K-01 In All Black Looks Awsome !

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
K-01 In All Black Looks Awsome !

Saw a post somewhere where the K-01 was all black, it really looked good. Much better that the black and silver (which Pentax calls black), better than the white, and much better than the vomit yellow version.

I can't for the life of me wonder why an all black version is not available, I hope as time goes on one is, maybe in Japan.

wll

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,432
Re: K-01 In All Black Looks Awsome !

I believe there's an all White version planned for Japan.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
loock Regular Member • Posts: 405

This is my tuning, with no trafic lights

loock's gear list:loock's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Samsung Galaxy S9 +15 more
William Koehler
William Koehler Regular Member • Posts: 114

Very nice...when does it go on sale?

William Koehler's gear list:William Koehler's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +9 more
justin23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347

Because everyone makes all black cameras, and there are many people who think all black is boring and plain.

wll wrote:

Saw a post somewhere where the K-01 was all black, it really looked good. Much better that the black and silver (which Pentax calls black), better than the white, and much better than the vomit yellow version.

I can't for the life of me wonder why an all black version is not available, I hope as time goes on one is, maybe in Japan.

wll

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Poweruser Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Still an ugly box (nT)

No thanks

Msroberts Contributing Member • Posts: 724

Here's my rendering from Photoshopping two images together:

(I left the strap attachments chrome because I thought it looked better that way.)

I'm still not a fan of the overall design and all-black cameras are a bit common, but this does look much nicer to my eyes than the versions shown so far.

-- hide signature --
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,695

An all black verison almost makes me want to buy it.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795

Msroberts wrote:

Here's my rendering from Photoshopping two images together:

(I left the strap attachments chrome because I thought it looked better that way.)

I'm still not a fan of the overall design and all-black cameras are a bit common, but this does look much nicer to my eyes than the versions shown so far.

Your version looks fantastic. I reckon half the problem with the camera is the designer. Its a camera that is supposed to appeal to the core Pentax user base, who are a fairly conservative bunch and the designer has tarted the camera up to look like a caricature of itself. His design will not appeal to the core user base. Yours is way way more attractive. Send Pentax the design and a bill for half a million dollars.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
OP wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

This is what I'm talking about. The black version looks professional and business like, very clean.

I think that looks great. The silver looks, kinda Ok, but I would not buy it. The white version looks much better, and if I had to, buy that, the yellow version IMHO looks like vomit !

wll

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,049

HI,

Yes - a 1000% improvement. Still not sure that I'd buy one because I have a similar body with the same sensor and a mirror in it. OTOH, if I didn't already have a K5, the all black version would appeal to me a lot more. Pentax needs this option if it wants to provide a body that appeals to the more conservative photographic buyer.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892

Wellington100 wrote:

the designer has tarted the camera up to look like a caricature of itself.

The problem is that darned 40mm lens. So slim it looks ridiculous. With an 18-55, the whole package looks much more balanced.
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

Wellington100 wrote:

Your version looks fantastic. I reckon half the problem with the camera is the designer. Its a camera that is supposed to appeal to the core Pentax user base

Personally, I think the K-01 is designed to appeal not to the core Pentax user base but to newbies — people who have never used a real camera with a real viewfinder. The k-mount not only gives them instant availability of a huge lens assortment, it lets them keep most lenses when they upgrade to an SLR (only a few lenses will be "mirrorless only". But another important aspect is building up the declining k-mount user base to encourage third-party support: Tamron and Tokina have apparently stopped supporting the k-mount and Sigma seems to be offering only token support — people have been clamoring for the Sigma 150mm macro in k-mount for about two years and there's no sign of it yet (though Sigma says it's coming).

We need more people getting on board with k-mount and the K-01 seems like a step in that direction.

-- hide signature --
LFLee Contributing Member • Posts: 610

Pentax K-01 have a pipe that I laugh at.... until I saw
Olympus OM-D, that have a hump.

Isn't these are obvious design flaws?

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,432

Nice PP job. Taste can hardly be argued. As for one don't care much for the all Black. It's I admit a "very comfortable" choice, and I can see how an all black version would bring some folks into their comfort zone. For me, it takes away that rich machined aluminum solid and clean finish designer stylish look.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795

Model Mike wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

the designer has tarted the camera up to look like a caricature of itself.

The problem is that darned 40mm lens. So slim it looks ridiculous. With an 18-55, the whole package looks much more balanced.

I agree. One of the things Pentax could have done that both Samsung and Oly did when they made their cameras thinner and they were suddenly faced with a distance from rear of lens to sensor registration problem, is to have made the front portion of the camera a ring with the mount flush on the end of it

On the bottom right image below, the rear of the lens is actually part of the body but its so well integrate into the design that this is not apparent.

Instead Pentax have that ugly teardrop section behind the mount that makes the camera look heavy and miserable.

Even the pancake would have looked better with this arrangement

-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
loock Regular Member • Posts: 405

Pentax is not RED one, so no trafic lights:

loock's gear list:loock's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Samsung Galaxy S9 +15 more
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680

Buy a black body model, use this on the top plate:

You used to be able to buy replacement "skins" to replace the leatherette body covers on Pentax (and other brand) film cameras. I have a friend who used to own 5 Pentax LX with various replacement skins: Snake skin, etc. (And he had two more LX the he left original)

Perhaps Pentax could make optional cover skins for the K-01 to allow people to customize.

Here's a basic leather one (I may have a go at snake skin later!)

-- hide signature --
Dan Hein New Member • Posts: 8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads