Epson R2400 Printing extremly dark unusable prints

Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions
AdrianMannning New Member • Posts: 5
Epson R2400 Printing extremly dark unusable prints

I have been scouring the forum for the solution to my printer problem and although I have found a number of similar posts none seem to resolve my issue. Here is the problem and some background

Epson R2400 using CS2 and Lightroom 3.6 on Windows 7 all photo prints come out extremely dark

In the past I have had some beautiful prints from this printer both color on matte and black and whites. I did not use it for about six months and the heads got clogged I went through all the cleaning cycles and wasted plenty of ink then ended up using windex which did the trick. I have since replaced all of the inks twice over trying all the suggested methods.

1. Letting Photoshop handle the color management and turning all color management off on the printer

2. Letting the printer handle the color management and turning it off in Cs2 or Lightroom

3. The sample photo I have used prints perfectly if I send it to the lab to be printed

I have also tried printing from a different PC using CS5 HELP I am on the point of trashing this printer as I have spent hours of time and money on ink trying to fix this problem

Dash29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,444
Re: Epson R2400 Printing extremly dark unusable prints

Adrian I understand you position although give it some more time.

I had this problem and it turned out to be my Cis system even though id been having good prints previously.

What inks are you using?
What was your normal settings in the print options before?

OP AdrianMannning New Member • Posts: 5

I have always used epson inks but after the last round of testing decided to use some LD inks due to the cost and my view was it couldn't make the out put any worse than it currently is and it didnt

I normally let PS handle the the color and select the correct printer profile for the paper i am using Rendering Relative Colorimetric then on the printing preferences I select ICM then select Off no color adjustment select the corect paper and turn off high speed print.

i take it your colour and proof settings are correct within photoshop?

Yes I have also tried soft proofing

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,261
And.....

does it look dark as the prints do?

Bob P.

Re: And.....

The image comes up Ok on the softproof and I can even print the image to another printer (canon I9900) OK

Steve Dell Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: And.....

Generally, if you are getting "prints too dark," your monitor is set too bright. You didn't say, but if you are using an iMac, they are known for being much too bright.

As I understood your post and subsequent comments, you're changing inks and papers. Not to sound insensitive, but you are "chasing your tail." You are adding too many variables that all have an impact.

Try this:

• Obtain a monitor profiling device. (I use a ColorMunki, but there are others out in the market that work well.)

• Calibrate your monitor and continue to do so at least monthly. If there is sunlight in the room, close the drapes or blinds.

• For your tests, standardize on one ink system. While expensive, I'd start with the OEM inks.

• Either create (with the color profiling device you are using in the first step) or download a specific profile for the paper you are using from the paper manufacturer.

• Update your printer drivers

• Update Photoshop or Lightroom, if you haven't in quite some time.

• Select an image with a wide range of colors to print.

• From the printer driver, make sure you've set all the correct settings. The most important one is to turn OFF color management in the printer

• From your host program, PS, LR or whatever you use, make the appropriate selections.

• Soft Proof if necessary.

• Once you've been able to get satisfactory prints, continue this way for a few weeks.

• If you plan on using a CIS system or refill/3rd party inks, you'll need to recalibrate your printer profiles.

Yes, color management can be a bit challenging but it is certainly worth it when you are confident of the output.

I use the above system and I've been very pleased with my results. At this point, i only use OEM, Epson, inks for my 3880.
--
Steve Dell
Tucson AZ
http://www.stevedellphotography.com

Steve Dell's gear list:Steve Dell's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0

Adrian ive emailed you a profile

Looks like you found yor problem

You did the correct analysis.

1. You let the printer manage colors and the print was bad.

2. You tried two different computer systems with two different versions of Photo Shop and still a bad print.
3. You run the same workflows with your I9900 and the print is fine.
4. Your nozzle check is fine.

It sure is pointing towards faulty 2400 printer.

Delete the printer driver.
Delete the printer from devices
Reboot machine
Reinstall new driver

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R2400/Drivers-Support?target=driver&languageId=1&driverId=324801&defaultOSId=22&DRV_CATEGORY_CODE=DRV

Reboot machine
Setup photoshop
Print

Let us know if any difference

Please read all his posts!

He installed the printer driver on two completely different computer systems, using two completely different versions of Photo Shop, and still bad prints from the 2400.

Installed an I9900 printer and good prints!

Bob P.

Hi

I just wanted to thank everybody for there input i did some further tests last night cranked up an old XP box withe the original EPSON 2400R drivers and my control test prints still come out bad.

This proves out my last final doubt that it was a driver/operating system funny.

So the conclusion is that the printer has gone bad so I guess its time to replace it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads