Is this normal???

Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions
Smufter Regular Member • Posts: 149
Is this normal???

Had some overnight snow in the UK and just tried to take a couple of piccies of the back garden using "Snow/Beach" scene mode on my E-PL1.

First time I have used it, and I was just curious as to what results it would give.

Seemed like the lens (standard kit) had a problem focussing. It initially focussed and was then hunting back and forth very slightly in a regular way. I was able to fire off a couple of pics (which wouldn't have happened had it not been able to focus at all) but just wondered if this was normal?
Rob

Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,361
Re: Is this normal???
 Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
OP Smufter Regular Member • Posts: 149

A tree at the bottom of the garden.

But it happened with whatever I was trying to focus on. Just kept shifting in and out very quickly and constantly.

grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,090

My guess is AFC and not enough contrast in the scene.

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

grapher wrote:

My guess is AFC and not enough contrast in the scene.

My guess too. AFC tends to "pulsate" - with the focused distance shunting evenly back and forth over a very small distance, at a regular rate, even with a lock on an object with half pressure held on the shutter release. Seems to be a characteristic of most CDAF systems (the Sony NEX cameras also do this).

herebefore
herebefore Veteran Member • Posts: 3,296

This shot took several tries to get focus.. The scene was much more GREY than my final PP'd image would suggest. The E-1 struggled for focus..

My EPL-1 struggles the same way on a snowy scene unless there is a strong contrast in the picture.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

OP Smufter Regular Member • Posts: 149

Dummies Guide to the rescue!

When in "Beach/Snow" scene mode, the camera is set to "continuous autofocus" and sequential shutter release mode. So it was that old devil "continuous autofocus" that was to blame!
That will teach me to read the manual!
Thanks a lot for your input.
Rob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads