, I think you really looked for a tumour and found one. When a doctor really really want to find something wrong with a patient, he finds something wrong, because there is always something wrong with the human body. This is the same with the camera my friend. We can do the same exercise with your 5D if you want. If have had the 5D myself, not because it was a good camera. it wasn't. But because I like some canon lenses which are not available in Nikon. Sadly I sold it because not interested in video, and apart form having 21mp, the camera body, AF and metering were rubbish compared to a D700. Also the 21mp 5D photos are very very soft and not well defined compared to a D3X.

Wait to see real photos when the camera is out end of March.

rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,565
D800 Looks Much Better with Vignette .... here

I like punchy color

Andre De Angelis Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Re: A miracle called D800

I remember when the D3s was announced, some of the publicity shots showed noise and banding at ISO640.

And yet, the D3sturned out to be a phenomenal low light camera.

PhotoKhan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,948
Re: A miracle called D800

ukat123 wrote:

Look, the samples of the 1DX are horrible as well.

No, not " ...as well... ".

The D800 samples are a mixed, very good (technically and artistically) series that gives us a very good idea how the camera performs.

The 1DX samples are horrible, period .

(...They better get their act together pretty soon or another kind of tsunami will hit them before that can say "Nikon!"...)

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,888
Re: A miracle called D800

So the 5D and 5D II are not good cameras? please what else am I gonna hear in here? if that is so then the big pro wedding photographers out there should be taught a few things from you lol.
ukat123 wrote:

We can do the same exercise with your 5D if you want. If have had the 5D myself, not because it was a good camera. it wasn't. But because I like some canon lenses which are not available in Nikon. Sadly I sold it because not interested in video, and apart form having 21mp, the camera body, AF and metering were rubbish compared to a D700. Also the 21mp 5D photos are very very soft and not well defined compared to a D3X.

Wait to see real photos when the camera is out end of March.

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
ukat123 Contributing Member • Posts: 761
Re: A miracle called D800

SpartanWarrior wrote:

So the 5D and 5D II are not good cameras? please what else am I gonna hear in here? if that is so then the big pro wedding photographers out there should be taught a few things from you lol.
ukat123 wrote:

We can do the same exercise with your 5D if you want. If have had the 5D myself, not because it was a good camera. it wasn't. But because I like some canon lenses which are not available in Nikon. Sadly I sold it because not interested in video, and apart form having 21mp, the camera body, AF and metering were rubbish compared to a D700. Also the 21mp 5D photos are very very soft and not well defined compared to a D3X.

Wait to see real photos when the camera is out end of March.

Warrior

The choice a camera is to do with the type of photography that you do, your budget, etc. It is merely a tool. Also, it is a total system and the lenses are to be taken into consideration. For weddings, a 5DII is fine because of the extra pixels which allows large prints or cropping (even though these days mainstream clients are more interested in getting a cheap CD), the camera is not too heavy, nor too expensive, and most importantly, great lenses like the 70-200 or 85 f.2 work well with the camera and type of shots to be taken. It does not make the 5D technically good. It makes it fit for purpose. And, if it fits for purpose, it sells well. That is different. If the D3X had been half the price, many wedding photographers would have been using that camera instead of the 5D. No question. Anyway, one has to see why a camera is good for him or not. In my case, for landscape, even though I love the TSE 24mm which is top class and unrivalled, the 5D is not acceptable. I should say, the 5D looks OK, until you compare it with the D3X. I accept it is not the same price though.

jl_smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748
Full of noise? Hardly.

I think you might consider calibrating your monitor, especially for luminance, if you think this photo is full of noise.

-- hide signature --
 jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 674
Well...

Two years I shooting with my 5D mkII and I really want this crappy and noisy D800! 8)
--
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /

http://www.duxx-photography.com

 DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,888
Re: A miracle called D800

Well it all comes down to opinions I guess, but I actually think my 5D II is a great camera but also am very fond of Nikon as well, but I have the 70-200 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L Macro, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 24-105 IS L and I really hope the 5D III or X is much better than the 5D II, if not then I have a lot of thinking to do about whether to move to Nikon or not.

ukat123 wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

So the 5D and 5D II are not good cameras? please what else am I gonna hear in here? if that is so then the big pro wedding photographers out there should be taught a few things from you lol.
ukat123 wrote:

We can do the same exercise with your 5D if you want. If have had the 5D myself, not because it was a good camera. it wasn't. But because I like some canon lenses which are not available in Nikon. Sadly I sold it because not interested in video, and apart form having 21mp, the camera body, AF and metering were rubbish compared to a D700. Also the 21mp 5D photos are very very soft and not well defined compared to a D3X.

Wait to see real photos when the camera is out end of March.

Warrior

The choice a camera is to do with the type of photography that you do, your budget, etc. It is merely a tool. Also, it is a total system and the lenses are to be taken into consideration. For weddings, a 5DII is fine because of the extra pixels which allows large prints or cropping (even though these days mainstream clients are more interested in getting a cheap CD), the camera is not too heavy, nor too expensive, and most importantly, great lenses like the 70-200 or 85 f.2 work well with the camera and type of shots to be taken. It does not make the 5D technically good. It makes it fit for purpose. And, if it fits for purpose, it sells well. That is different. If the D3X had been half the price, many wedding photographers would have been using that camera instead of the 5D. No question. Anyway, one has to see why a camera is good for him or not. In my case, for landscape, even though I love the TSE 24mm which is top class and unrivalled, the 5D is not acceptable. I should say, the 5D looks OK, until you compare it with the D3X. I accept it is not the same price though.

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Mikael Risedal
Mikael Risedal Veteran Member • Posts: 4,384
Re: A miracle called D800, MYTH Ignorance and MYTH

Doctor of what?

IF you not have the wisdom to understand the difference between Canon's old sensor technology and compared to Sony, Aptina, Omnivisions technology so start study.

Do you understand the difference with a long-analog signal path and a short signal path? Do you understand the meaning of low read noise performance?

Do you understand the difference between the old Canon read-out and the difference to have column wise ADC directly at the sensor edge?

If you are able to read take a look at http://www.sensorgen.info/ there you have the answers regarding different sensors QE, FWC, read noise, dynamic range

Please return after you have read about the sensors then we can discuss the conditions for noise, dynamic range, etc.

Mikael
pro photographer since 1984
Nikon, Canon Hasselblad,Sinar, Leica.

aftab wrote:

I was reading some threads in this forum and thought while I was sleeping some miracle had happened in sensor technology. It is called D800.

Now, we won't have to worry about noise anymore even when ridiculous amount of pixels are crammed in limited sized sensors. So, just out of curiosity I looked at the Nikon site for sample images.

Surprise! Surprise! ISO320 is full of noise! (I am not even talking about higher ISO samples).

And what about DR? Has miracle happened there too?

There was a time when we denounced pixel race. Now, totally duped, we can't get enough of it. No wonder, the race still goes on.

Maybe, I need to wake up from sleep and embrace the pixel race. Or may be I should sleep till technology makes some REAL progress? Or at least I can sleep till DP Review comes up with its review of latest Canon and Nikon offerings?

(In case you are wondering, I am a doctor by profession and a Canon shooter. My gears are 5D MKII and lots of lenses. Some of my pictures are here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/sets/72157627631354985/ )

DeMaatin Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: A miracle called D800

Well, back to our topic.

I have pics from my Powershot G10, CR2 converted in DxO, that do look fairly close to the pre-released samples shot with the D800.

Don't get me wrong: ISO 80 (G10) looks similar to ISO 320 (D800).

The point is, that the G10 is a ridiculously resolving compact from 2008, and the D800 is a most recent high-end camera in 2012. As a landscape photographer, I was considering a switch-over to Nikon until the first NEF's were published and processed to taste.

Nikon will have a lot of homework to do. All those noise and banding issues could severely screw the company's reputation (and estimated sales figures).

Cineski2 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: A miracle called D800

In terms of how they SHOULD be? No, they're not. The 5D is a great camera but AF is sub par and anything over ISO 1600 is a joke. The 5D2, I'm sorry, I've tested and tested this camera. There are things it can do okay, but the AF was consistently slower feeling than my 5D's for some reason and the shadow noise really really sucks. Canon SHOULD be able to give us a camera that blows everything away but they haven't. A 5D with clean ISO through 12,800, images with depth that can handle post production (16 bit images would be fantastic), AF that works like a champ, throw non jello video in the mix while you're at it and.

Oh, I'm a pro wedding photographer. I know a lot of other pro wedding photographers. We all bitch about Canon. Nobody is running around shooting 1Ds3's for full frame because even the top photographers don't want to spend that amount of 3 bodies nor do they want to run around with 3 heavy bricks of a camera. Canon really shot themselves in the foot with their dumbed down feature set trying to coerce photographers into buying a 1Ds3 because Canon shooters are frustrated with the system (and the 580EX2 flash issues).

That said, people are really routing for Canon, myself included. But Canon must remove head from posterior in order to move forward in a pace that they SHOULD be.

SpartanWarrior wrote:

So the 5D and 5D II are not good cameras? please what else am I gonna hear in here? if that is so then the big pro wedding photographers out there should be taught a few things from you lol.

Marcin 3M
Marcin 3M Senior Member • Posts: 1,491
Re: A miracle called D800

DeMaatin wrote:

Well, back to our topic.

I have pics from my Powershot G10, CR2 converted in DxO, that do look fairly close to the pre-released samples shot with the D800.

Don't get me wrong: ISO 80 (G10) looks similar to ISO 320 (D800).

On G11 low iso with propre NR looks almost perfectly clean. G10 is very close at this ISO settings... Also this tiny lens works perfectly, giving sharp image. So overal l conclusion is deeply appreciating D800 IQ.

The point is, that the G10 is a ridiculously resolving compact from 2008, and the D800 is a most recent high-end camera in 2012. As a landscape photographer, I was considering a switch-over to Nikon until the first NEF's were published and processed to taste.

Exactly. But sensor's resolution is not a problem for some time - but it's combination with other image parameters is still a problem.

Nikon will have a lot of homework to do. All those noise and banding issues could severely screw the company's reputation (and estimated sales figures).

Speaking about banding I'm sure, that You are thinking about different camera brand rather than Nikon...

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

 Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
ukat123 Contributing Member • Posts: 761
Re: A miracle called D800

DeMaatin wrote:

Well, back to our topic.

I have pics from my Powershot G10, CR2 converted in DxO, that do look fairly close to the pre-released samples shot with the D800.

Don't get me wrong: ISO 80 (G10) looks similar to ISO 320 (D800).

The point is, that the G10 is a ridiculously resolving compact from 2008, and the D800 is a most recent high-end camera in 2012. As a landscape photographer, I was considering a switch-over to Nikon until the first NEF's were published and processed to taste.

Nikon will have a lot of homework to do. All those noise and banding issues could severely screw the company's reputation (and estimated sales figures).

Noise and banding issues? I don't like this particular picture, but I don't know what you are trolling. I don't think you realise very well the size of the photo you are looking at. I suggest you print it on your wall and you will see what I am talking about. If you were to reduce the size a bit you would see there is no noise. It is like looking at you HD plasma with your eyes right on the screen....you would not like what you would see neither. Who would do that? It seems like you are that kind of person.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads