NEX-7 is overheating in video mode!

Started Feb 24, 2012 | Discussions
Shield3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
NEX-7 is overheating in video mode!

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the battery life was @ around 28%.

Lens - The E-mount Sony 50mm F/1.8

60p manual video mode, AVCHD. F/1.8 aperture, 1/125 shutter speed.
800 ISO, 69 degree room temperature.

Overheat icon came on at around 5 minutes, then it completely shut off with the overheating warning at around the 8:30 mark.

Let it cool for about 2 minutes, switched to 24p. Overheated and shut off within 5 minutes.

This is no better than the 5n I had.

I cannot imagine a technical reason that the battery being low would cause this.

Thoughts?

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cultureshot Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: NEX-7 is overheating in video mode!

Overheating is an issue with the 5N, but I haven't heard much about the 7 doing the same, let alone overheating at only 8 minutes!

My 5N will (generally) show the overheating icon at around 15 minutes of continuous recording in 24p. Sometimes it makes it to the full 29 minute limit, other times it powers off at around 20-25 minutes.

Obviously, shooting in 60p puts more strain on the device, so overheating would happen sooner. I've found that extending the screen all the way up and out helps to dissipate some of the heat.

cultureshot's gear list:cultureshot's gear list
Canon EOS 60D
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Yes, the Nex-7 has an issue when battery is at low level...the Shutter has frozen on me a couple times with low battery...changed battery and back on track...probably all that it is?...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

DuncanDovovan
DuncanDovovan Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

I don't think the overheating warning is because of the battery.

Was the camera already warm for some other reason?

OP Shield3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,440

Man I'm hoping that's all it is - the video and pictures are flat out stunning. She's recharging right now; will do some more tests.

Perhaps these tests of sitting on a desk and letting it record aren't really the same as shooting with pans, varying light, adjusting ISO and focus etc. while recording? Because I was doing all those things. Not a lot, but more than I normally would.

Also there is a sensor cleaning option that I was looking at and it did say the battery was too low to do it, so maybe that's all it is.

Please oh please I hope that's all it is. Low batt.

LTZ470 wrote:

Yes, the Nex-7 has an issue when battery is at low level...the Shutter has frozen on me a couple times with low battery...changed battery and back on track...probably all that it is?...
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more

Nope, I even opened the front door to let some light and cool air blow through the house. It's chilly here in Ohio, and the thermometer said the house was 66 degrees.

DuncanDovovan wrote:

FeedMe Senior Member • Posts: 2,474

18C - sweet!!

That ambient temp shouldn't have affected the camera.

Note, though, that the lower a battery is, the faster it heats up when power is drawn from it, maybe that contributed?

I'm trying to collect a list of good and bad points (for me to make a decision) - the good we know..

So far it's no custom mode, possible over heating.

I don't use video at all, so the latter won't affect me.
I love custom modes, so the first is a low point..

Shield3 wrote:

Nope, I even opened the front door to let some light and cool air blow through the house. It's chilly here in Ohio, and the thermometer said the house was 66 degrees.

DuncanDovovan wrote:

CameraBuff Regular Member • Posts: 271

I have seen that warning on the NEX-5N but 5 minutes seems unusual. Also, you can try flipping the LCD a bit to help with cooling when shooting video.

DuncanDovovan
DuncanDovovan Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

Do you have the 2-part leather case that is attached to the camera at all times?

LoMiTy New Member • Posts: 5

My 5N did the same thing when it was new. The warning icon came on after 3 minutes and it shut down at 5. It was a cool day and the LCD was open. I took it home and ran it through nearly 10 cycles trying to find a pattern. I would let it shut down, then cool 2~3 minutes, then record again until it shutdown.

At first it seemed to be worse on a fully charged battery. I also tried lower spec video modes thinking it may be processor load related but it didn't seem to matter. What I noticed is recordings kept getting longer. At one point it recorded to 21 minutes, cooled 2 minutes and then went a full 29 minutes.

Now the icon somewhat consistently appears at 15 minutes and it records at least 21 minutes before shutting down. I have not had the 5 minute issue since. Not sure if it somehow 'learned' from the thermal cycles or if there is thermal paste that 'set' or something else but it worked for me.

Finally there are several threads in this forum with test results, etc. Worth a search.

Good luck.

No, I just have the stock NEX-7.

DuncanDovovan wrote:

Do you have the 2-part leather case that is attached to the camera at all times?

Some more tests after a battery was fully charged:

50mm lens, 1080p60, 1/125 shutter:
LCD closed
about 12 minutes - no overheat icon, just shut off with "allow camera to cool".

1/2 hour later:
Different memory card (32GB sandisk extreme)
16mm F/2.8, 1080p60, 1/125 shutter:
LCD open for first 15 minutes - no overheat icon, worked perfectly.
At 15 minutes I closed the LCD
18 minute mark - overheat icon came on

On a whim, I lowered the shutter speed all the way to 1/4. Overheat icon WENT AWAY. Switched back to 1/125.
Got the full 29:50 or whatever.

So it's down to leaving the LCD open for long recording time (which is manageable) or something about using an OSS lens (like the 50) that is causing the problem.

Next test will be:
Fully charged battery
LCD screen open
50mm lens, 1080p60, 1/125 shutter
32GB Sandisk extreme card

Will report back in. Hopefully just extending the LCD will get me the extended recording time that I'm after, as I rarely record that long in a single take anyway. Just trying to get repeatable results before I sell my GH2

Well I've done lots of tests now. It's tough with one battery (others are en route) but I will say this - if you plan on shooting longer than 5 minutes, it's probably best to open up the LCD panel.

I shot a few 29:50 videos at both 1080p60 1/125 and 1080p24 1/50 (both highest bitrate) and saw the temperature warning indicator come on after around 15 minutes, but it never did shut off. This is with the LCD screen open.

I have a hunch in a very warm environment it'd shut off faster. But overall, it's a keeper, and I'm pretty damn impressed with the video. And this is from a GH2 owner since last April.

I am not one for lots of color grading in video. Could you get a better image with the GH2 if hacked and then graded? Sure. Hacked or stock and not graded? I'll take the NEX-7.

Shield3 wrote:

Well I've done lots of tests now. It's tough with one battery (others are en route) but I will say this - if you plan on shooting longer than 5 minutes, it's probably best to open up the LCD panel.

I shot a few 29:50 videos at both 1080p60 1/125 and 1080p24 1/50 (both highest bitrate) and saw the temperature warning indicator come on after around 15 minutes, but it never did shut off. This is with the LCD screen open.

I have a hunch in a very warm environment it'd shut off faster. But overall, it's a keeper, and I'm pretty damn impressed with the video. And this is from a GH2 owner since last April.

I am not one for lots of color grading in video. Could you get a better image with the GH2 if hacked and then graded? Sure. Hacked or stock and not graded? I'll take the NEX-7.

Talk about comprehensive!! Well done!

Would you possibly, please, do another test?

I don't use video at all, so the overheat thing won't bother me, but.. what if that carries over to high speed modes?

Would you kindly run a number (you choose, about 3-6) concurrent high speed shots, one after the other, at max FPS? And report any problems noted..

Thanks.

Sorry - when I asked for shots, I didn't mean singles shots but shot bursts, 10 fps for as many as can be done, then repeated.

Thanks.

RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,879

Shield3 wrote:

I think it's typical behavior for the NEX-7. I ran a similar test when I got one and it could run the full 30 minutes (at 72F) but if I started it again immediately, it shut down in a few minutes.

It's a little better than the NEX-5N, but it can still overheat if you just let it run continually.

To me, the stock GH2 at 24P is miles ahead of the NEX7 (and everything else for that matter) as far as detail goes. The GH2 is sharp and smooth, no real aliasing. But the other modes are pretty similar.

-- hide signature --
timewaster Regular Member • Posts: 427

does the overheat problem occurs in 640x480 also?

that would surprise me since my 5 year old canon g7 can record 640x480 for 1 hour with no overheating issues.

i don't think they should advertise in their specs that the camera can record up to 30 mins in HD. that would be misleading if it cannot handle it.

muellerfilm New Member • Posts: 18

I have been doing a lot of testing with the NEX7 as well and I have found that there must be something to the repeated video shooting. I found when I first got the NEX7 and tested the video running time the camera would make it to the 29:51 limit. I would then start video mode again over heat icon showing after three minutes or so then after 5 minutes camera would stop recording and shut down. I would let the camera rest a few minutes then start back up again camera would make it to the 9-minute mark.

I have also seen the as the battery runs down the recording time would seem longer. But I now see that as the more that I am recording the NEX7 seem to be breaking in as now I have had the camera running for over two hours and it has made to the 29:51 limit four times. Also the camera has been running the entire time and has not shut off. Also this entire time no overheat icon.

One more thing to note. I have GH2 as well and that camera will not overheat at all. I shot a play two and half-hours with two of them and had them running the whole time. But there is a big problem with that camera the video out of the camera will shift to this saturated look after it continually runs. This will not work for me. And so far the video of the NEX7 does not have this problem.

There's more to video than detail. There's color and character, and the Sony beats the snot out of the GH2 in those regards. I have had 4 GH2's since April of last year and I just could never find a color profile I liked and I hated not having focus peaking or being able to adjust ISO while shooting. The NEX-7 just looks better to me out of the box without hacking or color grading, so that's what I'm going with.

To me, the stock GH2 at 24P is miles ahead of the NEX7 (and everything else for that matter) as far as detail goes. The GH2 is sharp and smooth, no real aliasing. But the other modes are pretty similar.

This is interesting and frustrating, as it seems people have just set this camera on a table and let it sit for 29 minutes and don't have any problems. But if you are running and gunning, moving the body around, experiencing varying light sources etc. the sensor overheats faster. So if you take it out for "run and gun" work, you might not get the full 29 minutes. Hell, film moving action and it heats up faster too.

I can say though a cold camera (i.e. not being used for a couple of hours) on a full charge filming a static scene will almost always get you 29 minutes.

It's also strange that dropping the shutter speed way down will make the overheat icon disappear.
Shawn

muellerfilm wrote:

I have been doing a lot of testing with the NEX7 as well and I have found that there must be something to the repeated video shooting. I found when I first got the NEX7 and tested the video running time the camera would make it to the 29:51 limit. I would then start video mode again over heat icon showing after three minutes or so then after 5 minutes camera would stop recording and shut down. I would let the camera rest a few minutes then start back up again camera would make it to the 9-minute mark.

I have also seen the as the battery runs down the recording time would seem longer. But I now see that as the more that I am recording the NEX7 seem to be breaking in as now I have had the camera running for over two hours and it has made to the 29:51 limit four times. Also the camera has been running the entire time and has not shut off. Also this entire time no overheat icon.

One more thing to note. I have GH2 as well and that camera will not overheat at all. I shot a play two and half-hours with two of them and had them running the whole time. But there is a big problem with that camera the video out of the camera will shift to this saturated look after it continually runs. This will not work for me. And so far the video of the NEX7 does not have this problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads