Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions
pixelmess Forum Member • Posts: 66
Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

You can grab a Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens for $650. Pair that with the Canon 55-250mm II IS (average $190) and it's clear that $800 for a fixed point & shoot is NONSENSE.

Canon T3i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130649716926+#ht_3150wt_1128

55-250mm lens

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%2055-250mm%20lens&_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

BTW, sellers are valid RETAILERS. Not sold as 'used' by private owners.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
linzybel Contributing Member • Posts: 571
Re: Another reason why G1X is a BAD DEAL...

Why does that make the G1X a BAD DEAL?

If I want a high IQ camera that I can slip into my coat pocket and wander around a city all day, or go for a hike, or hitchhike around Europe, or kayak across Canada, or go to a concert where "pro" cameras are forbidden, or take pictures in a subway with a fairly small camera with a silent shutter... then your combo would be a BAD DEAL.

linzybel's gear list:linzybel's gear list
Canon EOS 60D
OP pixelmess Forum Member • Posts: 66

$800 for a fixed lens point n shoot.

For under $850, I get the flexibility of lens variation for future use. Better pictures with VERY CREDIBLE DIGIC processor.

Not to mention far far better pictures above iso 1600 (compared to G1X).

Your logic behind a coat-pocket camera is questionable since a G1X is still VERY BULGY inside a coat pocket.

Hardly portable. Easily inferior. Not even APS-C.

Autofocus... turtle-speed compared to T3i.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,594
Who are you trying to convince ...

... and why?

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
Why not? It's a forum after all.

Duh...

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Something else I never see anyone talk about is final output. Great you send an image or post an image on line, but most I would think make nothing bigger than a 4x6 print that I'll assume half of that population does not print or edit at home.

I think somethings are overkill like the price. On the other hand with the natural disasters and these manufactures in trouble I can only assume they are making everyone pay. Sure maybe its a stretch but by the time you are done this $800 camera can easily push $900 with accessories.

I would not be surprised if this camera like all others have limited shelf life but it still is hard to swallow that cost when competition like a DSLR or MFT's are right there.

I guess it comes down to getting used to the flag ship p&s prices of Ten years plus ago like Nikon's CP 8700, 5400, 8800 type. Hey I used to have the CP 4500 and that was a $500 type camera then at 4 mp's

gingerbaker Senior Member • Posts: 1,510
Re: Why not? It's a forum after all.

Go buy a dslr. Please. The G1 X is not for you.

Then, after you have owned a nice dslr kit for a few years you will realize that you really like the IQ it gives you, and you just won't be able to stomach a carry-round camera that has a small sensor and the IQ that comes with it.

And then you will realize why those of us who already have a dslr sytem are not interested in buying another system, but want a simple, jacket-pocketable camera that we can bring anywhere that still gives dslr quality.

We don't give a frack about its many and varied shortcomings compared to a dslr system. We have a dslr system for whenever the shot calls for it. I do NOT want another system to deal with. I don't want interchangeable lenses to carry around.

I want a compact camera that will allow me to take a wonderful image of opportunity with enough IQ so I can post process it easily and print it large. I know enough about photography that I can wring what I need out of the right camera for most situations. And this G1 X looks like it might be capable enough to be that camera.

This camera is for people with my needs, evidently not for people with your needs. If I did not already have a full dslr kit, there is no way I would buy this camera. This. is. a. camera. for. people. who. do. not. want. a whole. system.
--
Gingerbaker

http://gingerbaker.smugmug.com/

gingerbaker's gear list:gingerbaker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
linzybel Contributing Member • Posts: 571
Let me try again

I own a 60D body with 4 Leica R-lenses. If I want the best APS-C quality pictures I can get, I'll take my 60D with as many lenses I need for a situation, grab my tripod, and set things up...

If I want good IQ at high ISO, a modest but acceptable range of mid-standard focal lengths (for portraits, street shooting, travel landscapes or indoor shots), a silent shutter optonal, in-my-jacket-pocket convenience [this is key] and plenty of manual control, the G1X looks pretty good.

It's NOT as portable as an S100. We get that. It doesn't have as good IQ as a MarkIII. We get that. It's a lot more expensive than a G12. We get that. But for a lot of situations where convenience and portability matter, and the G12 falls a little short in IQ (low available light?) the G1X is attractive.

linzybel's gear list:linzybel's gear list
Canon EOS 60D

That's your perception.

Buying a secondary camera more expensive than your primary (a dslr) is HARDLY ECONOMICAL.

The secondary camera that is slower, limited, and inferior picture quality (compared to a dslr).

Buying for portability? Nonsense. It's too bulky to stay in any pocket including a coat pocket. Very obvious.

Like my topic strictly dictates: G1X is a bad deal.

the point & shoot is a decent camera, but not for its asking price.

GaryJP
Many can earn more than its asking price

... with one shooting assignment.

There is more than one kind of person in this world.
--

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
GaryJP
So unless it fits in your pocket it's not portable?

pixelmess wrote:

Buying a secondary camera more expensive than your primary (a dslr) is HARDLY ECONOMICAL.

Well, it certainly isn't portable than my primary, particularly with my F2.8 L lenses. (They include 5D, 60D, and 1D MkIII). It will certainly be more portable.

The secondary camera that is slower, limited, and inferior picture quality (compared to a dslr).

ALL cameras are compromises. Repeat after me.

Buying for portability? Nonsense. It's too bulky to stay in any pocket including a coat pocket. Very obvious.

Ha ha ha.

Some of us give enough of a crap about IQ to be able to deal with the HUGE inconvenience of a single camera on a shoulder strap.

Jesus, people carry around Macbook Pros heavier than this and don't complain.

-- hide signature --

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
OP...your nonsense is trivial indeed.

So much misunderstanding...so much to learn for you. I hope you are still young.

pixelmess wrote:

You can grab a Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm lens for $650. Pair that with the Canon 55-250mm II IS (average $190) and it's clear that $800 for a fixed point & shoot is NONSENSE.

Canon T3i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130649716926+#ht_3150wt_1128

55-250mm lens

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%2055-250mm%20lens&_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
GaryJP
Re: OP...your nonsense is trivial indeed.

Or very ... very .... old.

jonrobertp wrote:

So much misunderstanding...so much to learn for you. I hope you are still young.

pixelmess wrote:

Canon T3i

55-250mm lens

-- hide signature --

Right back at ya.

I was about to say the same thing about you... but you already know that.

Tsk, tsk...

gglockner
gglockner Regular Member • Posts: 162

Amen.

The G1 X is the pocketable 2nd camera for DSLR owners.

The whining about how "I see no need for a G1 X" is getting old, fast. If you don't want one, don't buy one. Simple.

gglockner's gear list:gglockner's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Lenscraft
Lenscraft Forum Member • Posts: 88

I don't understand why people are so intent on tearing this camera down. Why not focus on the camera you like, and stop obsessing about how much you hate hate hate the G1 X?

Lenscraft's gear list:Lenscraft's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
You missed the point...

Still doesn't change the fact that it's more expensive than a DSLR... for a none-dslr IQ.

Hey there's an idea...

Well I can AT LEAST agree on you on that...

creeker Senior Member • Posts: 1,450

pixelmess wrote:

That's your perception.

Like my topic strictly dictates: G1X is a bad deal.

the point & shoot is a decent camera, but not for its asking price.

And that's your perception. Why does the second camera I choose to buy have to be economical. What if I choose to buy a Leica? Bad deal for who........., you. As far as inferior images, that's not what the knowledgeable people in the industry are saying. What is it that irritates you so much about the fact that there's many people that think the camera is great and are willing to pay the price. If you think it's a bad deal don't buy it. It's the same bull every time a new product come out, all the self appointed experts bash the heck out of it as if liking a new item is diminishing the equipment they have. There are thousands of people that don't want to carry a heavy camera and 2 or 3 lens around. A camera with the image quality and features that the G1X has will make them very happy, whether you think it's a good deal or not.
regards
Ed
BTW posting in uppercase is considered as shouting, and rude.

creeker Senior Member • Posts: 1,450
Re: Right back at ya.

pixelmess wrote:

I was about to say the same thing about you... but you already know that.

Tsk, tsk...

Troll

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads