Anyone upgrading from D700?

Started Feb 24, 2012 | Discussions
thesportsguy1236 Forum Member • Posts: 57
Anyone upgrading from D700?

Anyone selling an old D700 with relatively low mileage?

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William Faulkner Senior Member • Posts: 1,676
Re: Anyone upgrading from D700?

thesportsguy1236 wrote:

Yep, mine only has a little over 150,000 actuations on the shutter.

It's just broken in.

Going on eBay the day after the D4 is in my hands.

Bill F

https://picasaweb.google.com/faulknerstudios

William Faulkner's gear list:William Faulkner's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
user_name Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134

Yes and they are dumping them on eBay. That is where I got mine. Good luck!

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +1 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Yes, less than 9,000 actuations

thesportsguy1236 wrote:

I'll be selling a mint condition D700 after I receive the D800E. Pre-ordered at B&H a few minutes after they were listed.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

OP thesportsguy1236 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Well, reason I ask is because my publisher (I work for a paper) is going to probably upgrade me to a D700 (i currently shoot with a D200).

He's a little sketchy on buying them second-handed but I've had no problem with my D200 I bought off ebay.

What are some of your asking prices? I'd imagine with over 150,000 clicks, i'd be under $2,000

Dennis2958 Contributing Member • Posts: 550

I will be selling mine too. It has just over 20k actual, verifiable, actuations on it. I will be selling it after I get one of the first D800's out via my NPS preorder priority. I expect the store will be shipping it to me on March 22. PM me if you are seriously interested.

dennis

http://macdonaldimages.com/

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,536

I sold mine with under 10,000 actuations for about $2K. There are plenty of them right now on fredmiranda, nikoncafe, and other for sale forums. My local craigslist had over 15 of them at the same time the last time I checked about a week ago.
--

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 +20 more
Patrick McMahon
Patrick McMahon Senior Member • Posts: 1,340

I think cost wise the best bet is to be on constant craigslist surveillance. When they first started selling I saw one in the bay area with less than 25,000 shutters for $1,650.

Also, put an add up - "Willing to buy for " you'd be suprised it works sometimes and it don't cost a thing

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Patrick

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Upgrading to what?

As many DPR forum members would like to believe, Nikon have yet to update the D700. Haven't you heard? The D800 is NOT an upgrade to the D700.

I want the D4 sensor in a D700 body. Hurry up Nikon. I want it. I want it NOW!!!!

Re: Upgrading to what?

My point was...was anyone upgrading meaning buying a new camera and selling their old D700.

Dan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,811

I think he knew what you meant.

Me I've already sold a D700 and D7000...and counting the days for a D800 to join my D3...at which point I think I won't need another camera ever!

Actually I haven't "needed" another camera since my E1 but once I get the D800 with the D3 I believe I won't even "want" another camera!

Dan

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
GoPro Fusion

I really want a D3s...but it's too far out of our price range I think. Besides, I've been told a D700 with a grip comes pretty close to matching the ability of a D3s.

user_name Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134

Buying used is a bit of a crapshoot. It takes time to cull out the bad ones and when you zero in on one that looks good there is always the possibility that it may have an issue, like the one I just bought.

For a quick idea on prices go to eBay and check the Advanced Search with the Completed Listings check box checked.

All the prices in green are sold cameras. Next check their conditions. Right now low shutter count cameras are going for about $2,000. I paid $2,025 for mine.

From a business standpoint, everything is a risk. You have to determine what the risk is and the cost of failure. If you business can not tolerate failure it may be better to pay for a new one than have to pay for a repair and downtime waiting for a repair.

New also gives you a warranty.

Finally, you can buy a new camera from a reputable dealer in about 15 minutes and be assured that it will probably work out of the box.

Buying used will eat up a lot of hours tracking down the right camera. Ask e how I know. The difference is I spent many hours on my time. You may be on the clock, so to speak, so instead of earning money for the company doing whatever it is you do for your boss, you are now diverted to a task that does not generate revenue. How much does that cost?

In the end there are hidden costs with buying used. You may get a lemon that requires repair or return. You may get a good deal, but it may take a lot of time to find that good deal. It may take a few weeks for a repair.

For $2,000 you get a used camera with some unknowns. For $700 you get a new one with a warranty, no wasted time trying to find a deal, and the highest probability of putting it to work earning the company money.

The other option is a refurbished camera with a limited warranty. That would run $2,300 to $2,400.

Only you and your boss can answer those questions.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +1 more
William Faulkner Senior Member • Posts: 1,676

Hard to say what selling a D700 with this many actuations on eBay will bring.

It's going to be with the MB-D10, 3) EN-EL3 batts, 8gig Sand Disk card, new strap and an unused LCD protector set. Plus everything that the D700 came with when it was new.

I think there'll be plenty of D700 up for sale. But there's going to be a lot of people wanting to get a used D700.

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Bill F

https://picasaweb.google.com/faulknerstudios

William Faulkner's gear list:William Faulkner's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Deleted17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
Not upgrading... Augmenting...

D700 does what it does best and D800 may do what it is hyped to do...

If not, I find the extra 3 grand and get the D4...

Deleted17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
Was it dropped or dunked or frozen?

That's the big issue with used stuff. The delta is just insurance that Nikon will guarantee that it takes excellent pix.

Dan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,811

I got a very good deal on a used D3...had been checking out a D2H with a couple Nikon lens and still had all my Oly stuff.

One test of the D3 in the parking lot behind my house of a guy learning to ride a motorcycle dusk around 30 to 35 mph with every frame dead nuts on at 9 fps was enough for me to sell every piece of Olympus kit I had.

The D3 was / is just amazing...I look forward to the D800 for pano's with wide angle lens and a more "patient" approach to scenics...should be interesting.

The D3 and even the Olympus stuff met almost all my needs but the AF of the Nikon is in another world for continuous especially...just doesn't slow down and nails it each and every time.

I had the D700 for a very short time...more to just check out the size. I think it's going to be great with a prime or two in the bag and one on it of course!

Hopefully, I'll get a chance or two with it and the 200f4 micro also.

Good luck with getting the D700. The one thing it seems to me at least looking at FM the D700 hasn't taken a great "hit" on price because the D800 is so different. Had the D800 been just a few more MP's maybe the D700 would have taken a larger hit...as we get closer to release I'd expect the used price to drop some more though. Only time will tell how much though.

Good luck,

Dan

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
GoPro Fusion
Rich Lanthier Veteran Member • Posts: 3,820

Yep, once I have delivery of D4, the D700 is gone, less than 30K....

thesportsguy1236 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rich Lanthier
Having fun with photos.

I'm pretty excited to hopefully get a D700 soon...need to find a grip as well to boost the FPS. I'll be using it for sports...and from the feedback I've gotten and the comparisons I've read about...a D700 with a grip nearly matches the D3s performance wise.

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

D700 already sold for $1850, also just sold my Canon Full HD handycam for $550 and my Sony hadycam HDDV for $259, so I am ready for the D800. I don’t understand why the “upgrading” word is a matter for argument with some, when you sell your actual device to buy the latest one, it is call upgrading.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads