G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions
Don Ellis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Figuring a new camera might write faster, and therefore take advantage of faster cards, I bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SD card, with a 95MB/sec. rating. Then I went home and tested what I already owned.

Fortunately for testing purposes, the two other cards I had were both 16GB like the new one. I formatted each card in the G1X before using, set the G1X on Continuous shooting, and fired off 20 shots before clicking the stopwatch.

SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk Extreme III (30MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk: Ultra II (15MB/s): 22 seconds.

So, basically one second per shot, shooting RAW+Large JPG.

The only difference I saw with the slowest card was that the "Busy" bar appeared several times, but it still only took a second or two more to shoot 20 frames.

Note that this is a casual test, but I performed it three times on each card. Also note that video may benefit from higher-speed cards -- I didn't test video.

Cheers,
Don

 Don Ellis's gear list:Don Ellis's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1
Flashback
Flashback Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Thanks, that's worth noting...

 Flashback's gear list:Flashback's gear list
Leica X1 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +2 more
gordonsbuck Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Thanks, Don. This is the kind of straightforward test that we all appreciate.

-- hide signature --
BG454 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,345
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk Extreme III (30MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk: Ultra II (15MB/s): 22 seconds.

So, basically one second per shot, shooting RAW+Large JPG.

The only difference I saw with the slowest card was that the "Busy" bar appeared several times, but it still only took a second or two more to shoot 20 frames.

Thanks for that information.

I've always thought those Sandisk Ultra cards are good value for money - I have several.

However, both the Ultra series and the 'regular' (blue cased) cards are both rated as "Class 4", I'm curious as to whether there is a measurable difference in write speeds between the two of those.
Any takers?
--

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

 BG454's gear list:BG454's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +17 more
MrSkelter Contributing Member • Posts: 705
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Thank you.

It sucks that the only benefit fast cards offer in compacts is faster downloads. I can't wait to get my G1 X but can't believe it's no faster than my too-damn-slow S90.

I think this is the last generation of this complacency. Rumors suggest the iPhone camera - the world's most popular - is about to get fast. That'll mean even lower sales of compacts if they don't raise their game.

The G1 X should be better. Given its price-point the m4/3 and Nikon competition are either fast (the PENS) or insane (the Nikon).

Still, my 105MB/s 64 GB will be there when they get better.

Is the CHDK project going to target the G1 X? If so can this be worked on?

gadgets
gadgets Regular Member • Posts: 299
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

I read on this forum a few years back that someone had asked canon if it was worth buying higher speed cards for their P&S cams. Canon's response was supposedly that it would NOT make any difference because the limiting factor was write speed of the camera hardware.

Canon (supposedly) said it does matter for DSLR because of the better hardware, but would only be noticeable during burst shooting. Or something to that effect, I can't remember exactly.
This was before HD video capability was becoming mainstream.

I'm not sure where these high-end P&S and mirrorless cameras fall within this range of SD card writing capability.

BG454 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,345
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

gadgets wrote:

I read on this forum a few years back that someone had asked canon if it was worth buying higher speed cards for their P&S cams. Canon's response was supposedly that it would NOT make any difference because the limiting factor was write speed of the camera hardware.

Canon (supposedly) said it does matter for DSLR because of the better hardware, but would only be noticeable during burst shooting. Or something to that effect, I can't remember exactly.
This was before HD video capability was becoming mainstream.

I'm not sure where these high-end P&S and mirrorless cameras fall within this range of SD card writing capability.

You'd hope that it (the G1X) would have a higher performance than lesser P&S models, but sadly it appears not to be the case. No wonder the raw file write times are slow compared to an SLR.
--

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

 BG454's gear list:BG454's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +17 more
RJL65 Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

Don Ellis wrote:

Figuring a new camera might write faster, and therefore take advantage of faster cards, I bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SD card, with a 95MB/sec. rating. Then I went home and tested what I already owned.

Fortunately for testing purposes, the two other cards I had were both 16GB like the new one. I formatted each card in the G1X before using, set the G1X on Continuous shooting, and fired off 20 shots before clicking the stopwatch.

SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk Extreme III (30MB/s): 21 seconds.
SanDisk: Ultra II (15MB/s): 22 seconds.

So, basically one second per shot, shooting RAW+Large JPG.

The only difference I saw with the slowest card was that the "Busy" bar appeared several times, but it still only took a second or two more to shoot 20 frames.

Note that this is a casual test, but I performed it three times on each card. Also note that video may benefit from higher-speed cards -- I didn't test video.

These results simply mean that the Canon G1x does not take any advantage whatsoever of any UHS SDHC or SDXC card. It also means that those "Class 4" Ultra IIs manufactured in early 2010 have a lower file-to-file latency (and therefore faster in multiple file transfers and sequential shooting) than most Class 6 and even some Class 10 cards. Sadly, the old Ultra II was replaced by an Ultra that's much slower in writes despite its "30 MB/s" speed claim and Class 6 rating.

RJL65 Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: G1X SD Card Write Speed -- Photos

RJL65 wrote:

These results simply mean that the Canon G1x does not take any advantage whatsoever of any UHS SDHC or SDXC card. It also means that those "Class 4" Ultra IIs manufactured in early 2010 have a lower file-to-file latency (and therefore faster in multiple file transfers and sequential shooting) than most Class 6 and even some Class 10 cards. Sadly, the old Ultra II was replaced by an Ultra that's much slower in writes despite its "30 MB/s" speed claim and Class 6 rating.

In addition, I picked up an 8GB verion of the Extreme Pro 95 MB/s SDHC card in addition to the very latest Extreme (a 16GB 45 MB/s successor to the previous 30 MB/s card). The results in a USB 3.0 card reader so far is a bit disappointing for the 8GB 95 MB/s card: I could never achieve any faster than 56 MB/s out of that card in reads or 51 MB/s in writes. The Extreme (non-Pro) 45 MB/s card is much, much closer to its speed claim - 45 MB/s read and 41 MB/s write.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads