Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions
Desifinado Contributing Member • Posts: 965
and here's another reason

I can buy a 46" flat screen TV AND a Blu-Ray player for $800.

HA!

gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

LOL - the forums here are among the worst I have seen for trollers (or the intellectually challenged) being able to stir up a tempest in a teapot.

On a car board, would anyone take seriously the proposition that a Porsche 911 is a rip off because you can buy a Chevy Suburban for half the price and it carries more stuff?

 gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

I do have to agree the idea of a big sensor in a G series model is a decent one.
But they price oh my did they really think that's going to cut it?

It's too expensive and by quite a lot so roll on price cuts that's what I say.

Also whilst the low light performance looks good (jpegs could be better) the DR looks rather poor to my eyes.

With some tweaking and a serious price cut it's a decent deal, but I'd still get a DSLR for that price every day of the week

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,291
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Sorry, didn't read through this entire thread, but the link to the T3i on ebay now reads $799.

However, I do agree about owning a DSLR since that's what I do. In time the G1X will come down in price and be more "affordable".

Still, look what people are paying for the Fuji X100. That I've never understood.

Lenscraft
Lenscraft Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: and here's another reason

Desifinado wrote:

I can buy a 46" flat screen TV AND a Blu-Ray player for $800.
HA!

This thread has gotten to the point where I honestly can't tell if Desifinado is a really bad troll or a really brilliant master of sarcasm.

Coyote

 Lenscraft's gear list:Lenscraft's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
Nell27
Nell27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,708
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

With some tweaking and a serious price cut it's a decent deal, but I'd still get a DSLR for that price every day of the week

I think even Canon agrees with some of what you're saying.

The G1 X isn't meant to be a replacement for a DSLR, it's more of a smaller substitute for a DSLR.

It's not going to be as good as a DSLR, for all things, but with the fixed zoom lens and large sensor it will much better than any other compact for a person who doesn't want to use their DSLR.

To be honest, I think the price is a little high but when you consider the G1 X is the first large sensor fixed zoom lens camera, the premium price may be justified.

I don't put a lot of faith in all the technical test and it seems that different reviewers have different opinions but I'd bet the G1 X turns out to be a pretty good camera.

Canon may not be perfect but they don't make many bad cameras.

Rehabdoc Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Nell27 wrote:

To be honest, I think the price is a little high but when you consider the G1 X is the first large sensor fixed zoom lens camera, the premium price may be justified.

Price seems to be in line with what is currently being charged for similarly miniaturized components, plus some markup.

Most comparable lens from a manufacturing and "guts" standpoint is the 14-42 panny pancake, and the Canon is more impressive glass. Closest small hardware body overall would be G3, same body size, slightly smaller sensor, With articulated screen, and VF no metal body. Or compare to Panny GX1 metal body without swivel screen or VF.

Easily $900.

g1X at $800 is fairly priced for what goes into it for the current state of tech.

Canon may not be perfect but they don't make many bad cameras.

Agreed.

Blunt Instrument Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

That's your opinion, and your opinion doesn't make it a 'bad deal'.

drowe Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

It is my belief that the GX or G12 has a place in any photographers bag. I own the 7d, 40d and 20d. All have the vertical group. There are times when that set up is just too much. For instance if I'm going to a museum, ball game, day in the city, etc, I may not want to carry around my 7d/ vertical grip and zoom lens.

It is with that in my I am actually thinking about getting the G12

Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,729
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

So what?
pixelmess hasn't bothered to reply for 3 days
pixelmess has not written any articles for DPR
pixelmess has not written any user reviews for DPR
pixelmess has not submitted any challenge entries for DPR
pixelmess has not uploaded any photos to a DPR gallery
pixelmess has not listed any gear used or currently owned on DPR
pixelmess has listed no 'Photo gear I want' on DPR
pixelmess has listed no cameras, printers or accessories once owned on DPR
pixelmess has listed no subscriptions on DPR
--
Cyril

nimnar Senior Member • Posts: 1,580
BAD DEAL..because of the zoom lens quality

I noticed in the studio comparison shots that the images shot using the X1 were are compared to cameras mounted with prime lenses, and the X1 lost every time. So in the meantime I'll stick with my 230SX for my small camera and the 40D otherwise.
--
Nimnar

 nimnar's gear list:nimnar's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Michel F Senior Member • Posts: 2,019
Re: Let me try again

sarlo100 wrote:

Michel F wrote:

I understand your point of view. I also have a DSLR and a few good lenses (Nikon) as well as an S95 and I can fully appreciate what this new camera could do for me (better images than my S95 though not as small and less clutter than my DSLR system), yet I find the OP's concern with pricing fully justified. Here in Canada the camera is available for pre-order at a price of $800. No matter how good the camera is I can't see this as being good value especially when funds are limited. Still I think Canon knows it will sell a lot of these anyway and profit is the bottom line.

I might buy a used one in a year or 2 but right now I couldn't justify the inflated price tag. When I think about the awesome lens I could buy for that price I want it even less.

The difference between you and pixelmess is that you explained your position in a rational manner and in regards of what will work for you. He trolled and ran. As it stands, there are certainly a lot of people out there who agree with you and think this price tag is excessive, and will wait until it drops in 6-8 months. More power to them. I don't think I'll ever need it, I got too sweet of a deal on a m4/3 to be terribly interested. Doesn't mean I'm not damn glad to see this model make it to market. More choice is a win for all of us.

Actually I'm really interested in this camera and think it would make the ultimate infrared machine. No lenses to fiddle around with and test for hot spots and an excellent sensor to provide noise free images. It would cost me $1000 after conversion which is insane. It probably won't go down in price much until the other model comes along but I can't see myself buying it for much more than $500.

-- hide signature --
KLinLA Regular Member • Posts: 271
G1X's high pricing is likely exactly as Canon intended ...

There is the possibility that making the G1X NOT that attractive price-wise relative to DSLRs is exactly what Canon intended.

Canon and Nikon are the market leaders in DSLR sales and both have less incentive to grow the market of DSLR-alternatives (compared to Panasonic/Olympus/Sony). While Mirrorless higher end camera (ie. m43, NEX, etc.) still have relatively low sales in North America, they are rapidly gaining market share in Asia and Europe. I suspect the G1X and Nikon 1 are the respective companies 'just in case' or 'have something ready' hesitant first steps to address this.

 KLinLA's gear list:KLinLA's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads