D7000 + 35mm/1.8 - what AF correction do you use?

Started Feb 18, 2012 | Discussions
dbbarron Contributing Member • Posts: 548
D7000 + 35mm/1.8 - what AF correction do you use?

Calibrated the D7000 with 35mm/1.8 - slight backfocus - corrected with -5 setting.

Took a few shots in an industrial museum today after calibrating - was able to get much better focus point control - see pic - focus point on pinion gear. About 1 foot distance at f/1.8; ISO 6400.

dbbarron's gear list:dbbarron's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: D7000 + 35mm/1.8 - what AF correction do you use?

Mine needed -20. Pretty sharp now, but wish I could try further beyond -20.

bballstuffer New Member • Posts: 7

mine also needs -20 and is still back focusing, also has some general back focusing with my other lenses, I have done some test photos and is bringing my D7000 into Nikon this Friday, hopefully they can fix them all

bballstuffer's gear list:bballstuffer's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Peter v.d Werf Contributing Member • Posts: 714

dbbarron wrote:

Calibrated the D7000 with 35mm/1.8 - slight backfocus - corrected with -5 setting.

-2 on mine.

But just out of curiousity. What do you intend gain from getting answers? A possible miscalibrations is unique to each individual lens/camera combo.

Say you get 20 replies with an average of +5 adjustment.

Would you then adjust your own finetuning altough you know it isn't optimal for your specific combo?

Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 2,006

I suspect the reason why the adjustment goes + - 20 is because that covers most of the tolerance differences between lenses and bodies. + - 5 is nothing to worry about IMO.

Now if you are at + - 20 you might think about having Nikon take a look. Especially if it is with more than one lens and/or you feel like you need more adjustment than + -20.

OP dbbarron Contributing Member • Posts: 548

Peter v.d Werf wrote:

But just out of curiousity. What do you intend gain from getting answers? A possible miscalibrations is unique to each individual lens/camera combo.

Just wanted to see if my body was ballpark normal.

dbbarron's gear list:dbbarron's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
ericcironephotography Regular Member • Posts: 135

Same here, -20. I might send my D7000 into Nikon. Seems pretty extreme.

nfpotter wrote:

Mine needed -20. Pretty sharp now, but wish I could try further beyond -20.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 650

I think it's an interesting question, dbbarron--if you could assemble sufficient data points, it'd be intriguing to see if there were any pattern.

For what it's worth, mine likes a -5 correction. Something else: I've read a few threads, now, with people talking about the corrections they've employed for this lens, and I've never seen anyone using a + value. Anyone out there using + ?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Cheers!

M.

dbbarron wrote:

Peter v.d Werf wrote:

blacknest New Member • Posts: 23

-20 (on 2 different D7000 bodies). Had the lens checked by Nikon service (UK) and they confirmed lens was calibrated correctly!

Antoine Palade Contributing Member • Posts: 589

Yeah, I also read the US Lensrental article about tolerances between lenses and bodies and how they ought to be acceptable. Thing is, I never had this issue of needing to calibrate my lenses with my D300 or D300s, or D700 - only with the D7000, where my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 needs -8 and I just could not get consistent sharp focusing on the new Nikkor 50mm f1.8G no matter the setting.

The short of it is, I've sent my D7000 to Nikon for calibration...

tr4driver
tr4driver Contributing Member • Posts: 575

Kurt

Nightrider72 Regular Member • Posts: 130

daylight: -5
tungsten: -10

Nightrider72's gear list:Nightrider72's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Apple iPhone 5 +2 more
Peter v.d Werf Contributing Member • Posts: 714

dbbarron wrote:

Peter v.d Werf wrote:

Unfortunately it says little about just your body as the lens is the second factor..

You really shouldn't look at other peoples combo too much, as just your own is relevant for you. Other peoples AFtune settings have absolutely no influence whatsoever on your output. If you get sharp images at -15 then mission accomplished.

The only then when you need to worry is when your lens/camera combo is unable to get sharp results even with AFtuning at it's limits. Then it's time to let your local Nikon Service Point have a look.

aeschylus Regular Member • Posts: 236

None at all – seemingly one of a very small minority.

ChillOne Regular Member • Posts: 105

-11 for me

MarceloLI
MarceloLI Veteran Member • Posts: 4,917
Nightrider72

Nightrider72 wrote:

That's mean you have to change the calibration depending the lighting conditions??

It is a normal procedure in Nikon cameras or just the D7000? I can't believe a $1400 camera has some many issues and discrepancies with AF, WB.

Some people state this is a "very sophisticated camera" but I never had this issues with my modest professional Olympus cameras.

-- hide signature --

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Mollysnoot2 Regular Member • Posts: 128

ChillOne wrote:

-11 for me

Me too. All my other lenses (have five in total) are just fine and need no adjustment. Agree with the previous post that nobody even seems to need a + adjustment.

M

Mollysnoot2's gear list:Mollysnoot2's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Adobe Photoshop CS6
Nightrider72 Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Nightrider72

Yes, it works better if I fine tune to -10 when under tungsten light.
I don't know if other cameras are prone to this kind of behavior...

MarceloLI wrote:

Nightrider72 wrote:

That's mean you have to change the calibration depending the lighting conditions??

It is a normal procedure in Nikon cameras or just the D7000? I can't believe a $1400 camera has some many issues and discrepancies with AF, WB.

Some people state this is a "very sophisticated camera" but I never had this issues with my modest professional Olympus cameras.

-- hide signature --

Nightrider72's gear list:Nightrider72's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Apple iPhone 5 +2 more
shutter bee New Member • Posts: 7

I was disappointed with soft images without fine tuning the lens on a d7000. I jumped to -20 and found acceptable results.

I'm suprised the lens needed that much correction. And, because I hit the limit on how much the lens could be corrected, I am wondering if it could get even sharper?

Also, I hope I fine tuned the lens for a universal range of subjects. This was more for full body portraits, at f/1.8-2.8.

I don't want to have to re-tune the lens every time I shoot a different subject.

I have little experience with this, as most lenses have worked on my other Nikons without adjustment...

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

shutter bee wrote:

I was disappointed with soft images without fine tuning the lens on a d7000. I jumped to -20 and found acceptable results.

I'm suprised the lens needed that much correction. And, because I hit the limit on how much the lens could be corrected, I am wondering if it could get even sharper?

Also, I hope I fine tuned the lens for a universal range of subjects. This was more for full body portraits, at f/1.8-2.8.

I don't want to have to re-tune the lens every time I shoot a different subject.

I have little experience with this, as most lenses have worked on my other Nikons without adjustment...

I have this lens and it's bang on with the D90 and I've torture tested it I can assure you

I've not spent enough time with a D7k but I would not expect to have to make an adjustment to that degree. Something seems wrong there

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads