Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions
Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,001
Re: Why not? It's a forum after all.

pixelmess wrote:

Buying for portability? Nonsense. It's too bulky to stay in any pocket including a coat pocket. Very obvious.

camerasize.com have added a feature where you can choose what lens to include on a interchangeable lens camera, below is a quick link to a comparison of why I might just choose a G1X over a T3i....
http://j.mp/ysAvL5

-- hide signature --
voz Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

pixelmess wrote:

You can grab a Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens for $650. Pair that with the Canon 55-250mm II IS (average $190) and it's clear that $800 for a fixed point & shoot is NONSENSE.

Ehh? You're clearly missing the point. I'm very interested in the G1 X. And I have a DSLR, which I plan to keep. That should give you some hints.

Swingline Contributing Member • Posts: 739

The t2i has been selling for as little as $450 body only on B&H and Amazon. $499 this week.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
gingerbaker Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

voz wrote:

...That should give you some hints.

He won't take them. He's oblivious to everything but himself in the center of his own little universe.

-- hide signature --
 gingerbaker's gear list:gingerbaker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
Lenscraft
Lenscraft Forum Member • Posts: 88

It's funny... Many people said the same things about the iPhone. Too expensive, missing features (keyboard, SD slot, etc.) People predicted it would never sell.

It did.

Lenscraft's gear list:Lenscraft's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more

pixelmess wrote:

That's your perception.

Buying a secondary camera more expensive than your primary (a dslr) is HARDLY ECONOMICAL.

My primary camera cost $2400.00. That's without a lens. You would have known that if you had bothered to check my gear listings before you shot yourself in the foot.

The secondary camera that is slower, limited, and inferior picture quality (compared to a dslr).

Is it signficantly inferior IQ?? It has almost as much detail as my 5D with an L lens on it. It has much better noise characteristics than my 5D. It has IS which none of my L lenses enjoys. It looks to me - and I do not know this for sure yet - that it will produce high-quality large prints under most lighting conditions. That means its IQ is plenty adequate.

Limited??? Man, you are really quite dense, aren't you? How many times do we have to keep telling you that for our purposes, it is NOT limited!?! It can do exactly what we want it to do.

Buying for portability? Nonsense. It's too bulky to stay in any pocket including a coat pocket. Very obvious.

Like my topic strictly dictates: G1X is a bad deal.

For you - yes. It's a bad deal!! We get that! hey everybody. listen up! This is very important to all of you!! For pixelmess, the G1 X is a bad deal!! It doesn't meet his needs as well as as a dslr system!!! He wants you all to know that!!! And to realize that what makes a bad deal for him means it must be a bad deal for you!! Remember, kids, its all about pixelmess!!!!. All the time. Everywhere. For ever and ever til the end of time.

PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,776

From MY point of view, for MY needs, I find the LX3 and complementary Canon TX1 are together smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the G1X or any combination of DSLR and lenses, and provide sufficient versatility and backup to meet MY travel needs. YOUR point of view and YOUR needs may well differ.

You can check my galleries to see the sorts of things I shoot. You cannot check the OP's to see what he/she shoots.
--
Cyril

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,225
On the other hand...

I would rather have a Canon G1 X than a small-sensor Nikon 1 or a old-mediocre-sensor Olympus PEN.

Sean65 Regular Member • Posts: 246

Everything OK with you guys?

gingerbaker wrote:

pixelmess wrote:

That's your perception.

Buying a secondary camera more expensive than your primary (a dslr) is HARDLY ECONOMICAL.

My primary camera cost $2400.00. That's without a lens. You would have known that if you had bothered to check my gear listings before you shot yourself in the foot.

The secondary camera that is slower, limited, and inferior picture quality (compared to a dslr).

Is it signficantly inferior IQ?? It has almost as much detail as my 5D with an L lens on it. It has much better noise characteristics than my 5D. It has IS which none of my L lenses enjoys. It looks to me - and I do not know this for sure yet - that it will produce high-quality large prints under most lighting conditions. That means its IQ is plenty adequate.

Limited??? Man, you are really quite dense, aren't you? How many times do we have to keep telling you that for our purposes, it is NOT limited!?! It can do exactly what we want it to do.

Like my topic strictly dictates: G1X is a bad deal.

For you - yes. It's a bad deal!! We get that! hey everybody. listen up! This is very important to all of you!! For pixelmess, the G1 X is a bad deal!! It doesn't meet his needs as well as as a dslr system!!! He wants you all to know that!!! And to realize that what makes a bad deal for him means it must be a bad deal for you!! Remember, kids, its all about pixelmess!!!!. All the time. Everywhere. For ever and ever til the end of time.

PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!
PIXELMESS!!!!!!!!!!!

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Join me -- hit "complain"

This is a thinly veiled commercial.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Camera wars

This cam war stuff is like sports teams...with the losing side...Sony, 4/3 Oly old/stuff, not seeing the light.

Soon enough all other brands will try to copy the G1X...which will by then be releasing the next version...like Canon was first with I.S. ...Someone has to be first.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100

Sean65 wrote:

Everything OK with you guys?

Well, I feel much better now.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
FJG3
FJG3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

All i know is that i have the T3i and can't wait to get my grubby paws on a G1x. So I read garbage like Pixelmess puts out with amusement.

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +17 more
Wayne N. Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
LOL! That was beautiful :)

Nice work gingerbaker!

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Rehabdoc Contributing Member • Posts: 919

pixelmess wrote:

You can grab a Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens for $650. Pair that with the Canon 55-250mm II IS (average $190) and it's clear that $800 for a fixed point & shoot is NONSENSE.

Canon T3i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130649716926+#ht_3150wt_1128

55-250mm lens

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%2055-250mm%20lens&_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

BTW, sellers are valid RETAILERS. Not sold as 'used' by private owners.

Agreed.

I have no idea why people pay $500 for an iphone, when you can grab a cheap laptop computer for $350, pair it with a 4G hotspot & tethering plan, and make unlimited voice calls through the web browser on Google voice. Much clearer calls, much better processing power, and faster internet connection!

Hell yeahs!

I don't know how they still manage to sell phones, when you can always just use a full size computer and make voice calls with it. People are stupid.

gadgets
gadgets Regular Member • Posts: 299

Rehabdoc wrote:

pixelmess wrote:

... it's clear that $800 for a fixed point & shoot is NONSENSE.

Agreed.

I have no idea why people pay $500 for an iphone, ...
... People are stupid.

But Pixelmess has an iphone.
Oh the irony.

Michel F Senior Member • Posts: 2,019
Re: Let me try again

I understand your point of view. I also have a DSLR and a few good lenses (Nikon) as well as an S95 and I can fully appreciate what this new camera could do for me (better images than my S95 though not as small and less clutter than my DSLR system), yet I find the OP's concern with pricing fully justified. Here in Canada the camera is available for pre-order at a price of $800. No matter how good the camera is I can't see this as being good value especially when funds are limited. Still I think Canon knows it will sell a lot of these anyway and profit is the bottom line.

I might buy a used one in a year or 2 but right now I couldn't justify the inflated price tag. When I think about the awesome lens I could buy for that price I want it even less.

linzybel wrote:

I own a 60D body with 4 Leica R-lenses. If I want the best APS-C quality pictures I can get, I'll take my 60D with as many lenses I need for a situation, grab my tripod, and set things up...

If I want good IQ at high ISO, a modest but acceptable range of mid-standard focal lengths (for portraits, street shooting, travel landscapes or indoor shots), a silent shutter optonal, in-my-jacket-pocket convenience [this is key] and plenty of manual control, the G1X looks pretty good.

It's NOT as portable as an S100. We get that. It doesn't have as good IQ as a MarkIII. We get that. It's a lot more expensive than a G12. We get that. But for a lot of situations where convenience and portability matter, and the G12 falls a little short in IQ (low available light?) the G1X is attractive.

-- hide signature --
Michel F Senior Member • Posts: 2,019

gingerbaker wrote:

This camera is for people with my needs, evidently not for people with your needs. If I did not already have a full dslr kit, there is no way I would buy this camera. This. is. a. camera. for. people. who. do. not. want. a whole. system.
--
Gingerbaker

A camera for people with needs and means. The OP was concerned about the camera's value for money asked, not only it's shortcomings.

http://gingerbaker.smugmug.com/

-- hide signature --
dswcamera Senior Member • Posts: 1,676
Its hardly about being "economical

Some people buy a Leica M9, sort of like a camera "Rollex"
It doesn't have to make $$ sense.
After all, isn't one camera enough?
Canon will sell a lot of them despite some like yourself not pleased with it.
Some will buy it as there one-and-only high-end P&S,
others will use it instead of their DSLR.

-- hide signature --

'A bad idea in search of a good cause is..
just a bad idea' ... me

sarlo100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,323
Re: Let me try again

Michel F wrote:

I understand your point of view. I also have a DSLR and a few good lenses (Nikon) as well as an S95 and I can fully appreciate what this new camera could do for me (better images than my S95 though not as small and less clutter than my DSLR system), yet I find the OP's concern with pricing fully justified. Here in Canada the camera is available for pre-order at a price of $800. No matter how good the camera is I can't see this as being good value especially when funds are limited. Still I think Canon knows it will sell a lot of these anyway and profit is the bottom line.

I might buy a used one in a year or 2 but right now I couldn't justify the inflated price tag. When I think about the awesome lens I could buy for that price I want it even less.

The difference between you and pixelmess is that you explained your position in a rational manner and in regards of what will work for you. He trolled and ran. As it stands, there are certainly a lot of people out there who agree with you and think this price tag is excessive, and will wait until it drops in 6-8 months. More power to them. I don't think I'll ever need it, I got too sweet of a deal on a m4/3 to be terribly interested. Doesn't mean I'm not damn glad to see this model make it to market. More choice is a win for all of us.

sarlo100's gear list:sarlo100's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads