Proprietary cable on xz-1, WHY?

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions
mr_JA Forum Member • Posts: 88
Proprietary cable on xz-1, WHY?

Right, I recently bought an Oly xz-1 as supplement to my Nikon D700 kit, for when I can't be arsed to drag the big thing with me.

I'm really happy about the camera and everything, but one thing bugs me to no extend: The effing proprietary cable that I HAVE to use to charge the camera. The bloody cable looks like a mini-USB, but isn't... now if I go on holiday I need to remember to take yet another cable, why not some standard USB connection?

I'm completely lost why Olympus did such a stupid thing, it isn't necessary for wired controls; Nikon's SLRs have all a normal mini-USB connection and can be controlled completely (including live view) when connected to a computer.

Don't take me wrong, the camera is fantastic, but I just don't understand why Olympus would do something like this? There isn't a normal battery charger shipped with the thing either. Can someone explain me what the advantaged over this connection are over a normal, standard USB cable?
--
My picture sandbox: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7566693@N08/

Nikon D700 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
Re: Proprietary cable on xz-1, WHY?

The XZ-1 cable also includes Composite Video and Audio so it needs more wires for the video. I am not sure if the Live view you are referring requires a PC or not.

It is a shame that the XZ-1 cannot be controlled by a PC but then very few P&S support it these days.

Think about it. It is only an extra cable that you need to carry. The other end can be a generic USB charger. You can find XZ-1 compatible USB cable for $2 on eBay. If you want, you can even cut the cable to make a shorter one.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView +1 more
Kevdog
Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,424

It is the standard Oly cable for all their higher end cameras (DSLRs and micro4/3). The remote release cable plugs in there, so since this is an enthusiast model that added that support. It also supports the video out as mentioned above.

It's annoying, but you can get a couple spares for a few $$$.

I can share the same cable with my XZ-1, e520 and E-PM1.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,980

Kevdog wrote:

It is the standard Oly cable for all their higher end cameras (DSLRs and micro4/3). The remote release cable plugs in there, so since this is an enthusiast model that added that support. It also supports the video out as mentioned above.

As a nit, the E-1, E-300, E-3, and E-5 do not use the common Olympus cable, but use a standard mini-USB cable. The Olympus cable is a combined cable that has pins for:

• USB

• analog video out (QVGA 320x240 resolution)

• analog mono sound out

• Shutter release (RM-UC1)

• Power and charging in some models (not Pens, DSLRs)

Yeah, it is kind of annoying, but Olympus has done this for quite a few years. Fortunately the cable is the same in all of these cameras.

If you are interested, here is a pinout of the cable:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=23872082

It's annoying, but you can get a couple spares for a few $$$.

I can share the same cable with my XZ-1, e520 and E-PM1.

Note, for the smaller point & shoots, they now have a different combined cable that is smaller. The VG-120 I purchased as a pocket camera, does not use the same cable that the other cameras use.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads