Nikon D800 PC-E lens compatibility

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Sekundogenitur New Member • Posts: 22
Nikon D800 PC-E lens compatibility

Hi,

Nikon Europe today told me that, in contrast to the D700 and D300s, the D800 supports all possible shift and tilt operations of all PC-E lenses without any body conflicts.

Matthias

Sekundogenitur's gear list:Sekundogenitur's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D
Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Hurray!

Sekundogenitur wrote:

Hi,

Nikon Europe today told me that, in contrast to the D700 and D300s, the D800 supports all possible shift and tilt operations of all PC-E lenses without any body conflicts.

That's great. I suspected they must be at least usable in some way because one of the D800E sample images was taken with the 24mm PC-E.

-- hide signature --
Correction

Robin Casady wrote:

Sekundogenitur wrote:

Hi,

That's great. I suspected they must be at least usable in some way because one of the D800E sample images was taken with the 24mm PC-E.

Correction, it was the 45mm PC-E.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
denooyer Regular Member • Posts: 314
Re: Correction

This is great news! Thanks for asking Nikon.

People who shoot architecture and interior, like me, will be excited to finally get home after a shoot with all fingers intact...

-- hide signature --
Sekundogenitur OP New Member • Posts: 22

Hi Chiel,

just had a look at your homepage: great work!

Matthias

Nikon D800E Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D
dasams
dasams Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Re: Hurray!

Robin Casady wrote:

A D800 image taken with a 24 (or 45) PC-E doesn't say anything about whether the VF interferes with lens barrel rotation. Fingers crossed but my guess is that there will be interference. dave

dasams's gear list:dasams's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

No, according to Nikon Europe (statement from today!) there is no conflict at all for the D800!

Matthias

Sekundogenitur wrote:

No, according to Nikon Europe (statement from today!) there is no conflict at all for the D800!

Before hearing this, I was thinking that it would be a huge blunder for Nikon to bring out a 36 MP camera that didn't work well with all the PC-E lenses. A major demographic for this camera is made up of us tripod shooters—landscape, architecture, and products—and that is the demographic for the PC-E lenses.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

denooyer Regular Member • Posts: 314

Sekundogenitur wrote:

Hi Chiel,

just had a look at your homepage: great work!

Matthias

Thanks for the kind words!

Let's hope your and Nikons answer are right. No more dented fingers with the PC-E's!

-- hide signature --

Nikon Europe wrote:

1. vielen Dank für Ihr Schreiben. Das Objektiv "Nikkor PC-E 24mm f/3.5 D" ist vollständig # mit der Nikon D800 kompatibel. Tilt und Shift sind in jeder Stellung voll verwendbar. # Dies gilt auch bei der gleichzeitigen Verwendung des Batteriehandgriffs MB-D12.

1. Ich hoffe ich konnte Ihnen hiermit ein wenig weiterhelfen.

1. Mit freundlichen Grüßen

1. Marcel Diebold

2. Nikon Europe - Pro Support

-> Means fully compatible

Matthias

Marcin 3M
Marcin 3M Senior Member • Posts: 1,490
Great news...[nt]
-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
volvoben Forum Member • Posts: 75

Excellent news. Now launch a 17mm PC-E and I'll want for nothing

volvoben wrote:

Yes, yes!
--
Robin Casady

uphillslide Regular Member • Posts: 358

Robin Casady wrote:

volvoben wrote:

Yes, yes!
--
Robin Casady

How about three yeses? COming from Canon it's my one big fear: losing my wide tilt-shifts with independent axis tilts and shifts.

uphillslide's gear list:uphillslide's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha 7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
KaestenbauerCom New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Nikon D800 PC-E lenses are compatible

Hi,

Nikon D800 and PC-E 3,5/24 lens are compatible. We did a short video yesterday. Enjoy!
http://www.kaestenbauer.com/blog/files/c3bd67b94006f9b5d77a119dba59daf1-9.html

DvD5 Contributing Member • Posts: 831

KaestenbauerCom wrote:

Hi,

Nikon D800 and PC-E 3,5/24 lens are compatible. We did a short video yesterday. Enjoy!

Yes, I posted this the other day, though there didn't appear to be that much interest...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=41003212

Thanks for the video!

Don
--
http://www.dvd5.zenfolio.com

Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
17mm

wish Nikon made a 17mm PCe

dasams
dasams Senior Member • Posts: 1,037

KaestenbauerCom wrote:

Hi,

Of course it is compatible, that was never at question. But does the shift knob hit the vf? Yes, as shown in the video. So it functions the same as on a D700. dave

dasams's gear list:dasams's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
John Blake Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Nikon D800 PC-E lens compatibility

I have a D800 and a 24mm PC-E lens.
You indeed have maximum adjustment capability with this combination.

To make a shift adjustment(side to side)while taking a horizontal photo and rise and fall (up and down) adjustment while taking a vertical photo,the lock knob must be under the prism/flash housing. There is not enough clearance for the adjustment knob. With the D3 series cameras the position of those two knobs doesn't matter as there is plenty of clearance.

Out of curiosity I put the 24mmPC-E lens on my D700. To do a rise and fall and swing and tilt, I positioned the adjustment and lock knobs in the same positions as the D800
and I had full adjustment control.
John

-- hide signature --

f64 and be there longer

4x5 Guy Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Re: Nikon D800 PC-E lens compatibility

I did try the 45 PC on my D800. Now, it has been modified by Nikon so that the tilt and shift are on the same axis. No problems with any movement on the D800.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads