Olympic Park Swimming Pool Montreal

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions
Lawrie Silverberg Regular Member • Posts: 273
Olympic Park Swimming Pool Montreal

Has anyone been there? Interested in lighting conditions and seating. Trying to figure out what lens to use there. My friends' daughter is trying out for the Canadian Olympic team and I want to take some pics. I have a 85mm 1.4 D but don't know if the seating around the competition pool will be reasonable for this. My Tamron 70-300 VC would probably be too slow for this (I use D90). I could rent a 70-200 VR2, but don't feel like hauling it around all day just for a couple of minutes.
Any input would be appreciated
TIA,
Lawrie

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bmori Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: Olympic Park Swimming Pool Montreal

if you google Olympic Park Swimming Pool Montreal you will find some youtube videos.

Swimming pools are usually reasonable as far as lighting goes - you can always increase the ISO to 3200 with the tamron and get reasonable results. I have used 6400 with longer zooms and have had acceptable results, especially after using a suitable denoise software like topaz.

don't know what like it is in Canada but some countries are tichy about cameras in swimming pools , or DSLRs with long lenses at sporting events

cheers
Bill

OP Lawrie Silverberg Regular Member • Posts: 273

Hi Bill,

I found a couple of videos on YouTube. Lighting looks reasonable, but will need the length of the Tamron. I've never used ISO over 1000 on my D90 and will play with it. Thanks for the input.
Regards,
Lawrie

bmori Regular Member • Posts: 436

here is an example of a hand held shot at iso 3200 on a d90 with no noise processing.

exif is embedded

cheers
Bill

OP Lawrie Silverberg Regular Member • Posts: 273

Thanks Bill,

i've never tried high ISO, did too much ready . I've e-mailed the venue to see what their policy is on cameras. I'll play around with the camera/lens combo to see what I can get

Regards,
Lawrie

DBCapybara Regular Member • Posts: 407

I was there last Summer and took the tour. That is an amazingly huge complex of indoor pools. As I recall, it was reasonably well lit, not a dark cave. Who knows how close to the water you will be able to get though and the seating area is gigantic.

Good luck,

Dan
--
I am all about the images not the gear.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads