How come no other cheapies like Nifty Fifty?

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions
Robert Krawitz Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Re: How come no other cheapies like Nifty Fifty?

photonius wrote:

Just a small note about filter diameters. There are limits in what is usually offered. Each manufacturer favors certain sizes and tries to maintain some standard so people don't have to buy too many different filter sizes.

Canon uses 52, 58, (any 6x ?), 72, 77, now 82mm.

There are a few 67 mm (70-200 f/4, 18-135 come to mind). I think the old 24-85 was a funny diameter also (62?)

Robert Krawitz's gear list:Robert Krawitz's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
kjbkix Regular Member • Posts: 230

Guys - the aperture is more than just some made-up number. It's actually the ratio of focal length to pupil diameter.

50/1.8 = 27.777mm
100/1.8 = 55.555mm

The 52mm and 58mm values you are quoting are the filter sizes. That's basically unrelated.

jvkelley wrote:

chromeshadow wrote:

I haven't seen my nifty fifty for a while, but I recall that the front glass diameter is a lot smaller than the filter ring size, so the point about doubling glass diameter/area may still be true even if the filter ring diameter doesn't scale.

That's a good point. Looking at the block diagram, I'd estimate the front lens on the nifty 50 is around 32mm or a little less. I stand corrected.

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
michi098 Contributing Member • Posts: 555

I remember back in the days, I had a Nikon FE and along with it three "Series E" lenses. A 50mm, a 28mm and a 100mm. The lenses were optically great and relatively affordable. Sure would be nice to see something like that for Canon, but I guess in this day and age, it's not going to happen.

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895

michi098 wrote:

I remember back in the days, I had a Nikon FE and along with it three "Series E" lenses. A 50mm, a 28mm and a 100mm. The lenses were optically great and relatively affordable. Sure would be nice to see something like that for Canon, but I guess in this day and age, it's not going to happen.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

they still exist:
CANON EF 100mm F/2.0
28mm f2.8
24mm f2.8 prices still similar to 20 years ago.

I paid for the FD 24mm f2.8 about the same in 1978

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
padang Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

Thanks for the explanations, it is very useful.

(Note: One of the the big advantages of mirrorless cameras is that they can have much wider-angle double-gaussian lenses while DSLRs are obliged to use retrofocus designs at those focal lengths.)

However, I still have to see the super cheap and light fixed primes. For instance:

yodermk Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Samyang 8mm

And add the $300 Samyang (Bower brand at B&H) 8mm fisheye and you have an ultrawide, albeit a specialty one. I like it though.

-- hide signature --

If it's a Single Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads